2001 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Never buy volkswagen again
By Tina on 10/30/09 18:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had so many problems with my car this year alone. Anything that could have gone wrong with it it did. I had to change the whole transmission in early january, then in the summer i had to change alternator alternator belt speed sensors and connector and battery. I will never buy a used vw or any vw ever again. All my expenses were more that $3000

Fun to drive when its not in the shop
By EmHeCo on 06/23/09 17:55 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car about a year ago as a graduation gift. With in the first two months the entire instrument panel went kaput. $700+ to replace. Found out, windshield whipper motor was burned out. Air conditioning went out. Then the gas door broke off, struts went, oil pan failed. Now...exactly a year later, its in the shop again. Head gasket, started and something else needing to be replaced after car overheated and broke down. I am not hard on her, I take good care of her, always oiled. But I have now put almost $4000 in to her. I admit it is really fun to drive, turns on a dime, parks like a dream and has some kick. When she isn't up on the lift.

Don't waste your money!
By Jess on 02/06/09 18:59 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was the first car I ever bought and have I ever regretted it! It has absolutely no room. Not to mention all the mechanical problems I've had with it from the moon roof to the locks and the trunk latch breaking. It is definitely not worth the money. VW is way too pricey for this all around poor quality car.

Where to Start?
By Michele on 08/05/08 18:16 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Wow! For such a cute car it has been terrible when it comes to repairs. Cat. Converter, alternator, Intake valve, check engine lights, oil pan, rear brakes, rear taillight, headlamp replacements, front spoiler, trunk latch, key replacement, cup holders, window regulator, peeling door, seats stain, interior panel lights, airbag light, small sun visor, loud engine on the highway, not as good on gas as you would think. I'm sure there's more. It seems nit picky, but really the issues are extensive. I had a 1995 Jetta and it was awesome!!! But this beetle is impossible. We want to sell it, but feel guilty passing it on to someone else! Maybe VW will buy it back, lol.

In for a surpise
By Superchiqa on 03/08/08 15:48 PM (PST)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car, wanting a car with personality - and I got one. A bad personality. The car is fun to drive and is great to fit into places but it has its share of problems. 1st started having check engine lights come on (all the time!) for a "loose gas cap" then electrical problems that would come and go - chip in door latches "burned out" and the car would re-lock itself as I'm trying to turn it on, causing the alarm to go off. Then started having oil and gas consumption problems - that's just the main problems too! If you have money to keep up with the cost of VW repairs, then you could enjoy one of these cars.

*Sigh*
By peqy on 04/06/06 00:37 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am a 17.5 year old male, who has been driving this car since I turned 16. I started driving it and really liked the ride. It was very smooth. The insides of the doors were peeling when I got it and continued to peel as I owned it for the next year and a half. I didn't like the looks that I got while driving it, most likely because I am a man. The cupholders are ridiculously placed, and the rubber things come out so the cups don't stay, when they actually fit under the clearance. I had to replace the brake light switch twice because it failed and wouldn't let me take it out of park. I was late to work twice. Also, a belt wore out towards the end. Overall this is a decent first car, but I am never buying another Beetle and probably not a VW either.

Luck of the Irish
By Veronica on 06/02/05 04:43 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have not had one days trouble with my 2001 Volks New Beetle. My only complaint is that the door handles have peeled since day one. Now they are disgustly unsightful. When I brought it into the dealership I was told to take a hard towel and rub off the remaining coating. Satisfaction - I didn't get any.......as the song goes.

Buy Used!
By Gootee2Shoes on 04/04/05 16:20 PM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used and I think that makes a huge difference. I have (hopefully) avoided the pitfalls that the new owners did and my car is intact and in beautiful shape, inside and out. I bought some tires and got an alignment and some wipers, but everything else is going smoothly. I love the way it drives, besides how tight the clutch is. Everyone thinks it is the cutest thing ever and it is the first car I am proud to drive. I loved my 97 Golf, but I love this car even more.

Bug for Graduation
By elidagirl on 06/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

the bug was bought to save fuel. It was boughtto comute to work & school. Four inches of clearance does not let it come to the ranch. It is a Cute city Car. Insurance is cheaper on ford big truck

Love the bug
By mariabug on 05/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The only problem with this vehicle is the front spoiler is low to the ground and gets damaged.