Used 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen New-beetle - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

The inside/outside of it all
By carrot soup

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Interior needs much improvement. Can't set taller cups in cup holders and cup stabilizers keep getting lost and drinks spill over. I purchased it as 3rd owner. Would love to have a diesel with convertible top but the diesel smell needs to be controlled somehow. Michelin tires look good on it. Love the shiny finish.

Favorite Features

I love to drive it. It is roomy. Love the moonroof, leather seats and power equipment (windows, mirrors (heated)). The diesel gets such great fuel mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Dash and entire door panels need to be better material, peels off, scratches and looks bad with just normal wear and tear. The gas door and trunk release is constantly in need of fix. The VW hubcaps keep falling off so need a better way to attaching them. I have endured much pain with so MANY REPAIRS

For the Love of Torque
By linderov

This has been a terrific car, very durable and reliable and looking good doing it. My kids don't ever complain about being cramped although I think they probably are. It's cozy and all their friends love it. With the sunroof and windows open, it's like a convertible, too, fun and loud, and like a party ready to go. Even though the car is now 6 + years old, it still attracts attention, and not just from kids, although kids really love it. It gets 45 mpg in mixed use, typically. I've never had problems here in Detroit with the cold weather and diesel. The diesel is quiet and pleasant sounding in normal use, and has a higher pitch singing sound when you hammer it to kick in the turbo.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are the engine and the manual transmission. The diesel engine has tremendous power and runs like nobody's business even with a full load, including a loaded roof rack loaded up. Also, it is expertly nimble and easy to handle, and has a really nice 5-speed manual.

Suggested Improvements

Those rinky dink cup holders jammed under the dash have to go. They take some getting used to, and you have to adapt to them - it's a skill that's learned, similar to the learning curve for tossing in the child seat. VW should figure out a way to have the seat fold down more neatly, too.

Cute on the Outside, Cheap on the Inside
By Brina

I have wanted a Volkswagen Beetle since they came out, and I finally got one last year. I admit it is a fun car, but having to replace the turbo already (before I made the first payment!) and having strange transmission problems, I don't know that I would buy another one. I would absolutely reccomend buying from a dealer, and spending the extra for the extended warranty! The inside is incredibly cheap and easily broken, but the cute flower holder makes up for part of that! It is still fun to drive, but it's going to my husband to drive the commute in, and I'm getting something different!

Favorite Features

I like how it is different from everything else out there! It comes in cute colors and has a great sound system.

Suggested Improvements

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but the interior stinks! Can we get better quality please?

Good mileage...defective interior parts.
By Thebtls

Interior is covered in a plastic like material that peals off. If if wasn't for the 43 MPG I would turn it loose. The mileage is the only redeaming feature. Arm Rest latch has broken 3 times, cost $58 to fix at dealer cost...so that remains unfixed. Factory car mats are garbage. Cup holders can not be used at all. If you do use the one in the console, it cracks...all four are cracked now. If you spill coke or coffee, it eats away the finish on the cups...

Favorite Features

Fuel Economy...although every single owner of a diesel that I have ever met tell me they get better than the 42 mpg I get.

Suggested Improvements

Recall the interior parts that are defective and replace them...

Fun Yet Pragmatic
By Jabberwocky

Handles extremely well. It's not a sports car, but you're never lacking for power. Great gas mileage makes this a terrific commuter car for me. Even though it's a diesel, it isn't noisy. It has extra headroom (important for tall guys like me). Extras, such as the alloy wheels, carbon trim, side airbags, rear disk brakes, electic windows/locks are all standard features. Hey, it really is fun to drive!

Favorite Features

50 Mile per gallon! You only have to fill the tank once a month.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders are the only negative I have found so far. They stick a bit and the liner sometimes pops out.