2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Ode to Jerry
By Greta427 on 11/16/09 08:45 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is not for anyone who can't handle a few (well okay, a lot) of quirks. Having driven this daily for three years and put 100K miles on it in that time I would describe this as a reliable car. Word to the wise all VW's have a timing belt, if it blows, chances are so will your engine :( I loved this car. It was super fun to drive, had lots of zip for a 4 cyl and with low annual maint costs. Keep up with the maint and you will have little to no serious issues. I would highly suggest replacing the timing belt sooner than recommended just in case. Overall, my beetle, Jerry was very dependable with few "real" problems. Check engine light was always on due to fault O2 sensor.

Great fun-to-drive automobile
By Patrick on 06/10/09 15:15 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have been driving for more than two years and this is my favorite car. The authentic volkswagen sound, the internal computer, and the comfort level are amazing. The ECU could use some work however as it limits the revs and it changes the shifting pattern too often (due to adaptive transmission). The winter driving is ok as long as you do not give it too much gas, and you can even drop it down into 1st or second gear for better stability and torque. The flaws I do not agree with are the window motors, as they wear out quite easily. The O2 sensors go quite quickly as well, we have had the car for about 8 years and it has gone through over 14 O2 sensors. The handling is very good on turns.

Run don't walk from this car!
By Angry VW owner on 06/09/08 07:40 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car from a friend who had won it. So, I was considered a 2nd owner, so I got cheated out of a 50K mile warranty by VW, even though my friend never insured or drove the car. Beyond that the car is plain and simple--JUNK! The catalytic converter needed to be replaced at about 52K miles, VW wouldn't warranty it. They finally did up to 100k by that time I had over 100K. The check engine light has been on forever, and the transmission is sketchy. The interior is a mess. Cup holders broken, seat fabric is torn, rear view mirror is a joke, not to mention the interior light. Trunk release broken and the fuel release door broken. Don't buy this car unless your are a masochist

Like marriage - it's the little things
By behamsa on 05/11/08 16:33 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I still love my bug after 8 yrs, but there are definitely some little & not so little design flaws that cause $$ and growls. Frequent headlamp replacements costly. Plastic "butter tub" under front of car gets thrashed regularly due to ridiculous clearance (Replaced several, lost count. Also the oil pan went with it 1 time!) Paint and rubber continues to come off door panels. Anything interior plastic is subject to break/replace over & over. (Window & climate controls, cup holder, gas door cable) And I have replaced so many cheaply glued hub cab emblems that I finally gave up! The devil is in the details on this car. Dealer service is $$$. But all said I still love to drive this baby!

2001 Volkswagon Beetle
By Jen on 04/30/08 01:31 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've only been driving this vehicle for a couple of weeks. I bought it because of rising fuel costs and I thought I could save some money with this car. I can't complain about. What used to cost me $400 a month in gas is now costing me not even $200! Unfortunately what you save in gas will cost you at the mechanic. This car is EXPENSIVE to work on. As far as interior? Forget it! Chipping door handles, broken sideview mirror knob, broken, good for nothing cup holders, broken arm rest, cheap material easily stained seats, I could go on and on. In fact, just this morning, I went to start my car and the key broke off in the ignition! 2 weeks of driving this car and I'm ready to sell it!

Good riddance
By Theresa on 04/17/08 10:44 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Being a baby boomer I just HAD to have one of these. Big mistake. Once things started going south it was fast and furious. The biggest downer was having to have the transmission replaced for $3500. While it was there they managed to find another $500 worth of work. Part prices are ridiculous. A dash light was always coming on for one reason or another. The cup holder was just plain dumb and there was no CD player--oh yeah--you could put one in the trunk if you wanted to. The gas mileage was terrible for a car that small. Overall workmanship was shabby. I have made it my mission to tell anyone who will listen how poor the overall quality is.Don't make the same mistake I did.

Not too shabby car
By Retoo on 03/13/08 09:07 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am a travel therapist and use my car to commute. It is pretty good on gas and I love the moon roof. It also came with a sporty racing stripe design on the doors... cute! Even though 'she' is 7 years old, I still receive compliments on her. My husband likes the gas mileage but says that he feels like the guy on the Simpsons when he drives it (he's 6'2). It's also a great car for wives who have problems keeping their husbands from driving their cars. :0)

Cheaply made
By unhappy smith on 01/06/08 20:05 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A joy to scoot about in and to park. It has had one thing after another break off in the car. It seems that they did not have the correct recipe for plastic. To replace costs $40.00 for each broken item. The trunk brake light has been replaced twice at $129.00 and this one has cracked apart. I am the only one driving the car. The cloth front seats are grossly stained, the explanation being that they got wet once.

Fun To Drive and To Own!
By Heart Of Living on 09/18/07 20:17 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had a few problems with the VW, but most were covered by VW. They replace the window clip, the trunk latch and I replaced the timing belt, brakes, and regular scheduled maintenance. I can't complain. In 5 years and 80K I have spent maybe 2K. That is in line with the cost of car repairs today.

Fun, economical, but too many problems.
By Kristi on 05/17/07 08:39 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have been a VW driver my entire life and never even considered anything else, but this car has been a huge disappointment. The electric windows malfunctioned twice, the trunk latch has had to be fixed twice, the sunroof wasn't draining properly so every time it rained I had 2 inches of water in my car, the back seat head rests are broken, the lens cover on the headlight pops off randomly, and I have an electronic issue causing a drain on the battery, so the car is dead and has to be jumped about half of the time. Our neighborhood mechanic couldn't fix it so we took it to the dealer, they had it two weeks and still were unable to solve the problem. We sadly will not be buying another VW.