2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Review: I must have gotten the good on

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Review

GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual)

I must have gotten the good one...
By Stan Balog on

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

2001 GLX "Sport" limited edition bought in 9/2002. In contrast to 90% of the reviews here, I have never had anything go wrong with this car. Not one thing. Three years of perfect servitude. My dealer could suck; I wouldn't know. Beefed up the turbo with a performance chip - this thing is an Audi TT with more headroom (6'2") but with a mushier suspension for those hard turns. Bought this as a winter car to complement my C5 Corvette, and it's held its own. Checked out this place to see whether to buy as it's going off-lease- all these other reviews made me think that I got lucky (maybe that's the 'limited edition' part?

This car is a sports car - especially with reprogramming. Outstanding car from getting from point "A" (home) to point "B" (work). Way too much power to apply to the wheels. Don't ask me my top speed in this outstanding car. Monsoon stereo rocks. Leather bucket seats rock. Me gusta.

Four-wheel drive as an Audi-esque feature, please! Bought as winter car - this light car stinks in heavy Chicago snow. Cupholders are gawdawful. Did anyone test them with real cups? Test- drove automatic tranny - way too wimpy. Gas mileage 21ish - I get 19 in my 8-cylinder Vette.