2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Review: Mine's Not So Bad

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel - Consumer Review

Mine's Not So Bad
By Karen on

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've owned my TDI Beetle for 8 years. Aren't the diesel Beetles built in Germany not Mexico? I have to say I've been very lucky compared to some of the reviews I've been reading. I did just have the timing belt changed at 100,000 miles, which was expensive! I owned a 318i which required the replacement of two air flow meters, so I sold it. Well, I had to replace my first one on the beetle in 2007 and I'm now on my next one. What's up with that! It's running crappy. Did have to replace the gas door, broken after 3 years. My mirror switch just broke. Headlight replacement, difficult but my husband figured out how to do it, not so bad, but $50 at the dealer.

Love driving it. Fells like a go-kart. Has a nice ride for a small car and handles well.

Maintenance!! German cars are way too particular and require too much routine maintenance. And check engine lights that you have to have the dealer check and turn off.