Used 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Peppy car with lots of repairs
By twincitiesvwdriver

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car in 2002 used and at first the car was fun to drive. It has a lot of pep, gets a lot of looks, exterior styling is good. I have put on 50,000 miles since I got it and have had nothing but problems since about the first 6 months. This car has had electrical problem after electrical problem. Left me stranded on the side of the road and without a car time after time. The check engine light has not been off in 2 years even after countless very expensive trips to the dealer repair shop. Unfortunately, I think this car is so fun but I have been so burned by it I would not recommend even buying a VW to anyone.

Fun to drive (when it goes), stying on the exterior is fun too

Reliability!!

Run don't walk from this car!
By Angry VW owner

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car from a friend who had won it. So, I was considered a 2nd owner, so I got cheated out of a 50K mile warranty by VW, even though my friend never insured or drove the car. Beyond that the car is plain and simple--JUNK! The catalytic converter needed to be replaced at about 52K miles, VW wouldn't warranty it. They finally did up to 100k by that time I had over 100K. The check engine light has been on forever, and the transmission is sketchy. The interior is a mess. Cup holders broken, seat fabric is torn, rear view mirror is a joke, not to mention the interior light. Trunk release broken and the fuel release door broken. Don't buy this car unless your are a masochist

Headroom only, Sunroof is noisy.

Better quality everything. The car is an absolute mess from beginning to end.

Like marriage - it's the little things
By behamsa

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I still love my bug after 8 yrs, but there are definitely some little & not so little design flaws that cause $$ and growls. Frequent headlamp replacements costly. Plastic "butter tub" under front of car gets thrashed regularly due to ridiculous clearance (Replaced several, lost count. Also the oil pan went with it 1 time!) Paint and rubber continues to come off door panels. Anything interior plastic is subject to break/replace over & over. (Window & climate controls, cup holder, gas door cable) And I have replaced so many cheaply glued hub cab emblems that I finally gave up! The devil is in the details on this car. Dealer service is $$$. But all said I still love to drive this baby!

It's so darn cute, I can't stay mad at it! Handles well (except turning radius) and has so much pep w/o being a turbo, I pass others on a grade! Great gas mileage. Impressive climate control (unlike original bugs) Good visibility up front (not so much to back tho!) Seats are still comfortable.

front undercarriage clearance & better protector! headlamp reliability & design not requiring 2 hrs to replace (Seriously!) Sun visors are a joke. Better interior plastic controls. And although we all sound like whiny babies, cup holders are essential to happiness in life...hehe. Bug's = sad.

2001 Volkswagon Beetle
By Jen

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've only been driving this vehicle for a couple of weeks. I bought it because of rising fuel costs and I thought I could save some money with this car. I can't complain about. What used to cost me $400 a month in gas is now costing me not even $200! Unfortunately what you save in gas will cost you at the mechanic. This car is EXPENSIVE to work on. As far as interior? Forget it! Chipping door handles, broken sideview mirror knob, broken, good for nothing cup holders, broken arm rest, cheap material easily stained seats, I could go on and on. In fact, just this morning, I went to start my car and the key broke off in the ignition! 2 weeks of driving this car and I'm ready to sell it!

Fun to drive car, moon roof is great. Amazing gas mileage

better paint, more comfortable seats, practical (and sturdy) cup holders, knobs that don't fall off, arms rests that you can actually rest your arm on, no more of those "flip out" keys with the cheap metal that breaks off and leaves me stranded.

Good riddance
By Theresa

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Being a baby boomer I just HAD to have one of these. Big mistake. Once things started going south it was fast and furious. The biggest downer was having to have the transmission replaced for $3500. While it was there they managed to find another $500 worth of work. Part prices are ridiculous. A dash light was always coming on for one reason or another. The cup holder was just plain dumb and there was no CD player--oh yeah--you could put one in the trunk if you wanted to. The gas mileage was terrible for a car that small. Overall workmanship was shabby. I have made it my mission to tell anyone who will listen how poor the overall quality is.Don't make the same mistake I did.

It's cute. (Big deal) I did like the heated seats.

Put a reliable transmission in it. Get rid of the plastic cover beneath it. Give owner more than one remote keyless entry device without having to sell an organ to afford it. Improve cup holders. Set it up a little higher. Improve hubcap covers with VW emblems. Too much too list. Get the picture?