2001 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
So sad about my bug
By nomorebug! on 07/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I should have done a little more research about this car before I bought one... I fell in love with this car the moment I saw/drove it. It was beautiful, roomy, and a very comfortable drive. I loved the seat warmers too! But I've had nothing but problems since I bought it. The window control broke off, the gas door doesn't open all the time, the hatch doesn't open al the time, the turbo was having problems, etc. I'm so glad I bought the extended warranty. The gas mileage is also very bad, 14-18 mph and it needs premium gas. I might as well own an SUV. I finally got rid of it last week.

Bug for Graduation
By elidagirl on 06/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

the bug was bought to save fuel. It was boughtto comute to work & school. Four inches of clearance does not let it come to the ranch. It is a Cute city Car. Insurance is cheaper on ford big truck

Fast Fun Trouble
By kate_9999 on 06/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Love the ride...its a zippy little car and fun to drive, but I'm selling it as soon as possible. Its out of warranty and given the amount of problems that occurred within the warranty I'm not willing to risk my pocket book any further. Problems...headlights going out (cost $80 to replace), gas cap door broken 3 times, ignition key broken 2 times, rear brakes needed to be replaced at 20K...get real I don't ride the break, A/C problem $900 for a new fan, several recalls, hatch never worked correctly, service slow and you're waiting a month. Don't buy this car its fun but not worth the hassle.

Love the bug
By mariabug on 05/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The only problem with this vehicle is the front spoiler is low to the ground and gets damaged.

Good mileage...defective interior parts.
By Thebtls on 05/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Interior is covered in a plastic like material that peals off. If if wasn't for the 43 MPG I would turn it loose. The mileage is the only redeaming feature. Arm Rest latch has broken 3 times, cost $58 to fix at dealer cost...so that remains unfixed. Factory car mats are garbage. Cup holders can not be used at all. If you do use the one in the console, it cracks...all four are cracked now. If you spill coke or coffee, it eats away the finish on the cups...

Mexican
By Keith Henson on 04/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Before buying, please consider: Abnormal headlight failure, 3rd brakelight never worked, VW emblems fall off optional $600 wheels, rear brakes fail at 24,000 miles, each key costs $200 - about the size of an egg, plastic falls off all the time, plastic under car - $300; parking light lens $107. Can't reach filter to drain water as required; car too low to use ramps, difficult to get in reverse, has timing belt on diesel???? Buy Japanese for half cost and get 4 times the life.

Faster Than It Looks
By Tim Bob on 04/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Our 2001 Turbo Beetle has been a real hoot since day one! Ours has special limited-edition Vortex Blue paint, which seems to get noticed a little more and looks great with its black leather seats. The 150 hp 1.8 liter turbo motor and 5-speed manual really gives the car some punch, to the point that it seems to surprise some other drivers with its quickness. It's especially responsive while at highway speeds and the need to pass or speed up for a traffic opening happens. Response is "right now" in any gear. There no real turbo lag. It's been reliable and is now at 40,000 miles with no major troubles. My wife drives it most and she loves it, too.

A happy bee outside but mad bug inside
By Billy Tam on 04/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I own it for 2.5 years now. I wanna say so far most of the things are ran fine. I mean new car doesn't means no problems, but old car should be have some problems. So for my bug, while under warranty, it replaced fog beam light bulg, replaced rear brake pads at the 20k factory service, fixed the error on driver side window, and this is it. For the commute of 15 miles one way, it gets 24 miles a gallon city and freeway.

Fair, but fun to drive!
By Bob The One on 03/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been un to drive, and we got a killer deal on e-bay for it. But the engine light came on at about 32,000 miles and it has minor mechanical problems from time to time. But it sure is a cute car, and my wife loves to drive it.

Bursting the bubble
By kestrel on 03/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The Beetle is fun to drive and for the money delivers enjoyable performance. My complaints with the car lie in the maintenance problems that I seem to always have with it. Under warranty I had to replace a headlight, the emergency break lever, and the center console dash light. The last was not covered by warranty. After 30000 miles I have had to replace the cables that pop open the gas cover, the emergency break cables and one new tire, all of this in addition to routine maintenance. The aluminum spokes of the steering wheel show wear. Some of the rubberized plastic is pealing. The exterior paint started to chip and spider around the door pulls.