Used 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Great Economy Car!
By DN

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We purchased our '01 Beetle TDI for the sole purpose of wanting a car that was great on fuel and have been relatively happy with it. It's by no means a luxury car. It's loud on the highway, but great on gas. We average mid-upper 30s in the city and upper 40s on the highway. We did manage to squeeze out 54 mpg on the way out to Nevada last summer. I would recommend this car for the econo minded person.

Favorite Features

Great fuel mileage!

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders - what were they thinking? More comfortable seats. 5 speed auto transmission. More sound insulation. Better electrical system. The funky door locks are odd. The ever-so-popular "peeling" door handles.

The inside/outside of it all
By carrot soup

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Interior needs much improvement. Can't set taller cups in cup holders and cup stabilizers keep getting lost and drinks spill over. I purchased it as 3rd owner. Would love to have a diesel with convertible top but the diesel smell needs to be controlled somehow. Michelin tires look good on it. Love the shiny finish.

Favorite Features

I love to drive it. It is roomy. Love the moonroof, leather seats and power equipment (windows, mirrors (heated)). The diesel gets such great fuel mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Dash and entire door panels need to be better material, peels off, scratches and looks bad with just normal wear and tear. The gas door and trunk release is constantly in need of fix. The VW hubcaps keep falling off so need a better way to attaching them. I have endured much pain with so MANY REPAIRS

Fun, economical, but too many problems.
By Kristi

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have been a VW driver my entire life and never even considered anything else, but this car has been a huge disappointment. The electric windows malfunctioned twice, the trunk latch has had to be fixed twice, the sunroof wasn't draining properly so every time it rained I had 2 inches of water in my car, the back seat head rests are broken, the lens cover on the headlight pops off randomly, and I have an electronic issue causing a drain on the battery, so the car is dead and has to be jumped about half of the time. Our neighborhood mechanic couldn't fix it so we took it to the dealer, they had it two weeks and still were unable to solve the problem. We sadly will not be buying another VW.

Favorite Features

I love the look and feel of the car and love driving it, but we have just had too many problems with it.

Suggested Improvements

I love the style, roominess and feel, but it seems VW is having some serious quality control issues that need to be addressed.

Great car for your daughter in HS
By Suvacrew

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I'm an Audi guy, had one of the first TTs and they had some issues, now drive an A8. But got my daughter the Beetle Sport 5 spd, red and loaded. Have had NO ISSUES apart from the door handles chipping. It's very similar to the TT in drive quality, if not giving up 30+ HP on the engine and feels much lighter on the road. The Sport's lo-pro wheels give it a nice handling sensation and the brakes are much more manageable than in the Audis. Perfect car for a new driver in HS. Relatively cheap to insure, the wheel panels are plastic and cheap to replace (luckily have had no need to) and it's a total chick car. I feel it's a safe car to be in.

Favorite Features

Panoramic view for the driver, great dash lighting scheme, Monsoon sound system is primo.

Suggested Improvements

Relegate the arm rest to a lower location, it interferes with shifting and applying/taking off the parking brake. Always add an MP3 hook-up for tunes and make real sunvisors - these ones are useless.

For the Love of Torque
By linderov

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This has been a terrific car, very durable and reliable and looking good doing it. My kids don't ever complain about being cramped although I think they probably are. It's cozy and all their friends love it. With the sunroof and windows open, it's like a convertible, too, fun and loud, and like a party ready to go. Even though the car is now 6 + years old, it still attracts attention, and not just from kids, although kids really love it. It gets 45 mpg in mixed use, typically. I've never had problems here in Detroit with the cold weather and diesel. The diesel is quiet and pleasant sounding in normal use, and has a higher pitch singing sound when you hammer it to kick in the turbo.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are the engine and the manual transmission. The diesel engine has tremendous power and runs like nobody's business even with a full load, including a loaded roof rack loaded up. Also, it is expertly nimble and easy to handle, and has a really nice 5-speed manual.

Suggested Improvements

Those rinky dink cup holders jammed under the dash have to go. They take some getting used to, and you have to adapt to them - it's a skill that's learned, similar to the learning curve for tossing in the child seat. VW should figure out a way to have the seat fold down more neatly, too.