Used 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Not for me
By lynnurd

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

When I first bought my Beetle, it was great. Then all sorts of things started going wrong. My check engine light came on (which cost more for the diagnostic check then for the parts and labor) - 2 weeks later, it came on again... my dealer can't find anything wrong with it though. My headlight went out and I had to pay $45 for the dealership to fix it. Any time I have a problem, I have to take it to the dealer because no one else can fix it. Forget saving money on gas, you'll only spend it on oil changes because it uses synthetic only. I am NEVER buying an import car again. I'm going back to Chevy. I never had a problem with any of their cars! The only positive is it can cut in and out of traffic well.

The color - mine's green.

Make it cheaper / universal to fix.

Cute, but Not Worth It
By Scarlet

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My car is adorable and I love the way it looks. Unfortunately, I've had quite a few problems with it. The O2 sensor has gone 4 times in 3 years, the electric window motor has broken twice causing the window to not roll up, the button that opens the gas tank from inside broke making it unable to get gas (and I was on E), and now I am taking it in as we speak to replace the catalytic converter. Also, the cup holders obviously stink and I agree with a review I read that said the grill is too low to the ground. Mine ripped off from a parking space. Also, it is HORRIBLE in the snow. I've spun out twice. It doesn't have great pick up either. Such a cute car should not cause so much stress!

Of couse I love the way it looks. It's fun to drive because of how cute it is. The seat warmers are cool and there is tons of head and leg room for my 6'5" stepdad.

How about working on the little parts like the electric windows, gas tank button, and front grill. My gear shift stuck in park during my E-check!

*Sigh*
By peqy

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am a 17.5 year old male, who has been driving this car since I turned 16. I started driving it and really liked the ride. It was very smooth. The insides of the doors were peeling when I got it and continued to peel as I owned it for the next year and a half. I didn't like the looks that I got while driving it, most likely because I am a man. The cupholders are ridiculously placed, and the rubber things come out so the cups don't stay, when they actually fit under the clearance. I had to replace the brake light switch twice because it failed and wouldn't let me take it out of park. I was late to work twice. Also, a belt wore out towards the end. Overall this is a decent first car, but I am never buying another Beetle and probably not a VW either.

It has a great stock sound system, is very comfortbale, and has a smooth ride.

This car is unreliable, has terrible interior quality, and has bad cup holder placement.

Great fun, excellent performance
By Bob Ellenson

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We recently purchased our Volkswagen Beetle GLX having previously driven a GLS for only a few months. What a world of difference! The interior is much nicer (leather, etc) and car just feels “tighter.” The seats are very comfortable and come with individual heaters (not that we need them much in Florida). The controls are easy to use and there is plenty of headroom and legroom (I have to scoot the seat forward and I am 6’2”). The GLS had some “trim” problems (door latch, light bulbs, etc) but the GLX has none of that. Last but not least is the performance with the turbo. The car flat gets out of the hole when you want it to. Add to all that the fluorescent green color and you have one fun car.

The look and styling. The handling and acceleration. The quality of the interior trim panels and carpeting. The vanity lights in the visors.

More cup space would be a bonus. No car should ever be sold without a CD Changer (we had to install one). The paint on the top of the door panel lends itself to scratching - should be upholstered.

Fun and economical
By Dan & Karen

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought our 2001 Beetle GLS 1.8L Turbo Hatchback a year ago and have had no problems with it, whatsoever. It's not as comfortable as a Cadillac but it's still comfortable, even on long trips. It's excellent on fuel, fast, and fun to drive (a modern and improved version of the classic Beetle). We enjoy waving to other Beetle owners on the road (sort of a cult thing). We also have two large artificial daisies in the vase on the dashboard which complement the car. Overall, we highly recommend this car for those who want something different, economical, and fun to drive.

Great gas mileage, drives and handles like a sports car, dash instrument panel lighting is unique.

This car needs better cup holders, reading lights (front and rear), and wider sun visors (the current ones aren't even big anough to shade your face).