2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
I Wouldn't Recommend This Car
By j blackhall on 10/25/06 17:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Though I love the looks and the "feel" of this car, I have had nothing but problems with it, mostly due to the electrical system. Within the last month I have had to drop approximately $2000 into repairs and the car only has $82,500 miles. I would not recommend this car to anyone!

Fun, Functional, but Not Perfect
By manray on 08/31/06 14:59 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was thrilled when the New Beetle came out. I finally purchased a loaded used, 2001. I love driving it! The fuel economy is good, comfort is great, styling is nearly perfect, and the stereo is fabulous. Some small complaints that I have are the poor design of the cup holders and the peeling door handles. I have not had any mechanical issues, except the ongoing mystery of the temperature and oil gauges coming on randomly. They chalk it up to a "VW quirk" (this is my 4th VW and all have had some kind of quirk).

Not for me
By lynnurd on 06/26/06 07:52 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When I first bought my Beetle, it was great. Then all sorts of things started going wrong. My check engine light came on (which cost more for the diagnostic check then for the parts and labor) - 2 weeks later, it came on again... my dealer can't find anything wrong with it though. My headlight went out and I had to pay $45 for the dealership to fix it. Any time I have a problem, I have to take it to the dealer because no one else can fix it. Forget saving money on gas, you'll only spend it on oil changes because it uses synthetic only. I am NEVER buying an import car again. I'm going back to Chevy. I never had a problem with any of their cars! The only positive is it can cut in and out of traffic well.

Cute, but Not Worth It
By Scarlet on 06/17/06 12:13 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My car is adorable and I love the way it looks. Unfortunately, I've had quite a few problems with it. The O2 sensor has gone 4 times in 3 years, the electric window motor has broken twice causing the window to not roll up, the button that opens the gas tank from inside broke making it unable to get gas (and I was on E), and now I am taking it in as we speak to replace the catalytic converter. Also, the cup holders obviously stink and I agree with a review I read that said the grill is too low to the ground. Mine ripped off from a parking space. Also, it is HORRIBLE in the snow. I've spun out twice. It doesn't have great pick up either. Such a cute car should not cause so much stress!

*Sigh*
By peqy on 04/06/06 00:37 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am a 17.5 year old male, who has been driving this car since I turned 16. I started driving it and really liked the ride. It was very smooth. The insides of the doors were peeling when I got it and continued to peel as I owned it for the next year and a half. I didn't like the looks that I got while driving it, most likely because I am a man. The cupholders are ridiculously placed, and the rubber things come out so the cups don't stay, when they actually fit under the clearance. I had to replace the brake light switch twice because it failed and wouldn't let me take it out of park. I was late to work twice. Also, a belt wore out towards the end. Overall this is a decent first car, but I am never buying another Beetle and probably not a VW either.

Great fun, excellent performance
By Bob Ellenson on 12/01/05 15:45 PM (PST)

We recently purchased our Volkswagen Beetle GLX having previously driven a GLS for only a few months. What a world of difference! The interior is much nicer (leather, etc) and car just feels “tighter.” The seats are very comfortable and come with individual heaters (not that we need them much in Florida). The controls are easy to use and there is plenty of headroom and legroom (I have to scoot the seat forward and I am 6’2”). The GLS had some “trim” problems (door latch, light bulbs, etc) but the GLX has none of that. Last but not least is the performance with the turbo. The car flat gets out of the hole when you want it to. Add to all that the fluorescent green color and you have one fun car.

Fun and economical
By Dan & Karen on 09/03/05 11:11 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought our 2001 Beetle GLS 1.8L Turbo Hatchback a year ago and have had no problems with it, whatsoever. It's not as comfortable as a Cadillac but it's still comfortable, even on long trips. It's excellent on fuel, fast, and fun to drive (a modern and improved version of the classic Beetle). We enjoy waving to other Beetle owners on the road (sort of a cult thing). We also have two large artificial daisies in the vase on the dashboard which complement the car. Overall, we highly recommend this car for those who want something different, economical, and fun to drive.

Good, Solid Fun
By xbeetle driver on 08/18/05 16:33 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My 2001 New Beetle has proven to be reliable, stylish, and economical. I get a steady 26 mpg in my dail commute. It cruises easily above legal limits showing it was designed to run German autobahns. Great seats - no bun or back aches after a day of driving. Excellent German engineering at a rock bottom price.

It's the little things
By NL on 08/10/05 14:20 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car was not what I had hoped. The headlamps needed to be changed every two months, the gas door froze, then broke, the front console where the cups holders are broke. The a/c broke at one point due to a mechanical failure...a little piece of plastic broke inside the dash, ended up costing me $500 to fix. I've paid the car off and hoped to keep it until the engine died...but I think the inside will fall to pieces before that happens.

Nice looking but at a price
By nohoguy on 08/04/05 19:58 PM (PDT)

Bought the car because I liked the styling, the handling and the turbo engine. These good things about the car are lost in the inconvenience this car has brought me. Since I got this car four years ago, I have had five lightbulbs blow out - two in the headlights, two in the console and one taillight. The armrest has broken twice. Both power windows have malfunctioned. Plastic shielding has fallen out of the moonroof twice, one time falling on my shoulder. Worst of all, my ac failed right in the middle of summer, for my ac problem I went to an ac specialist who tested my ac for $0 while the dealership in Santa Monica wanted to test it for $200. No joke, these cars are very unreliable.