2001 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Over 315,000 miles and still getting 49.5mpg!
By twincitytdiguy on 02/07/14 12:56 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought this TDI Beetle from a customer at 300K. He had it from new. The car is in great overall condition, original clutch, rustfree, and still gets an amazing 49.5 mpg highway at 78mph in the summer. I bought the car a little over 4 months ago and managed to put on 15,000 miles. I go where I want. I am not afraid to take this car across the country, I am planning a trip to Florida in the spring for some baseball action. Very fun car to drive. Gotta go with the folks upset by the cupholders. They seem to be an after thought. Germans can't understand why we drink beverages in our cars. If you are a taller person, I'm 6'7", This car has a lot of room. I can nearly straighten my left leg.

Fun to drive when the car works.
By hombeboyfu on 07/19/11 08:52 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

The TDI Beetle has some nice characteristics to it like great fuel economy, reasonable amount of torque produced from the 1.9L engine, and overall fun to drive. The down side is the car is almost completely plastic. So expect thing to randomly break apart on it. These cars is riddled with electrical problems that doom every VW owner to spend massive amounts of time and money at repair shops. In conclusion, unless you have plenty of money, time, and want to become a good friend of your local VW/Audi Tech avoid this car like it was an ex-spouse with the plague.

Mine's Not So Bad
By Karen on 10/22/08 06:43 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've owned my TDI Beetle for 8 years. Aren't the diesel Beetles built in Germany not Mexico? I have to say I've been very lucky compared to some of the reviews I've been reading. I did just have the timing belt changed at 100,000 miles, which was expensive! I owned a 318i which required the replacement of two air flow meters, so I sold it. Well, I had to replace my first one on the beetle in 2007 and I'm now on my next one. What's up with that! It's running crappy. Did have to replace the gas door, broken after 3 years. My mirror switch just broke. Headlight replacement, difficult but my husband figured out how to do it, not so bad, but $50 at the dealer.

Best car I ever owned!
By Gravel Gertie on 10/13/08 20:45 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Husband & I bought this great diesel auto on a whim . Traded our 4 Runner in on it and I'll drive it till the wheels fall off. We get 50 MPG and will pass anything on the road. Has a manual tranny and that makes it more fun !! AND I still get 50 MPG with the A/C running! Why they stopped making them is beyond me! I love this car --- and it still has the original battery, going strong.

2001 Volkswagon Beetle TDI
By Ben on 10/07/08 20:34 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Having driven everything from a Ford Thunderbird to a Dodge 2500 the Beetle TDI (Turbo Diesel Injected) was an interesting buy. The acceleration for the Beetle is not that bad. You must remember, it's a gas saving coup NOT a sports car. Folks made the same mistake with the Delorean. Driving experience is fun but not outstanding. Excellent reliability as long as the car is maintained properly. Remember, you get what you pay for. Interior is well designed but cup holders are not made for holding the average cup unless you're a hobbit. Paint is good but could use a thicker clear coat. Unless you are abusing it or are just rough on cars, this v-dub is a tough little sucker. Not luxury, but works

Great Car!
By Gabe on 02/25/08 23:22 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Tremendous value. I put in an InMotion stage 2 kit with chip remapping and injectors .216. I had to put in a VR6 clutch because of all the extra power. I had a few electronic problems (instrument cluster replacement, a few recalls). Best car I've ever had!

Great Economy Car!
By DN on 07/05/07 22:13 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

We purchased our '01 Beetle TDI for the sole purpose of wanting a car that was great on fuel and have been relatively happy with it. It's by no means a luxury car. It's loud on the highway, but great on gas. We average mid-upper 30s in the city and upper 40s on the highway. We did manage to squeeze out 54 mpg on the way out to Nevada last summer. I would recommend this car for the econo minded person.

The inside/outside of it all
By carrot soup on 06/04/07 20:54 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Interior needs much improvement. Can't set taller cups in cup holders and cup stabilizers keep getting lost and drinks spill over. I purchased it as 3rd owner. Would love to have a diesel with convertible top but the diesel smell needs to be controlled somehow. Michelin tires look good on it. Love the shiny finish.

For the Love of Torque
By linderov on 03/15/07 20:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

This has been a terrific car, very durable and reliable and looking good doing it. My kids don't ever complain about being cramped although I think they probably are. It's cozy and all their friends love it. With the sunroof and windows open, it's like a convertible, too, fun and loud, and like a party ready to go. Even though the car is now 6 + years old, it still attracts attention, and not just from kids, although kids really love it. It gets 45 mpg in mixed use, typically. I've never had problems here in Detroit with the cold weather and diesel. The diesel is quiet and pleasant sounding in normal use, and has a higher pitch singing sound when you hammer it to kick in the turbo.

Cute on the Outside, Cheap on the Inside
By Brina on 07/25/06 19:51 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I have wanted a Volkswagen Beetle since they came out, and I finally got one last year. I admit it is a fun car, but having to replace the turbo already (before I made the first payment!) and having strange transmission problems, I don't know that I would buy another one. I would absolutely reccomend buying from a dealer, and spending the extra for the extended warranty! The inside is incredibly cheap and easily broken, but the cute flower holder makes up for part of that! It is still fun to drive, but it's going to my husband to drive the commute in, and I'm getting something different!