Used 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen New-beetle - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

The porsche of the middle class, the 2001 vw Beetle Vortex Blue Edition.
By vortexblue2001

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Purchased this Beetle in 2006 with 216,000 thousand miles. Now has 255,000 thousand miles. When i purchased the car it needed many things like 4 coils, 4 spark plugs, all the filters,brakes, etc. Basically a a deep regular maintenance. I spend about 1,500 hundred dollars which included the parts and labor to put it up to speed, of course i did not take it to the dealership otherwise labor alone will had cost me 1,500. After that never had a problem with it. I replace the water pump and timing belt 3years ago so i have another 60,000 miles more to go. The Beetle has a ( 5- speed manual transmision) thats one of the reasons the car has lasted this long.This car is a good car if you service it.

Favorite Features

Well i will say that everything the car comes with is just exactly what it needs. The Beetle best feature it is the 1.8 engine with the 5 speed manual transmission that comes with it, gives me about 25 mpg city and 35 hwy. It is a fast car that responds very well, fun to drive. The color on my Beetle is also a limited edition color named Vortex Blue with only 2,500 made worlwide. Also comes with leather, sunroof/moonroof, all power options, heated seats and much more features. I almost forgot that it has a rear spoiler that lifts up when your speed is over 90 mph. which is dificult to accomplish in U.S. due to the speed limit. I call this car the porsche of the middle class.

Suggested Improvements

I will had put a six speed manual instead of the five speed manual.

Never ever again will I buy a VW (any)
By davemoon22

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

1st Beelte had a bunch of issues (a/c, batteries would never last over a few months, oil leaking - had to do a major repair, then sold it). Second, a 2001 with 70k, has had more issues than I can possibly recall. I must have spent over 7k withing a 9 month period. Ridiculous. The major problem I have is with the dealerships. They'll diagnose something is wrong, you get that done, the car still has the same issue and then they will tell you "Oh, well, then, it must be something else" Replace driver's seatbelt buckle, both windows regulators, cam shaft adjuster, turn signal relay, inner tie rods, valve cover gasket, pcv hose, door latch and list goes on: all major $$$ repairs.

Constantly breaks down
By chvie06

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

After owning this car for about 2 years, it started giving me problems. I spent over 2,000 dollars within 2 months on repairs before finally getting rid of it. I had to get 2 new batteries (the first one only lasted a year), new alternator, new valves and hoses, turbo cut off valve, battery fuse panel, alternator harness, ball joints, shocks, and new brakes and tires (brakes and tires were understandable, though). Right before I got rid of it, it wouldn't accelerate and wouldn't exceed 5 mph. The sealed system was also frustrating because you couldn't do simple tasks like refill the brake fluid by yourself. You have to take it in to a VW shop and pay for everything.

Looks are so deceiving...
By ncnurse

I bought mine in March 2010 with 60k miles on it. She ran perfectly...for 6 months. The catalytic converter went out immediately followed by a wheel bearing. 2 months later the ignition coils and spark plugs went out. I've put around $2500 into this car, which I've dubbed Beelzebub since everything that can go wrong, has. The a/c went out at the beginning of this summer and now the gears grind when I put it into reverse. While the turbo is awesome (and the reason behind my 3 speeding tickets) the reliability just isn't there. I'm trading this car in a.s.a.p. because I refuse to put any more money into it.

Favorite Features

Turbo engine is awesome. Sound system isn't too shabby either.

Suggested Improvements

Improve quality. Buy Honda...

At 168k, here's hoping for 200k+ miles
By ThunderBunny

This review is for an '01 1.8T New Beetle (Auto), GLS trim with 17" rims, sports suspension, leather (heated) seating, steering wheel & shifter, and sunroof. At 50k miles, the ECU was chipped to 1 BAR. Now at 168k miles I must say my NB's been an excellent vehicle. The only items fixed under warranty were coil-packs and a MAF sensor. I replaced the Cam Chain Tensioner, 2 Oxygen/1 MAF sensors, valve cover gasket and a few hoses at 154k miles. Otherwise, everything else works! (Knock on wood!) I guess I'm lucky as the NB is not rated highly for reliability. But with my other cars, I do my own maintenance/repair and follow the scheduled maintenance very closely. Hope it'll go beyond 200k miles!

Favorite Features

Very nice design work - in and out - by J. Mays. Very roomy for front passengers. Huge dash board. Big cargo area w/rear bench folded down. Peppy turbocharged engine. Loaded to the gills with safety features - front/side airbags, ABS, EBD, ASR and throttle override when depressing the brake pedal.

Suggested Improvements

Better noise insulation (door seals, engine). Lumbar support. More scalable seat heater. Independent rear suspension. And bring a Super New Beetle on the Mk6 platform as well as the Microbus.