2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
The porsche of the middle class, the 2001 vw Beetle Vortex Blue Edition.
By vortexblue2001 on 02/20/13 21:44 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Purchased this Beetle in 2006 with 216,000 thousand miles. Now has 255,000 thousand miles. When i purchased the car it needed many things like 4 coils, 4 spark plugs, all the filters,brakes, etc. Basically a a deep regular maintenance. I spend about 1,500 hundred dollars which included the parts and labor to put it up to speed, of course i did not take it to the dealership otherwise labor alone will had cost me 1,500. After that never had a problem with it. I replace the water pump and timing belt 3years ago so i have another 60,000 miles more to go. The Beetle has a ( 5- speed manual transmision) thats one of the reasons the car has lasted this long.This car is a good car if you service it.

Never ever again will I buy a VW (any)
By davemoon22 on 01/21/12 09:48 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

1st Beelte had a bunch of issues (a/c, batteries would never last over a few months, oil leaking - had to do a major repair, then sold it). Second, a 2001 with 70k, has had more issues than I can possibly recall. I must have spent over 7k withing a 9 month period. Ridiculous. The major problem I have is with the dealerships. They'll diagnose something is wrong, you get that done, the car still has the same issue and then they will tell you "Oh, well, then, it must be something else" Replace driver's seatbelt buckle, both windows regulators, cam shaft adjuster, turn signal relay, inner tie rods, valve cover gasket, pcv hose, door latch and list goes on: all major $$$ repairs.

Constantly breaks down
By chvie06 on 08/14/11 21:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

After owning this car for about 2 years, it started giving me problems. I spent over 2,000 dollars within 2 months on repairs before finally getting rid of it. I had to get 2 new batteries (the first one only lasted a year), new alternator, new valves and hoses, turbo cut off valve, battery fuse panel, alternator harness, ball joints, shocks, and new brakes and tires (brakes and tires were understandable, though). Right before I got rid of it, it wouldn't accelerate and wouldn't exceed 5 mph. The sealed system was also frustrating because you couldn't do simple tasks like refill the brake fluid by yourself. You have to take it in to a VW shop and pay for everything.

Looks are so deceiving...
By ncnurse on 08/05/11 13:01 PM (PDT)

I bought mine in March 2010 with 60k miles on it. She ran perfectly...for 6 months. The catalytic converter went out immediately followed by a wheel bearing. 2 months later the ignition coils and spark plugs went out. I've put around $2500 into this car, which I've dubbed Beelzebub since everything that can go wrong, has. The a/c went out at the beginning of this summer and now the gears grind when I put it into reverse. While the turbo is awesome (and the reason behind my 3 speeding tickets) the reliability just isn't there. I'm trading this car in a.s.a.p. because I refuse to put any more money into it.

At 168k, here's hoping for 200k+ miles
By ThunderBunny on 02/23/10 01:33 AM (PST)

This review is for an '01 1.8T New Beetle (Auto), GLS trim with 17" rims, sports suspension, leather (heated) seating, steering wheel & shifter, and sunroof. At 50k miles, the ECU was chipped to 1 BAR. Now at 168k miles I must say my NB's been an excellent vehicle. The only items fixed under warranty were coil-packs and a MAF sensor. I replaced the Cam Chain Tensioner, 2 Oxygen/1 MAF sensors, valve cover gasket and a few hoses at 154k miles. Otherwise, everything else works! (Knock on wood!) I guess I'm lucky as the NB is not rated highly for reliability. But with my other cars, I do my own maintenance/repair and follow the scheduled maintenance very closely. Hope it'll go beyond 200k miles!

Love my used bug
By cy on 01/10/10 15:55 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Well this is my first VW I swore I would never buy or drive a bug, but I love my bug. I got real lucky I found her in the newspaper one owner a folder of her records oil was always changed on time, new timing belt, brakes, water pump new sensors all leather int stick turbo heated seats mirrors, only thing is high miles all highway 20,000, but with all the new parts and its in mint I jumped on it for $2,300 cash I replaced the cat did the work my self ordered one on line and the clutch, so I have like a new car, I love her shes good to me to, to everyone that had problems sorry maybe your car was made on a fri or mon, they say those are bad days so don't buy a car that was made on that day, thanx

Ode to Jerry
By Greta427 on 11/16/09 08:45 AM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is not for anyone who can't handle a few (well okay, a lot) of quirks. Having driven this daily for three years and put 100K miles on it in that time I would describe this as a reliable car. Word to the wise all VW's have a timing belt, if it blows, chances are so will your engine :( I loved this car. It was super fun to drive, had lots of zip for a 4 cyl and with low annual maint costs. Keep up with the maint and you will have little to no serious issues. I would highly suggest replacing the timing belt sooner than recommended just in case. Overall, my beetle, Jerry was very dependable with few "real" problems. Check engine light was always on due to fault O2 sensor.

Never buy volkswagen again
By Tina on 10/30/09 18:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had so many problems with my car this year alone. Anything that could have gone wrong with it it did. I had to change the whole transmission in early january, then in the summer i had to change alternator alternator belt speed sensors and connector and battery. I will never buy a used vw or any vw ever again. All my expenses were more that $3000

Fast easy riding and driving Fun Bug
By zcarid on 08/24/09 20:57 PM (PDT)

Each year the GLX has pleased us with the performance on long trips averaging 2500 miles. Cruises easily at highway speeds between 80 and 100 mph. Will go a lot faster but so will the police. Quick responsive steering and at end of long days feel like we have been treated to an easy ride. Visibility is great all around. Acceleration with the Turbo is a real safety feature in itself. Have had a few problems all easily fixed by family mechanic. Not a fan of dealer maintenance who seem to be way too expensive and eager to replace assemblies when an adjustment or a minor part is all that is needed.

Fun to drive when its not in the shop
By EmHeCo on 06/23/09 17:55 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car about a year ago as a graduation gift. With in the first two months the entire instrument panel went kaput. $700+ to replace. Found out, windshield whipper motor was burned out. Air conditioning went out. Then the gas door broke off, struts went, oil pan failed. Now...exactly a year later, its in the shop again. Head gasket, started and something else needing to be replaced after car overheated and broke down. I am not hard on her, I take good care of her, always oiled. But I have now put almost $4000 in to her. I admit it is really fun to drive, turns on a dime, parks like a dream and has some kick. When she isn't up on the lift.