Used 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GL Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Never buy volkswagen again
By Tina

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had so many problems with my car this year alone. Anything that could have gone wrong with it it did. I had to change the whole transmission in early january, then in the summer i had to change alternator alternator belt speed sensors and connector and battery. I will never buy a used vw or any vw ever again. All my expenses were more that $3000

Fun to drive when its not in the shop
By EmHeCo

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car about a year ago as a graduation gift. With in the first two months the entire instrument panel went kaput. $700+ to replace. Found out, windshield whipper motor was burned out. Air conditioning went out. Then the gas door broke off, struts went, oil pan failed. Now...exactly a year later, its in the shop again. Head gasket, started and something else needing to be replaced after car overheated and broke down. I am not hard on her, I take good care of her, always oiled. But I have now put almost $4000 in to her. I admit it is really fun to drive, turns on a dime, parks like a dream and has some kick. When she isn't up on the lift.

Sporty handling, turns on a dime, corners great and sounds great for a 4 cylinder when going through the gears

Build quality, complete electronics make over, cup holders are just about useless, plastic breaks easily, and greater ground clearance.

Don't waste your money!
By Jess

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was the first car I ever bought and have I ever regretted it! It has absolutely no room. Not to mention all the mechanical problems I've had with it from the moon roof to the locks and the trunk latch breaking. It is definitely not worth the money. VW is way too pricey for this all around poor quality car.

It is fun to drive and easy to get into tight spaces.

Everything! The quality of this car is horrible. Everything on the interior needs to be better made. All the automatic locks, sunroof and automatic trunk latch should not break.

Where to Start?
By Michele

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Wow! For such a cute car it has been terrible when it comes to repairs. Cat. Converter, alternator, Intake valve, check engine lights, oil pan, rear brakes, rear taillight, headlamp replacements, front spoiler, trunk latch, key replacement, cup holders, window regulator, peeling door, seats stain, interior panel lights, airbag light, small sun visor, loud engine on the highway, not as good on gas as you would think. I'm sure there's more. It seems nit picky, but really the issues are extensive. I had a 1995 Jetta and it was awesome!!! But this beetle is impossible. We want to sell it, but feel guilty passing it on to someone else! Maybe VW will buy it back, lol.

Roomy head space, comfortable seats for travel, dash panel, interior chargers

Well, I think I've exhausted this one. Hands down the interior looks crappy!

In for a surpise
By Superchiqa

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car, wanting a car with personality - and I got one. A bad personality. The car is fun to drive and is great to fit into places but it has its share of problems. 1st started having check engine lights come on (all the time!) for a "loose gas cap" then electrical problems that would come and go - chip in door latches "burned out" and the car would re-lock itself as I'm trying to turn it on, causing the alarm to go off. Then started having oil and gas consumption problems - that's just the main problems too! If you have money to keep up with the cost of VW repairs, then you could enjoy one of these cars.

I love that it's not your typical coupe and it has some "spunk" to the design, love the look of the interior, love house spacious it is. Super fun to drive when it's in peak condition - very speedy!

VW needs to step it up in quality - make cars that don't need to have pistons replaced because they shift to the side, make it easy to repair burned microchips, YES fix the cup holders!! Fix the interior material to be wear-resistant. Make it cost efficient to repair and maintain!