Used 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

For the Love of Torque
By linderov

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This has been a terrific car, very durable and reliable and looking good doing it. My kids don't ever complain about being cramped although I think they probably are. It's cozy and all their friends love it. With the sunroof and windows open, it's like a convertible, too, fun and loud, and like a party ready to go. Even though the car is now 6 + years old, it still attracts attention, and not just from kids, although kids really love it. It gets 45 mpg in mixed use, typically. I've never had problems here in Detroit with the cold weather and diesel. The diesel is quiet and pleasant sounding in normal use, and has a higher pitch singing sound when you hammer it to kick in the turbo.

My favorite features are the engine and the manual transmission. The diesel engine has tremendous power and runs like nobody's business even with a full load, including a loaded roof rack loaded up. Also, it is expertly nimble and easy to handle, and has a really nice 5-speed manual.

Those rinky dink cup holders jammed under the dash have to go. They take some getting used to, and you have to adapt to them - it's a skill that's learned, similar to the learning curve for tossing in the child seat. VW should figure out a way to have the seat fold down more neatly, too.

A Continuance
By lynnurd

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Less than a year after my powertrain warranty expired, my OBD II inspection failed. Apparently my second intake air flow is screwed up (dealer said it'll cost ~$500 to fix). To top it all off three days later, my blinkers went out. It's not the fuses, I can tell you that much. I am not going to get my money back on this car. I'm only driving it until I can afford another car - which will be a few years. VWs stink.

I still like my color (green), but it's really fading.

Don't try to redesign any more cars and don't make them so cheap.

I Wouldn't Recommend This Car
By j blackhall

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Though I love the looks and the "feel" of this car, I have had nothing but problems with it, mostly due to the electrical system. Within the last month I have had to drop approximately $2000 into repairs and the car only has $82,500 miles. I would not recommend this car to anyone!

extended dash,lots of headroom, easy fold-down seats (to store my bike in the back of the car)

improve the eletrical system

Fun, Functional, but Not Perfect
By manray

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was thrilled when the New Beetle came out. I finally purchased a loaded used, 2001. I love driving it! The fuel economy is good, comfort is great, styling is nearly perfect, and the stereo is fabulous. Some small complaints that I have are the poor design of the cup holders and the peeling door handles. I have not had any mechanical issues, except the ongoing mystery of the temperature and oil gauges coming on randomly. They chalk it up to a "VW quirk" (this is my 4th VW and all have had some kind of quirk).

That Beetle style! Moonroof, stereo, and overall driving fun.

Yes, please fix the peeling door handles and place the cup holders somewhere practical.

Cute on the Outside, Cheap on the Inside
By Brina

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have wanted a Volkswagen Beetle since they came out, and I finally got one last year. I admit it is a fun car, but having to replace the turbo already (before I made the first payment!) and having strange transmission problems, I don't know that I would buy another one. I would absolutely reccomend buying from a dealer, and spending the extra for the extended warranty! The inside is incredibly cheap and easily broken, but the cute flower holder makes up for part of that! It is still fun to drive, but it's going to my husband to drive the commute in, and I'm getting something different!

I like how it is different from everything else out there! It comes in cute colors and has a great sound system.

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but the interior stinks! Can we get better quality please?

• SUV