2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
The porsche of the middle class, the 2001 vw Beetle Vortex Blue Edition.
By vortexblue2001 on 02/20/13 21:44 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Purchased this Beetle in 2006 with 216,000 thousand miles. Now has 255,000 thousand miles. When i purchased the car it needed many things like 4 coils, 4 spark plugs, all the filters,brakes, etc. Basically a a deep regular maintenance. I spend about 1,500 hundred dollars which included the parts and labor to put it up to speed, of course i did not take it to the dealership otherwise labor alone will had cost me 1,500. After that never had a problem with it. I replace the water pump and timing belt 3years ago so i have another 60,000 miles more to go. The Beetle has a ( 5- speed manual transmision) thats one of the reasons the car has lasted this long.This car is a good car if you service it.

Looks are so deceiving...
By ncnurse on 08/05/11 13:01 PM (PDT)

I bought mine in March 2010 with 60k miles on it. She ran perfectly...for 6 months. The catalytic converter went out immediately followed by a wheel bearing. 2 months later the ignition coils and spark plugs went out. I've put around $2500 into this car, which I've dubbed Beelzebub since everything that can go wrong, has. The a/c went out at the beginning of this summer and now the gears grind when I put it into reverse. While the turbo is awesome (and the reason behind my 3 speeding tickets) the reliability just isn't there. I'm trading this car in a.s.a.p. because I refuse to put any more money into it.

At 168k, here's hoping for 200k+ miles
By ThunderBunny on 02/23/10 01:33 AM (PST)

This review is for an '01 1.8T New Beetle (Auto), GLS trim with 17" rims, sports suspension, leather (heated) seating, steering wheel & shifter, and sunroof. At 50k miles, the ECU was chipped to 1 BAR. Now at 168k miles I must say my NB's been an excellent vehicle. The only items fixed under warranty were coil-packs and a MAF sensor. I replaced the Cam Chain Tensioner, 2 Oxygen/1 MAF sensors, valve cover gasket and a few hoses at 154k miles. Otherwise, everything else works! (Knock on wood!) I guess I'm lucky as the NB is not rated highly for reliability. But with my other cars, I do my own maintenance/repair and follow the scheduled maintenance very closely. Hope it'll go beyond 200k miles!

Eh...
By Jon on 04/07/09 05:42 AM (PDT)

A really fun car for the first few years; peppy engine, tight suspension, solid feel. however, since then I've had recurring problems with the ignition coils, O2 sensor and coolant system. maybe it's a poor service department at the dealer where I've been taking the car, but I've noticed a drastic decline in performance (acceleration) and fuel economy. plus, don't let the size fool you, these cars are freakin' expensive to fix!

Peppy car with lots of repairs
By twincitiesvwdriver on 07/31/08 07:56 AM (PDT)

I bought this car in 2002 used and at first the car was fun to drive. It has a lot of pep, gets a lot of looks, exterior styling is good. I have put on 50,000 miles since I got it and have had nothing but problems since about the first 6 months. This car has had electrical problem after electrical problem. Left me stranded on the side of the road and without a car time after time. The check engine light has not been off in 2 years even after countless very expensive trips to the dealer repair shop. Unfortunately, I think this car is so fun but I have been so burned by it I would not recommend even buying a VW to anyone.

VW Not Such an Honorable Manufacturer
By Jon on 03/20/08 07:22 AM (PDT)

It seems like shop mechanics are a thing of the past. Nowadays they plug the car into a computer for $200. It's a great car, but the temp light has started to flash on and off. Well we took it in to get looked at and were told in a bright tone that we'd need to get the engine replaced for $8000. When asked why. Because you're loosing oil pressure? Oh whats causing that? Hmm.. Don't know.. Can you find out? Yes but then we'd have to get dirty and open the engine up. That'll cost you $4000. So you think the engine is stuffed? It might be, or it might last 10 years, can't tell. I don't know whose to blame! VW, VW dealers or the car. I think I'll buy a horse. I will never buy a VW again!

Great car for your daughter in HS
By Suvacrew on 04/13/07 08:35 AM (PDT)

I'm an Audi guy, had one of the first TTs and they had some issues, now drive an A8. But got my daughter the Beetle Sport 5 spd, red and loaded. Have had NO ISSUES apart from the door handles chipping. It's very similar to the TT in drive quality, if not giving up 30+ HP on the engine and feels much lighter on the road. The Sport's lo-pro wheels give it a nice handling sensation and the brakes are much more manageable than in the Audis. Perfect car for a new driver in HS. Relatively cheap to insure, the wheel panels are plastic and cheap to replace (luckily have had no need to) and it's a total chick car. I feel it's a safe car to be in.

Fun and economical
By Dan & Karen on 09/03/05 11:11 AM (PDT)

We bought our 2001 Beetle GLS 1.8L Turbo Hatchback a year ago and have had no problems with it, whatsoever. It's not as comfortable as a Cadillac but it's still comfortable, even on long trips. It's excellent on fuel, fast, and fun to drive (a modern and improved version of the classic Beetle). We enjoy waving to other Beetle owners on the road (sort of a cult thing). We also have two large artificial daisies in the vase on the dashboard which complement the car. Overall, we highly recommend this car for those who want something different, economical, and fun to drive.

So sad about my bug
By nomorebug! on 07/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

I should have done a little more research about this car before I bought one... I fell in love with this car the moment I saw/drove it. It was beautiful, roomy, and a very comfortable drive. I loved the seat warmers too! But I've had nothing but problems since I bought it. The window control broke off, the gas door doesn't open all the time, the hatch doesn't open al the time, the turbo was having problems, etc. I'm so glad I bought the extended warranty. The gas mileage is also very bad, 14-18 mph and it needs premium gas. I might as well own an SUV. I finally got rid of it last week.

Fast Fun Trouble
By kate_9999 on 06/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

Love the ride...its a zippy little car and fun to drive, but I'm selling it as soon as possible. Its out of warranty and given the amount of problems that occurred within the warranty I'm not willing to risk my pocket book any further. Problems...headlights going out (cost $80 to replace), gas cap door broken 3 times, ignition key broken 2 times, rear brakes needed to be replaced at 20K...get real I don't ride the break, A/C problem $900 for a new fan, several recalls, hatch never worked correctly, service slow and you're waiting a month. Don't buy this car its fun but not worth the hassle.