Used 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Mine's Not So Bad
By Karen

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've owned my TDI Beetle for 8 years. Aren't the diesel Beetles built in Germany not Mexico? I have to say I've been very lucky compared to some of the reviews I've been reading. I did just have the timing belt changed at 100,000 miles, which was expensive! I owned a 318i which required the replacement of two air flow meters, so I sold it. Well, I had to replace my first one on the beetle in 2007 and I'm now on my next one. What's up with that! It's running crappy. Did have to replace the gas door, broken after 3 years. My mirror switch just broke. Headlight replacement, difficult but my husband figured out how to do it, not so bad, but $50 at the dealer.

Love driving it. Fells like a go-kart. Has a nice ride for a small car and handles well.

Maintenance!! German cars are way too particular and require too much routine maintenance. And check engine lights that you have to have the dealer check and turn off.

Best car I ever owned!
By Gravel Gertie

Husband & I bought this great diesel auto on a whim . Traded our 4 Runner in on it and I'll drive it till the wheels fall off. We get 50 MPG and will pass anything on the road. Has a manual tranny and that makes it more fun !! AND I still get 50 MPG with the A/C running! Why they stopped making them is beyond me! I love this car --- and it still has the original battery, going strong.

Interior has more than enough room for my 6'4" , 275 lb. bro-in-law.

Rear windows need to open.

2001 Volkswagon Beetle TDI
By Ben

Having driven everything from a Ford Thunderbird to a Dodge 2500 the Beetle TDI (Turbo Diesel Injected) was an interesting buy. The acceleration for the Beetle is not that bad. You must remember, it's a gas saving coup NOT a sports car. Folks made the same mistake with the Delorean. Driving experience is fun but not outstanding. Excellent reliability as long as the car is maintained properly. Remember, you get what you pay for. Interior is well designed but cup holders are not made for holding the average cup unless you're a hobbit. Paint is good but could use a thicker clear coat. Unless you are abusing it or are just rough on cars, this v-dub is a tough little sucker. Not luxury, but works

Love the interior. The colored backlight display is trendy. Reliable, but that's a given, it's diesel. Excellent impact ratings. Back seat folds down for more trunk space. City and country driving are fun. Seat- warmers!!! Monsoon sound system is OK.. Leather is well stitched. 54 Mpg. Enough Said.

Better exterior design is wanting. It's cute, but not THAT cute. Cup holders need to be able to handle more than a soda can. In-dash cd changer. Less annoying head rest. Good car, but demands respect, treat it well it treats you well. Parts Are expensive. Try a private shop of good reputation.

Great Car!
By Gabe

Tremendous value. I put in an InMotion stage 2 kit with chip remapping and injectors .216. I had to put in a VR6 clutch because of all the extra power. I had a few electronic problems (instrument cluster replacement, a few recalls). Best car I've ever had!

Comfort, performance, and exceptional gas mileage (38-45mpg!).

Electrical, and cloth interior a bit fragile.

Great Economy Car!
By DN

We purchased our '01 Beetle TDI for the sole purpose of wanting a car that was great on fuel and have been relatively happy with it. It's by no means a luxury car. It's loud on the highway, but great on gas. We average mid-upper 30s in the city and upper 40s on the highway. We did manage to squeeze out 54 mpg on the way out to Nevada last summer. I would recommend this car for the econo minded person.

Great fuel mileage!

Cup holders - what were they thinking? More comfortable seats. 5 speed auto transmission. More sound insulation. Better electrical system. The funky door locks are odd. The ever-so-popular "peeling" door handles.