Used 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Where to Start?
By Michele

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Wow! For such a cute car it has been terrible when it comes to repairs. Cat. Converter, alternator, Intake valve, check engine lights, oil pan, rear brakes, rear taillight, headlamp replacements, front spoiler, trunk latch, key replacement, cup holders, window regulator, peeling door, seats stain, interior panel lights, airbag light, small sun visor, loud engine on the highway, not as good on gas as you would think. I'm sure there's more. It seems nit picky, but really the issues are extensive. I had a 1995 Jetta and it was awesome!!! But this beetle is impossible. We want to sell it, but feel guilty passing it on to someone else! Maybe VW will buy it back, lol.

Favorite Features

Roomy head space, comfortable seats for travel, dash panel, interior chargers

Suggested Improvements

Well, I think I've exhausted this one. Hands down the interior looks crappy!

A Continuance
By lynnurd

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Less than a year after my powertrain warranty expired, my OBD II inspection failed. Apparently my second intake air flow is screwed up (dealer said it'll cost ~$500 to fix). To top it all off three days later, my blinkers went out. It's not the fuses, I can tell you that much. I am not going to get my money back on this car. I'm only driving it until I can afford another car - which will be a few years. VWs stink.

Favorite Features

I still like my color (green), but it's really fading.

Suggested Improvements

Don't try to redesign any more cars and don't make them so cheap.

The porsche of the middle class, the 2001 vw Beetle Vortex Blue Edition.
By vortexblue2001

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Purchased this Beetle in 2006 with 216,000 thousand miles. Now has 255,000 thousand miles. When i purchased the car it needed many things like 4 coils, 4 spark plugs, all the filters,brakes, etc. Basically a a deep regular maintenance. I spend about 1,500 hundred dollars which included the parts and labor to put it up to speed, of course i did not take it to the dealership otherwise labor alone will had cost me 1,500. After that never had a problem with it. I replace the water pump and timing belt 3years ago so i have another 60,000 miles more to go. The Beetle has a ( 5- speed manual transmision) thats one of the reasons the car has lasted this long.This car is a good car if you service it.

Favorite Features

Well i will say that everything the car comes with is just exactly what it needs. The Beetle best feature it is the 1.8 engine with the 5 speed manual transmission that comes with it, gives me about 25 mpg city and 35 hwy. It is a fast car that responds very well, fun to drive. The color on my Beetle is also a limited edition color named Vortex Blue with only 2,500 made worlwide. Also comes with leather, sunroof/moonroof, all power options, heated seats and much more features. I almost forgot that it has a rear spoiler that lifts up when your speed is over 90 mph. which is dificult to accomplish in U.S. due to the speed limit. I call this car the porsche of the middle class.

Suggested Improvements

I will had put a six speed manual instead of the five speed manual.

I Wouldn't Recommend This Car
By j blackhall

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Though I love the looks and the "feel" of this car, I have had nothing but problems with it, mostly due to the electrical system. Within the last month I have had to drop approximately $2000 into repairs and the car only has $82,500 miles. I would not recommend this car to anyone!

Favorite Features

extended dash,lots of headroom, easy fold-down seats (to store my bike in the back of the car)

Suggested Improvements

improve the eletrical system

Never buy volkswagen again
By Tina

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had so many problems with my car this year alone. Anything that could have gone wrong with it it did. I had to change the whole transmission in early january, then in the summer i had to change alternator alternator belt speed sensors and connector and battery. I will never buy a used vw or any vw ever again. All my expenses were more that $3000