Used 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

I Wouldn't Recommend This Car
By j blackhall

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Though I love the looks and the "feel" of this car, I have had nothing but problems with it, mostly due to the electrical system. Within the last month I have had to drop approximately $2000 into repairs and the car only has $82,500 miles. I would not recommend this car to anyone!

extended dash,lots of headroom, easy fold-down seats (to store my bike in the back of the car)

improve the eletrical system

Fun, Functional, but Not Perfect
By manray

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was thrilled when the New Beetle came out. I finally purchased a loaded used, 2001. I love driving it! The fuel economy is good, comfort is great, styling is nearly perfect, and the stereo is fabulous. Some small complaints that I have are the poor design of the cup holders and the peeling door handles. I have not had any mechanical issues, except the ongoing mystery of the temperature and oil gauges coming on randomly. They chalk it up to a "VW quirk" (this is my 4th VW and all have had some kind of quirk).

That Beetle style! Moonroof, stereo, and overall driving fun.

Yes, please fix the peeling door handles and place the cup holders somewhere practical.

Not for me
By lynnurd

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When I first bought my Beetle, it was great. Then all sorts of things started going wrong. My check engine light came on (which cost more for the diagnostic check then for the parts and labor) - 2 weeks later, it came on again... my dealer can't find anything wrong with it though. My headlight went out and I had to pay $45 for the dealership to fix it. Any time I have a problem, I have to take it to the dealer because no one else can fix it. Forget saving money on gas, you'll only spend it on oil changes because it uses synthetic only. I am NEVER buying an import car again. I'm going back to Chevy. I never had a problem with any of their cars! The only positive is it can cut in and out of traffic well.

The color - mine's green.

Make it cheaper / universal to fix.

Cute, but Not Worth It
By Scarlet

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My car is adorable and I love the way it looks. Unfortunately, I've had quite a few problems with it. The O2 sensor has gone 4 times in 3 years, the electric window motor has broken twice causing the window to not roll up, the button that opens the gas tank from inside broke making it unable to get gas (and I was on E), and now I am taking it in as we speak to replace the catalytic converter. Also, the cup holders obviously stink and I agree with a review I read that said the grill is too low to the ground. Mine ripped off from a parking space. Also, it is HORRIBLE in the snow. I've spun out twice. It doesn't have great pick up either. Such a cute car should not cause so much stress!

Of couse I love the way it looks. It's fun to drive because of how cute it is. The seat warmers are cool and there is tons of head and leg room for my 6'5" stepdad.

How about working on the little parts like the electric windows, gas tank button, and front grill. My gear shift stuck in park during my E-check!

*Sigh*
By peqy

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am a 17.5 year old male, who has been driving this car since I turned 16. I started driving it and really liked the ride. It was very smooth. The insides of the doors were peeling when I got it and continued to peel as I owned it for the next year and a half. I didn't like the looks that I got while driving it, most likely because I am a man. The cupholders are ridiculously placed, and the rubber things come out so the cups don't stay, when they actually fit under the clearance. I had to replace the brake light switch twice because it failed and wouldn't let me take it out of park. I was late to work twice. Also, a belt wore out towards the end. Overall this is a decent first car, but I am never buying another Beetle and probably not a VW either.

It has a great stock sound system, is very comfortbale, and has a smooth ride.

This car is unreliable, has terrible interior quality, and has bad cup holder placement.