Used 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance
By johnnygeneric

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Diesel GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've enjoyed the heck out of this car. I would not hesitate to buy a new one. In fact, we are becoming a VW family. We bought my wife a 2015 Passat. It would have been a Beetle but the Passat was rated as very quiet, which was her #1 criteria. But, having said that, if you don't maintain the car, it will fail you. The 2001 model has lots of misgivings. Stay on top of the maintenance and fix things when they break. And you will be happy with the car.

The mileage is probably the best thing about the car. I manage to get 46MPG on the superhighway. I'm amazed that some get 50 mpg!! When you press the accelerator, there is absolutely no hesitation like with gasoline engines. You really feel you're in control - nothing between you and the engine.

Yes...the cup holders are a curse. - more durable plastic parts that resist heat better.

My Bug
By kay burges

327,000. Miles running strong yes you definiately have to stay on top of maintaining your bug just like anything you own and when in need of replacing something inside that has broken , ebay is your best option if your a do it yourself person but overall I love my bug 49 mpg on this economy it's the bomb diddley

Diesel turbo it moves when needed

Interior plastic

Over 315,000 miles and still getting 49.5mpg!
By twincitytdiguy

I bought this TDI Beetle from a customer at 300K. He had it from new. The car is in great overall condition, original clutch, rustfree, and still gets an amazing 49.5 mpg highway at 78mph in the summer. I bought the car a little over 4 months ago and managed to put on 15,000 miles. I go where I want. I am not afraid to take this car across the country, I am planning a trip to Florida in the spring for some baseball action. Very fun car to drive. Gotta go with the folks upset by the cupholders. They seem to be an after thought. Germans can't understand why we drink beverages in our cars. If you are a taller person, I'm 6'7", This car has a lot of room. I can nearly straighten my left leg.

Fun to drive when the car works.
By hombeboyfu

The TDI Beetle has some nice characteristics to it like great fuel economy, reasonable amount of torque produced from the 1.9L engine, and overall fun to drive. The down side is the car is almost completely plastic. So expect thing to randomly break apart on it. These cars is riddled with electrical problems that doom every VW owner to spend massive amounts of time and money at repair shops. In conclusion, unless you have plenty of money, time, and want to become a good friend of your local VW/Audi Tech avoid this car like it was an ex-spouse with the plague.

Good looks and mpg

Mine's Not So Bad
By Karen

I've owned my TDI Beetle for 8 years. Aren't the diesel Beetles built in Germany not Mexico? I have to say I've been very lucky compared to some of the reviews I've been reading. I did just have the timing belt changed at 100,000 miles, which was expensive! I owned a 318i which required the replacement of two air flow meters, so I sold it. Well, I had to replace my first one on the beetle in 2007 and I'm now on my next one. What's up with that! It's running crappy. Did have to replace the gas door, broken after 3 years. My mirror switch just broke. Headlight replacement, difficult but my husband figured out how to do it, not so bad, but $50 at the dealer.

Love driving it. Fells like a go-kart. Has a nice ride for a small car and handles well.

Maintenance!! German cars are way too particular and require too much routine maintenance. And check engine lights that you have to have the dealer check and turn off.