2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Sort Reviews by

Love my used bug
By cy

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Well this is my first VW I swore I would never buy or drive a bug, but I love my bug. I got real lucky I found her in the newspaper one owner a folder of her records oil was always changed on time, new timing belt, brakes, water pump new sensors all leather int stick turbo heated seats mirrors, only thing is high miles all highway 20,000, but with all the new parts and its in mint I jumped on it for $2,300 cash I replaced the cat did the work my self ordered one on line and the clutch, so I have like a new car, I love her shes good to me to, to everyone that had problems sorry maybe your car was made on a fri or mon, they say those are bad days so don't buy a car that was made on that day, thanx

Favorite Features

STICK, TURBO, HEATED SEATS AND AWESOME SOUND SYSTEM 6 CD CHANGER....

Fast easy riding and driving Fun Bug
By zcarid

Each year the GLX has pleased us with the performance on long trips averaging 2500 miles. Cruises easily at highway speeds between 80 and 100 mph. Will go a lot faster but so will the police. Quick responsive steering and at end of long days feel like we have been treated to an easy ride. Visibility is great all around. Acceleration with the Turbo is a real safety feature in itself. Have had a few problems all easily fixed by family mechanic. Not a fan of dealer maintenance who seem to be way too expensive and eager to replace assemblies when an adjustment or a minor part is all that is needed.

Favorite Features

Visibility and head room are strongest advantages over most other cars. High torque and fast revving Turbo assures acceleration as needed is always there.

Suggested Improvements

Visors need to be lengthened and have fold out extenders length wise and fold-down or pull down extenders to block nearly horizontal sun rays.

Cute, but flaky
By Katherine

I've had the car over five years, after buying it used in 2003. Within 18 months, the alternator went out and had to be replaced, the clutch went out at 16,000 miles and had to be replaced (believe me, I do not ride the clutch THAT hard), the hoses had to be replaced twice, and the power windows both had to be replaced. Later, the blinkers and cruise control failed and had to be replaced (though it was always fun to flip the blinker switch and see what would happen. It would blink in some pretty spectacular random patterns, until it was fixed). It handles surprisingly well in the snow, but due to the myriad electrical and mechanical issues - I will not be buying a VW ever again.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Improved engineering/electrical - needs far better reliability!

Style versus Quality
By jrainer

My wife wanted a beetle ever since they released the new version. We bought a certified used, so had a warranty on it which has come in handy. Don't buy a Beetle without a warranty! We had 2 or 3 warranty repairs that would have been $400 or more. Now that it's out of warranty, we've spent about $1,500 on repairs that are quality issues, from leaking cooling systems to exhaust pipe cracks to window motors. The interior looks stylish but cheap and is cheap. The armrest, mirror adjust switch, and a cup holder are broken. Sun visors are worthless; back seat folds down to an odd and annoying position; glove box is too small.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive and drives like a performance car. Has great acceleration w/ the Turbo. Beautiful design. Transmission fluid doesn't need to be changed. Seats are fairly comfortable for long drives and interior is roomy.

Suggested Improvements

For the price, VW could do better on the interior quality. Parts are hard to get by my mechanic, and they're rarely in stock when I go to the dealer for repairs! The side rocker panel is easy to dent on curbs (yep, guilty!) and costs over $2,000 to repair because it's connected w/ entire side panel.

So fun it's crazy...
By BugBot

This car is so fun to drive. The turbo rocks - people expect you to putter along because you're in a bug and you leave them in the dust every time. It's incredible in bad weather. Right after I bought it, I was driving in a downpour that was so bad that people were pulling over and I didn't even need the wipers! The windshield is like an airplane and all the water just blows off, and the wide wheel base is really stable. It corners like a BMW. I love it!

Favorite Features

Turbo, heated seats, peppy as hell!

I Wouldn't Recommend This Car
By j blackhall

Though I love the looks and the "feel" of this car, I have had nothing but problems with it, mostly due to the electrical system. Within the last month I have had to drop approximately $2000 into repairs and the car only has $82,500 miles. I would not recommend this car to anyone!

