2001 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
BugabooX2
By on 01/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the second beetle that I have owned in a year (lost the first one to an accident) and I love it!! It's very safe and fun to drive! I love my heated leather seats...its nice in Vermont! The only complaint I have is the front cup holders in the standard! I cant even fit a water bottle in it!! Other than that I love it! Looking forward to the convertible model!!

Volkswagen: KING OF UNRELIABILITY
By netchic1 on 01/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought into the hype and really regret it. My 2001 NB Turbo is cute, but it's in the shop about 1 time every 2 months minimum. Headlights go out within 2 months of buying the car, radiator hose broke w/in 1 month of being new, battery just went dead b/c alternator was faulty, check engine light has gone on twice, door lock on driver handle pops out - been broken 2x, the center console latch broke, and this is all under 24,000 MILES!!!! VW service at dealerships are not all that great, I had an awful run in with the Boardwalk Auto Volkswagen in Redwood City, CA. Most VW Service Dealers are backed up with all the VWs that have problems.

Almost worth the Trouble
By youareslow on 12/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I leased my '01 Beetle and it has been in the shop about 4 times in the first 2 years for various things. They are all minor things, but still issues. The window regulators, the speedometer, center console, and gas cap have all failed since it was new. These are not huge issue's but should be noted. The window regulator has a recall so if you have this problem go get it fixed. Otherwise the car has been everything I hoped it would be. The Turbo motor is quiet, smooth, and very powerful. The heated seats are great in the winter and car is very quiet at highway speeds. Overall I would call the car "Not so trouble- free fun."

So far, so good
By Scmil315 on 12/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, this has been a good vehicle. Strengths would be interior room for drivers and front seat passengers (I am 6'2" tall), adjustable steering wheel, shift smooth and quick, vehicle provides a good feel of the road. Stereo is powerful, CD changer was a nice little plus. Added the bra to the front to protect the white paint from stone chips, a must on this blunt-nosed little buggy. Colors of the dash are driver friendly at night, with purple and red gauges that are easy on the eyes. Remote controls for entry are a nice plus too. Sunroof feels almost like a convertible! Wide tires give good road feel, but a little road noise sneaks through.

Disappointed!!!
By BaaadJenny on 12/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I thought I was buying a good, reliable car and ended up instead with a lemon. It's a 1.8 GLS turbo and has 21,500 miles on it. I like the look and the way it drives, but problems? Let's see...Gas door will sometimes open/close, sometimes not, trunk usually does not open with the remote or the inside switch, the screws fall out of the window levers, the driver's side window got stuck and the regulator inside the door broke, the passenger side door lock malfunctioned and had to be replaced. Shall I go on? Oh yeah, and the service from the dealer sucks!

Highway hazard
By raediem on 12/09/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Headlights burn out very quickly. Brakes replaced at 30K. Alternator replaced at 24500-of course out of warranty. Less than 500 miles later the battery died. At 37K the alternator needs to be replaced again. Door to gas tank is now manual. While driving car will jerk, electrical system dies at any speed then resumes. This is very traumatic on the highway!!!

"Milly" The Turbo Beetle
By Paul Hadley on 11/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

"Milly" has been a solid performer. Reliability has been good. The car is FUN to drive. Nice power to weight ratio. Service became a headache when I moved to Tucson, Az where there is just one Dealer and they know it. Even this is improved now that they have a new service manager. I have just traded "Milly" for another new Turbo Beetle...still searching for her name.

Sarah's Bug
By freeman525 on 09/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive but totally unreliable--Check Engine light stays on even after repeated trips to the selling dealer-- Interior: a niggtmare- plastic casings at seatbelt housing, temp gauge... have roken repeatedly after normal use

NOT FUN FOR LONG
By Chris Cain on 09/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car just over a year ago. I have never owned an auto with such poor reliablity nor have I dealt with a company that has such poor customer service. If you are thinking of buying a VW, I urge you to think again. I have owned many cars and none have been as poor in service as the New Beetle.

Most recognized shape in the world!
By Bug Me on 09/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

My 2001 Beetle TDI has 47K & not one single problem solid car! My Beetle is Cool White; loaded, with gray leather & every option I could order. I had the rims chrome plated; it has the Monsoon Sound system and WOW, talk about LOUD & clear! (It will blow you away) Very fun to drive handles extremely well & always gets attention from all ages. I can't go anywhere without having people approach me about the car. On the road I get the thumbs up, the peace sign, (better than the finger) people wave and kids jump up and down. A continuous 47–51 mpg. I commute daily 120mi round trip I figured with the fuel savings the car will pay for its self in 10 years.