2001 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Cheaply made
By unhappy smith on 01/06/08 20:05 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A joy to scoot about in and to park. It has had one thing after another break off in the car. It seems that they did not have the correct recipe for plastic. To replace costs $40.00 for each broken item. The trunk brake light has been replaced twice at $129.00 and this one has cracked apart. I am the only one driving the car. The cloth front seats are grossly stained, the explanation being that they got wet once.

Style versus Quality
By jrainer on 11/30/07 07:05 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My wife wanted a beetle ever since they released the new version. We bought a certified used, so had a warranty on it which has come in handy. Don't buy a Beetle without a warranty! We had 2 or 3 warranty repairs that would have been $400 or more. Now that it's out of warranty, we've spent about $1,500 on repairs that are quality issues, from leaking cooling systems to exhaust pipe cracks to window motors. The interior looks stylish but cheap and is cheap. The armrest, mirror adjust switch, and a cup holder are broken. Sun visors are worthless; back seat folds down to an odd and annoying position; glove box is too small.

Fun To Drive and To Own!
By Heart Of Living on 09/18/07 20:17 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had a few problems with the VW, but most were covered by VW. They replace the window clip, the trunk latch and I replaced the timing belt, brakes, and regular scheduled maintenance. I can't complain. In 5 years and 80K I have spent maybe 2K. That is in line with the cost of car repairs today.

So fun it's crazy...
By BugBot on 09/12/07 14:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is so fun to drive. The turbo rocks - people expect you to putter along because you're in a bug and you leave them in the dust every time. It's incredible in bad weather. Right after I bought it, I was driving in a downpour that was so bad that people were pulling over and I didn't even need the wipers! The windshield is like an airplane and all the water just blows off, and the wide wheel base is really stable. It corners like a BMW. I love it!

Great Economy Car!
By DN on 07/05/07 22:13 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We purchased our '01 Beetle TDI for the sole purpose of wanting a car that was great on fuel and have been relatively happy with it. It's by no means a luxury car. It's loud on the highway, but great on gas. We average mid-upper 30s in the city and upper 40s on the highway. We did manage to squeeze out 54 mpg on the way out to Nevada last summer. I would recommend this car for the econo minded person.

The inside/outside of it all
By carrot soup on 06/04/07 20:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Interior needs much improvement. Can't set taller cups in cup holders and cup stabilizers keep getting lost and drinks spill over. I purchased it as 3rd owner. Would love to have a diesel with convertible top but the diesel smell needs to be controlled somehow. Michelin tires look good on it. Love the shiny finish.

Fun, economical, but too many problems.
By Kristi on 05/17/07 08:39 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have been a VW driver my entire life and never even considered anything else, but this car has been a huge disappointment. The electric windows malfunctioned twice, the trunk latch has had to be fixed twice, the sunroof wasn't draining properly so every time it rained I had 2 inches of water in my car, the back seat head rests are broken, the lens cover on the headlight pops off randomly, and I have an electronic issue causing a drain on the battery, so the car is dead and has to be jumped about half of the time. Our neighborhood mechanic couldn't fix it so we took it to the dealer, they had it two weeks and still were unable to solve the problem. We sadly will not be buying another VW.

Great car for your daughter in HS
By Suvacrew on 04/13/07 08:35 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I'm an Audi guy, had one of the first TTs and they had some issues, now drive an A8. But got my daughter the Beetle Sport 5 spd, red and loaded. Have had NO ISSUES apart from the door handles chipping. It's very similar to the TT in drive quality, if not giving up 30+ HP on the engine and feels much lighter on the road. The Sport's lo-pro wheels give it a nice handling sensation and the brakes are much more manageable than in the Audis. Perfect car for a new driver in HS. Relatively cheap to insure, the wheel panels are plastic and cheap to replace (luckily have had no need to) and it's a total chick car. I feel it's a safe car to be in.

For the Love of Torque
By linderov on 03/15/07 20:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This has been a terrific car, very durable and reliable and looking good doing it. My kids don't ever complain about being cramped although I think they probably are. It's cozy and all their friends love it. With the sunroof and windows open, it's like a convertible, too, fun and loud, and like a party ready to go. Even though the car is now 6 + years old, it still attracts attention, and not just from kids, although kids really love it. It gets 45 mpg in mixed use, typically. I've never had problems here in Detroit with the cold weather and diesel. The diesel is quiet and pleasant sounding in normal use, and has a higher pitch singing sound when you hammer it to kick in the turbo.

A Continuance
By lynnurd on 12/28/06 17:54 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Less than a year after my powertrain warranty expired, my OBD II inspection failed. Apparently my second intake air flow is screwed up (dealer said it'll cost ~$500 to fix). To top it all off three days later, my blinkers went out. It's not the fuses, I can tell you that much. I am not going to get my money back on this car. I'm only driving it until I can afford another car - which will be a few years. VWs stink.