Used 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

VW is great to me!
By I LUV VW!

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it used but the previous owner only had a slight problem with the moonroof. I've put tons of miles on it and very few problems. Something got in catalytic converter, and a radiator support thing snapped when I hit a 35 degree angle at 40 and bottomed out suspension. Great reliable car! Never fails to start (if you dont run down battery), very fun to drive, doesn't burn oil, sturdy trans! Great car!

I love how big the front seat space is: tons of head and leg room. Table like dash is used as a 2nd trunk. It's cute!

Make ride a little more comfy, and body a little more rigid. VW's already improving their engines with the FSI's: diesel techiques applied to gas engines!

I must have gotten the good one...
By Stan Balog

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

2001 GLX "Sport" limited edition bought in 9/2002. In contrast to 90% of the reviews here, I have never had anything go wrong with this car. Not one thing. Three years of perfect servitude. My dealer could suck; I wouldn't know. Beefed up the turbo with a performance chip - this thing is an Audi TT with more headroom (6'2") but with a mushier suspension for those hard turns. Bought this as a winter car to complement my C5 Corvette, and it's held its own. Checked out this place to see whether to buy as it's going off-lease- all these other reviews made me think that I got lucky (maybe that's the 'limited edition' part?

This car is a sports car - especially with reprogramming. Outstanding car from getting from point "A" (home) to point "B" (work). Way too much power to apply to the wheels. Don't ask me my top speed in this outstanding car. Monsoon stereo rocks. Leather bucket seats rock. Me gusta.

Four-wheel drive as an Audi-esque feature, please! Bought as winter car - this light car stinks in heavy Chicago snow. Cupholders are gawdawful. Did anyone test them with real cups? Test- drove automatic tranny - way too wimpy. Gas mileage 21ish - I get 19 in my 8-cylinder Vette.

Few Complaints
By Jillian Kennedy

I have owned my VW for nearly 4 years now and it has only recently started to give me problems, but most of my complaints about that would be with the local VW dealership and service department (Moffitt Volkswagen in Bossier City, Louisiana; my advice: do yourself a favor and go elsewhere). Other than that my VW has been an absolute joy to own and drive!

Good gas mileage, easy to handle, and cute! Love the flower vase!

Cramped backseat, minimal trunk space, and no CD player.

Disappointment
By Brenda Hall

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Int. door lining peeling off, sunroof side strips both broke off no apparent reason, self air filter change extremely difficult, passenger side head light out before 30K miles, dealer stated 2-3 sets brake pads replaced on rear before replacing front ones, replacement remote key overly expensive, underside of front driver side head rest separated (why?), disconnect battery & to many things to reprogram, expensive windshield replacement, fog lens cracked & entire light unit replacement vs lens only, gas mileage should be higher for such a small car, & front arm rest latch broke early on & 24K warranty was a joke.

Cute, 2-way sunroof, radio w/CD changer, lots of room compared to 70's models, heated seats & side mirrors, full size spare tire, comfortable w/ 2.0 having power when needed.

Better coating on interior door panels, front cup holders useless, put compartment on floor vs pull down front arm rest, better gas mileage, distribute brake pressure evenly front to back, longer warranty period, steel oil pan vs aluminum to prevent striping during oil changes.

So sad about my bug
By nomorebug!

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I should have done a little more research about this car before I bought one... I fell in love with this car the moment I saw/drove it. It was beautiful, roomy, and a very comfortable drive. I loved the seat warmers too! But I've had nothing but problems since I bought it. The window control broke off, the gas door doesn't open all the time, the hatch doesn't open al the time, the turbo was having problems, etc. I'm so glad I bought the extended warranty. The gas mileage is also very bad, 14-18 mph and it needs premium gas. I might as well own an SUV. I finally got rid of it last week.

Dash lights, roominess, seat heaters

Reliability, better gas mileage.