Favorite Features

extended dash,lots of headroom, easy fold-down seats (to store my bike in the back of the car)

Suggested Improvements

improve the eletrical system

Great fun, excellent performance
By Bob Ellenson

We recently purchased our Volkswagen Beetle GLX having previously driven a GLS for only a few months. What a world of difference! The interior is much nicer (leather, etc) and car just feels “tighter.” The seats are very comfortable and come with individual heaters (not that we need them much in Florida). The controls are easy to use and there is plenty of headroom and legroom (I have to scoot the seat forward and I am 6’2”). The GLS had some “trim” problems (door latch, light bulbs, etc) but the GLX has none of that. Last but not least is the performance with the turbo. The car flat gets out of the hole when you want it to. Add to all that the fluorescent green color and you have one fun car.

Favorite Features

The look and styling. The handling and acceleration. The quality of the interior trim panels and carpeting. The vanity lights in the visors.

Suggested Improvements

More cup space would be a bonus. No car should ever be sold without a CD Changer (we had to install one). The paint on the top of the door panel lends itself to scratching - should be upholstered.

Nice looking but at a price
By nohoguy

Bought the car because I liked the styling, the handling and the turbo engine. These good things about the car are lost in the inconvenience this car has brought me. Since I got this car four years ago, I have had five lightbulbs blow out - two in the headlights, two in the console and one taillight. The armrest has broken twice. Both power windows have malfunctioned. Plastic shielding has fallen out of the moonroof twice, one time falling on my shoulder. Worst of all, my ac failed right in the middle of summer, for my ac problem I went to an ac specialist who tested my ac for $0 while the dealership in Santa Monica wanted to test it for $200. No joke, these cars are very unreliable.

Favorite Features

I love the large speedometer, style all around, handling, space inside, moonroof, and radio (except for am because it doesn't come in half the time).

Suggested Improvements

Improve the reliability. I have been to the dealership three times in one month once, it's very aggrivating. VW dealers are very expensive to service - $200 vs. $0 doesn't make sense. The ride can be harsh, the car feels like it can't make the turn on hard turns, there are vibrations in the car, and it jumps into - the engine is not smooth.

My Best VW Yet!
By David Pearson

I bought a 2001 Turbo New Beetle in October 2000 as soon as 2001 model came out and paid top dollar as there were no discounts. I have had the car almost 5 years and it has been the best new VW I have had - only 2 very minor problems with the electric locks & a dash light. Both problems were fixed right away without agrument. I have moved a few times so I have gone to 6 different dealers with a minimum of problems. The car is great, fun to drive, great looking and still gets a lot of stares. I would agree that the cup holders aren't good for tall drinks but I do not use them much. The car is great in the snow as I ski and take it to Canada, the only improvement - All Wheel Drive!

Favorite Features

Turbo Engine, Heated leather Seats, Pop Up Spoiler, Sound System, Does 105 MPH (at least)in style - looks great and it's fun to blow away bigger, more expensive cars or SUVs!

Suggested Improvements

All Wheel Drive, In Dash CD Player that holds 6 CDs (I have the optional 6 cd player in the hatch).

I must have gotten the good one...
By Stan Balog

2001 GLX "Sport" limited edition bought in 9/2002. In contrast to 90% of the reviews here, I have never had anything go wrong with this car. Not one thing. Three years of perfect servitude. My dealer could suck; I wouldn't know. Beefed up the turbo with a performance chip - this thing is an Audi TT with more headroom (6'2") but with a mushier suspension for those hard turns. Bought this as a winter car to complement my C5 Corvette, and it's held its own. Checked out this place to see whether to buy as it's going off-lease- all these other reviews made me think that I got lucky (maybe that's the 'limited edition' part?

Favorite Features

This car is a sports car - especially with reprogramming. Outstanding car from getting from point "A" (home) to point "B" (work). Way too much power to apply to the wheels. Don't ask me my top speed in this outstanding car. Monsoon stereo rocks. Leather bucket seats rock. Me gusta.

Suggested Improvements

Four-wheel drive as an Audi-esque feature, please! Bought as winter car - this light car stinks in heavy Chicago snow. Cupholders are gawdawful. Did anyone test them with real cups? Test- drove automatic tranny - way too wimpy. Gas mileage 21ish - I get 19 in my 8-cylinder Vette.