2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Review: Fun, economical, but too many

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Review

GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Fun, economical, but too many problems.
By Kristi on

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have been a VW driver my entire life and never even considered anything else, but this car has been a huge disappointment. The electric windows malfunctioned twice, the trunk latch has had to be fixed twice, the sunroof wasn't draining properly so every time it rained I had 2 inches of water in my car, the back seat head rests are broken, the lens cover on the headlight pops off randomly, and I have an electronic issue causing a drain on the battery, so the car is dead and has to be jumped about half of the time. Our neighborhood mechanic couldn't fix it so we took it to the dealer, they had it two weeks and still were unable to solve the problem. We sadly will not be buying another VW.

I love the look and feel of the car and love driving it, but we have just had too many problems with it.

I love the style, roominess and feel, but it seems VW is having some serious quality control issues that need to be addressed.