Used 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen New-beetle - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Like marriage - it's the little things
By behamsa

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I still love my bug after 8 yrs, but there are definitely some little & not so little design flaws that cause $$ and growls. Frequent headlamp replacements costly. Plastic "butter tub" under front of car gets thrashed regularly due to ridiculous clearance (Replaced several, lost count. Also the oil pan went with it 1 time!) Paint and rubber continues to come off door panels. Anything interior plastic is subject to break/replace over & over. (Window & climate controls, cup holder, gas door cable) And I have replaced so many cheaply glued hub cab emblems that I finally gave up! The devil is in the details on this car. Dealer service is $$$. But all said I still love to drive this baby!

Favorite Features

It's so darn cute, I can't stay mad at it! Handles well (except turning radius) and has so much pep w/o being a turbo, I pass others on a grade! Great gas mileage. Impressive climate control (unlike original bugs) Good visibility up front (not so much to back tho!) Seats are still comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

front undercarriage clearance & better protector! headlamp reliability & design not requiring 2 hrs to replace (Seriously!) Sun visors are a joke. Better interior plastic controls. And although we all sound like whiny babies, cup holders are essential to happiness in life...hehe. Bug's = sad.

2001 Volkswagon Beetle
By Jen

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've only been driving this vehicle for a couple of weeks. I bought it because of rising fuel costs and I thought I could save some money with this car. I can't complain about. What used to cost me $400 a month in gas is now costing me not even $200! Unfortunately what you save in gas will cost you at the mechanic. This car is EXPENSIVE to work on. As far as interior? Forget it! Chipping door handles, broken sideview mirror knob, broken, good for nothing cup holders, broken arm rest, cheap material easily stained seats, I could go on and on. In fact, just this morning, I went to start my car and the key broke off in the ignition! 2 weeks of driving this car and I'm ready to sell it!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive car, moon roof is great. Amazing gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

better paint, more comfortable seats, practical (and sturdy) cup holders, knobs that don't fall off, arms rests that you can actually rest your arm on, no more of those "flip out" keys with the cheap metal that breaks off and leaves me stranded.

Good riddance
By Theresa

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Being a baby boomer I just HAD to have one of these. Big mistake. Once things started going south it was fast and furious. The biggest downer was having to have the transmission replaced for $3500. While it was there they managed to find another $500 worth of work. Part prices are ridiculous. A dash light was always coming on for one reason or another. The cup holder was just plain dumb and there was no CD player--oh yeah--you could put one in the trunk if you wanted to. The gas mileage was terrible for a car that small. Overall workmanship was shabby. I have made it my mission to tell anyone who will listen how poor the overall quality is.Don't make the same mistake I did.

Favorite Features

It's cute. (Big deal) I did like the heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Put a reliable transmission in it. Get rid of the plastic cover beneath it. Give owner more than one remote keyless entry device without having to sell an organ to afford it. Improve cup holders. Set it up a little higher. Improve hubcap covers with VW emblems. Too much too list. Get the picture?

VW Not Such an Honorable Manufacturer
By Jon

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

It seems like shop mechanics are a thing of the past. Nowadays they plug the car into a computer for $200. It's a great car, but the temp light has started to flash on and off. Well we took it in to get looked at and were told in a bright tone that we'd need to get the engine replaced for $8000. When asked why. Because you're loosing oil pressure? Oh whats causing that? Hmm.. Don't know.. Can you find out? Yes but then we'd have to get dirty and open the engine up. That'll cost you $4000. So you think the engine is stuffed? It might be, or it might last 10 years, can't tell. I don't know whose to blame! VW, VW dealers or the car. I think I'll buy a horse. I will never buy a VW again!

Favorite Features

Black, turbo, cool radio and wheels

Suggested Improvements

VW should live up to the reputation they use to have and take pride in the quality of their product. If the car is poorly designed take responsibility for it.

Not too shabby car
By Retoo

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am a travel therapist and use my car to commute. It is pretty good on gas and I love the moon roof. It also came with a sporty racing stripe design on the doors... cute! Even though 'she' is 7 years old, I still receive compliments on her. My husband likes the gas mileage but says that he feels like the guy on the Simpsons when he drives it (he's 6'2). It's also a great car for wives who have problems keeping their husbands from driving their cars. :0)

Favorite Features

My favorite features are the gas mileage, the gas mileage and the moonroof.

Suggested Improvements

Those darn door panels are awful! The leather is peeling and so is the handle itself. The interior needs a serious upgrade and the ability to fit a booster seat in the backseat without needing a trip to the chiropractor.