2001 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Burned by the BUG
By Booger Bug on 02/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Presently filing a lemon law suit. The car has been to the dealer more than 18 times: multiple areas of dash, etc. peeling, electric window would not roll up, would not go into reverse, rear brakes replaced at 24,000 - dealer said this was normal. Anyone else told this tale? Popping noise in front, radio replaced, rear latch replaced, glove compartment door cracked, heated seats burn your rear on 5 setting and settings 1-4 are hardly noticeable,and the list goes on. Dealer uncooperative; service department incompetent and unfriendly. Don't get bitten by the bug...run, run away.

Not so good this time either !!
By 01YellowSlugBug on 02/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd New Beetle. I owned a 98 and a 99 - both which had quality issues. I have been less than impressed with the 2001 as well. It seems that VW's quality hasn't improved much and it's customer service needs improvement. I will not be purchasing a 4th Beetle or VW at all.

Beetle Madness
By wlplumb on 01/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Wifey loves it! Clutch went at 8K mi. Dealer wanted to blame me. Roadside service provided damaged car but would not repair. Second clutch OK at 52K. Pieces fall off all the time. Cosmetic engine cover snapped in two in cold weather. Headlights fail frequently and cost $55 to replace due to stupid design of light housing. Front grille fall off all the time due to stupid design of fasteners. Interior: no illumination on half the dash so you can't operate the HVAC at night. Dash protrudes so your hand collides with it when shifting (it's a 5-spd.)

Expect Big Bucks for Problems
By bcbirdie on 12/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So far (1 month of ownership of a 1st complaint: the cup-holders are TERRIBLE!!!!!By far the worst design ever. Clearance is poor, the holders twist out, the rubber rings come etc. COMMUTERs BEWARE! 2nd, Expect costs to repair things to be outrageous! Headlights $94 minimum. 3rd complaint - To replace the key and the transponder, get this, $175+tax! ARE YOU KIDDING!?? Just a valet key is $125! While security is nice, for 2 sets of keys and a valet key at $500 buck this is ridiculous!

Think before you buy this car
By thinkagain on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned '01 Beetle GLS Turbo for the past three years, and found it unreliable car. Not to mention there have been numerous recalls which my local dealer can not fix properly, there have been many breakdowns such as 1. driver-side door hinge cracked within 2yr, 2. headlamp lightbulbs out 3. a portion of dashboard lights out 4. can not roll down passenger-side window due to major defect in window kit 5. rear breakpads wornout before 15K (I am not an aggresive driver). I strongly advise potential buyers to think before buying this car. Remember beauty is only skin-deep (some may disagree this is a beautiful car) !!

I love this car
By J man on 11/05/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my first car, and its better than any other car i was looking for. its fast and stops very quickly. handeling is very responsive.

Awesome Car!!
By lah572 on 08/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I love this car!! I have wanted one since they came back with it. It is very reliable for me and never have a problem with it. Everything works and my kids fight over who sits in thr front seat!

Do not invest into this car.
By AnnaM. on 08/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

When I first saw the bug,I can admit i was in love. As a college student,I saved every penny to afford this awesome looking car. I had to have the GLX-Turbo,leather and the fin.To be honest this car is the worst car built on the market. I have had my beetle in the shop for recalls over seventeen times. I have the dealership programed into my cell phone it is that bad. I pay for my car to be in the shop, on average I am only able to drive it two weeks out of a months. I highly suggest not to purchase this car.Unless you like spending time at the dealers service department.

Fun Yet Pragmatic
By Jabberwocky on 07/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Handles extremely well. It's not a sports car, but you're never lacking for power. Great gas mileage makes this a terrific commuter car for me. Even though it's a diesel, it isn't noisy. It has extra headroom (important for tall guys like me). Extras, such as the alloy wheels, carbon trim, side airbags, rear disk brakes, electic windows/locks are all standard features. Hey, it really is fun to drive!

bad
By scissors on 06/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a lemon that i can't lemon law. This car has 32000 miles and has been in the shop for everything but normal wear and tear. Air bags broke twice. oxygen sensor went bad twice also air pump and fuel lines. temperture sensor went once.I could go on and on. The air bags broke twice in 3 months. Do not purchase sooooooo not worth it at all.