Used 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

In for a surpise
By Superchiqa

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car, wanting a car with personality - and I got one. A bad personality. The car is fun to drive and is great to fit into places but it has its share of problems. 1st started having check engine lights come on (all the time!) for a "loose gas cap" then electrical problems that would come and go - chip in door latches "burned out" and the car would re-lock itself as I'm trying to turn it on, causing the alarm to go off. Then started having oil and gas consumption problems - that's just the main problems too! If you have money to keep up with the cost of VW repairs, then you could enjoy one of these cars.

Favorite Features

I love that it's not your typical coupe and it has some "spunk" to the design, love the look of the interior, love house spacious it is. Super fun to drive when it's in peak condition - very speedy!

Suggested Improvements

VW needs to step it up in quality - make cars that don't need to have pistons replaced because they shift to the side, make it easy to repair burned microchips, YES fix the cup holders!! Fix the interior material to be wear-resistant. Make it cost efficient to repair and maintain!

Great Car!
By Gabe

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Tremendous value. I put in an InMotion stage 2 kit with chip remapping and injectors .216. I had to put in a VR6 clutch because of all the extra power. I had a few electronic problems (instrument cluster replacement, a few recalls). Best car I've ever had!

Favorite Features

Comfort, performance, and exceptional gas mileage (38-45mpg!).

Suggested Improvements

Electrical, and cloth interior a bit fragile.

Cheaply made
By unhappy smith

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A joy to scoot about in and to park. It has had one thing after another break off in the car. It seems that they did not have the correct recipe for plastic. To replace costs $40.00 for each broken item. The trunk brake light has been replaced twice at $129.00 and this one has cracked apart. I am the only one driving the car. The cloth front seats are grossly stained, the explanation being that they got wet once.

Favorite Features

This is a fun and a safe car to drive when it is not lighting up one of the warning lights.

Suggested Improvements

Start looking at the poor quality and start improving. I will never get another VW product. I had one in 1971 and the integrity of the entire car was solid.

Style versus Quality
By jrainer

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My wife wanted a beetle ever since they released the new version. We bought a certified used, so had a warranty on it which has come in handy. Don't buy a Beetle without a warranty! We had 2 or 3 warranty repairs that would have been $400 or more. Now that it's out of warranty, we've spent about $1,500 on repairs that are quality issues, from leaking cooling systems to exhaust pipe cracks to window motors. The interior looks stylish but cheap and is cheap. The armrest, mirror adjust switch, and a cup holder are broken. Sun visors are worthless; back seat folds down to an odd and annoying position; glove box is too small.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive and drives like a performance car. Has great acceleration w/ the Turbo. Beautiful design. Transmission fluid doesn't need to be changed. Seats are fairly comfortable for long drives and interior is roomy.

Suggested Improvements

For the price, VW could do better on the interior quality. Parts are hard to get by my mechanic, and they're rarely in stock when I go to the dealer for repairs! The side rocker panel is easy to dent on curbs (yep, guilty!) and costs over $2,000 to repair because it's connected w/ entire side panel.

Fun To Drive and To Own!
By Heart Of Living

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had a few problems with the VW, but most were covered by VW. They replace the window clip, the trunk latch and I replaced the timing belt, brakes, and regular scheduled maintenance. I can't complain. In 5 years and 80K I have spent maybe 2K. That is in line with the cost of car repairs today.

Favorite Features

Styling, handling, the cute factor, durable leather, pick up, it feels solid, long trip comfort, it makes me happy! My husband took it to work in after a blizzard because his F250 slid off the road, and the Bug had no trouble!

Suggested Improvements

Interior components tend to wear easily. If you are careful and you are not rough on the car I think it looks great after 6 years, 80K and living in snow country and driving on dirt roads.