Used 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Ode to Jerry
By Greta427

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is not for anyone who can't handle a few (well okay, a lot) of quirks. Having driven this daily for three years and put 100K miles on it in that time I would describe this as a reliable car. Word to the wise all VW's have a timing belt, if it blows, chances are so will your engine :( I loved this car. It was super fun to drive, had lots of zip for a 4 cyl and with low annual maint costs. Keep up with the maint and you will have little to no serious issues. I would highly suggest replacing the timing belt sooner than recommended just in case. Overall, my beetle, Jerry was very dependable with few "real" problems. Check engine light was always on due to fault O2 sensor.

Fun to drive. Lots of headroom. Front seat pushed all the way up both front and upwards. At 5'4 I could almost stand in the backseat! Heated CLOTH seats were a nice surprise. Full size spare tire!

VW needs to get with the program. Get rid of the stupid timing belt and replace with a timing chain. No one wants to blow their engine over a belt! Fix the electrical bugs that keep the check engine light on when nothing is really "wrong" with the vehicle.

Great fun-to-drive automobile
By Patrick

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have been driving for more than two years and this is my favorite car. The authentic volkswagen sound, the internal computer, and the comfort level are amazing. The ECU could use some work however as it limits the revs and it changes the shifting pattern too often (due to adaptive transmission). The winter driving is ok as long as you do not give it too much gas, and you can even drop it down into 1st or second gear for better stability and torque. The flaws I do not agree with are the window motors, as they wear out quite easily. The O2 sensors go quite quickly as well, we have had the car for about 8 years and it has gone through over 14 O2 sensors. The handling is very good on turns.

Heated Seats, ABS, acceleration, cruise control, and the little noise the engine makes when running.

The car's exhaust produces a very loud low rumble when idling, which is able to be heard by neighbors down the street. When more passengers are riding, the acceleration of the car drops more than 50%, thus making it harder to enter onto freeways, a bigger engine or more horsepower would be nice.

Run don't walk from this car!
By Angry VW owner

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car from a friend who had won it. So, I was considered a 2nd owner, so I got cheated out of a 50K mile warranty by VW, even though my friend never insured or drove the car. Beyond that the car is plain and simple--JUNK! The catalytic converter needed to be replaced at about 52K miles, VW wouldn't warranty it. They finally did up to 100k by that time I had over 100K. The check engine light has been on forever, and the transmission is sketchy. The interior is a mess. Cup holders broken, seat fabric is torn, rear view mirror is a joke, not to mention the interior light. Trunk release broken and the fuel release door broken. Don't buy this car unless your are a masochist

Headroom only, Sunroof is noisy.

Better quality everything. The car is an absolute mess from beginning to end.

Like marriage - it's the little things
By behamsa

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I still love my bug after 8 yrs, but there are definitely some little & not so little design flaws that cause $$ and growls. Frequent headlamp replacements costly. Plastic "butter tub" under front of car gets thrashed regularly due to ridiculous clearance (Replaced several, lost count. Also the oil pan went with it 1 time!) Paint and rubber continues to come off door panels. Anything interior plastic is subject to break/replace over & over. (Window & climate controls, cup holder, gas door cable) And I have replaced so many cheaply glued hub cab emblems that I finally gave up! The devil is in the details on this car. Dealer service is $$$. But all said I still love to drive this baby!

It's so darn cute, I can't stay mad at it! Handles well (except turning radius) and has so much pep w/o being a turbo, I pass others on a grade! Great gas mileage. Impressive climate control (unlike original bugs) Good visibility up front (not so much to back tho!) Seats are still comfortable.

front undercarriage clearance & better protector! headlamp reliability & design not requiring 2 hrs to replace (Seriously!) Sun visors are a joke. Better interior plastic controls. And although we all sound like whiny babies, cup holders are essential to happiness in life...hehe. Bug's = sad.

2001 Volkswagon Beetle
By Jen

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've only been driving this vehicle for a couple of weeks. I bought it because of rising fuel costs and I thought I could save some money with this car. I can't complain about. What used to cost me $400 a month in gas is now costing me not even $200! Unfortunately what you save in gas will cost you at the mechanic. This car is EXPENSIVE to work on. As far as interior? Forget it! Chipping door handles, broken sideview mirror knob, broken, good for nothing cup holders, broken arm rest, cheap material easily stained seats, I could go on and on. In fact, just this morning, I went to start my car and the key broke off in the ignition! 2 weeks of driving this car and I'm ready to sell it!

Fun to drive car, moon roof is great. Amazing gas mileage

better paint, more comfortable seats, practical (and sturdy) cup holders, knobs that don't fall off, arms rests that you can actually rest your arm on, no more of those "flip out" keys with the cheap metal that breaks off and leaves me stranded.