Used 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Fun To Drive and To Own!
By Heart Of Living

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had a few problems with the VW, but most were covered by VW. They replace the window clip, the trunk latch and I replaced the timing belt, brakes, and regular scheduled maintenance. I can't complain. In 5 years and 80K I have spent maybe 2K. That is in line with the cost of car repairs today.

Styling, handling, the cute factor, durable leather, pick up, it feels solid, long trip comfort, it makes me happy! My husband took it to work in after a blizzard because his F250 slid off the road, and the Bug had no trouble!

Interior components tend to wear easily. If you are careful and you are not rough on the car I think it looks great after 6 years, 80K and living in snow country and driving on dirt roads.

So fun it's crazy...
By BugBot

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is so fun to drive. The turbo rocks - people expect you to putter along because you're in a bug and you leave them in the dust every time. It's incredible in bad weather. Right after I bought it, I was driving in a downpour that was so bad that people were pulling over and I didn't even need the wipers! The windshield is like an airplane and all the water just blows off, and the wide wheel base is really stable. It corners like a BMW. I love it!

Turbo, heated seats, peppy as hell!

Fun, economical, but too many problems.
By Kristi

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have been a VW driver my entire life and never even considered anything else, but this car has been a huge disappointment. The electric windows malfunctioned twice, the trunk latch has had to be fixed twice, the sunroof wasn't draining properly so every time it rained I had 2 inches of water in my car, the back seat head rests are broken, the lens cover on the headlight pops off randomly, and I have an electronic issue causing a drain on the battery, so the car is dead and has to be jumped about half of the time. Our neighborhood mechanic couldn't fix it so we took it to the dealer, they had it two weeks and still were unable to solve the problem. We sadly will not be buying another VW.

I love the look and feel of the car and love driving it, but we have just had too many problems with it.

I love the style, roominess and feel, but it seems VW is having some serious quality control issues that need to be addressed.

Great car for your daughter in HS
By Suvacrew

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I'm an Audi guy, had one of the first TTs and they had some issues, now drive an A8. But got my daughter the Beetle Sport 5 spd, red and loaded. Have had NO ISSUES apart from the door handles chipping. It's very similar to the TT in drive quality, if not giving up 30+ HP on the engine and feels much lighter on the road. The Sport's lo-pro wheels give it a nice handling sensation and the brakes are much more manageable than in the Audis. Perfect car for a new driver in HS. Relatively cheap to insure, the wheel panels are plastic and cheap to replace (luckily have had no need to) and it's a total chick car. I feel it's a safe car to be in.

Panoramic view for the driver, great dash lighting scheme, Monsoon sound system is primo.

Relegate the arm rest to a lower location, it interferes with shifting and applying/taking off the parking brake. Always add an MP3 hook-up for tunes and make real sunvisors - these ones are useless.

A Continuance
By lynnurd

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Less than a year after my powertrain warranty expired, my OBD II inspection failed. Apparently my second intake air flow is screwed up (dealer said it'll cost ~$500 to fix). To top it all off three days later, my blinkers went out. It's not the fuses, I can tell you that much. I am not going to get my money back on this car. I'm only driving it until I can afford another car - which will be a few years. VWs stink.

I still like my color (green), but it's really fading.

Don't try to redesign any more cars and don't make them so cheap.