Used 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance
By johnnygeneric

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've enjoyed the heck out of this car. I would not hesitate to buy a new one. In fact, we are becoming a VW family. We bought my wife a 2015 Passat. It would have been a Beetle but the Passat was rated as very quiet, which was her #1 criteria.

But, having said that, if you don't maintain the car, it will fail you. The 2001 model has lots of misgivings. Stay on top of the maintenance and fix things when they break. And you will be happy with the car.

The mileage is probably the best thing about the car. I manage to get 46MPG on the superhighway. I'm amazed that some get 50 mpg!! When you press the accelerator, there is absolutely no hesitation like with gasoline engines. You really feel you're in control - nothing between you and the engine.

Yes...the cup holders are a curse. - more durable plastic parts that resist heat better.

My Bug
By kay burges

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

327,000. Miles running strong yes you definiately have to stay on top of maintaining your bug just like anything you own and when in need of replacing something inside that has broken , ebay is your best option if your a do it yourself person but overall I love my bug 49 mpg on this economy it's the bomb diddley

Diesel turbo it moves when needed

Interior plastic

Over 315,000 miles and still getting 49.5mpg!
By twincitytdiguy

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought this TDI Beetle from a customer at 300K. He had it from new. The car is in great overall condition, original clutch, rustfree, and still gets an amazing 49.5 mpg highway at 78mph in the summer. I bought the car a little over 4 months ago and managed to put on 15,000 miles. I go where I want. I am not afraid to take this car across the country, I am planning a trip to Florida in the spring for some baseball action. Very fun car to drive. Gotta go with the folks upset by the cupholders. They seem to be an after thought. Germans can't understand why we drink beverages in our cars. If you are a taller person, I'm 6'7", This car has a lot of room. I can nearly straighten my left leg.

The porsche of the middle class, the 2001 vw Beetle Vortex Blue Edition.
By vortexblue2001

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Purchased this Beetle in 2006 with 216,000 thousand miles. Now has 255,000 thousand miles. When i purchased the car it needed many things like 4 coils, 4 spark plugs, all the filters,brakes, etc. Basically a a deep regular maintenance. I spend about 1,500 hundred dollars which included the parts and labor to put it up to speed, of course i did not take it to the dealership otherwise labor alone will had cost me 1,500. After that never had a problem with it. I replace the water pump and timing belt 3years ago so i have another 60,000 miles more to go. The Beetle has a ( 5- speed manual transmision) thats one of the reasons the car has lasted this long.This car is a good car if you service it.

Well i will say that everything the car comes with is just exactly what it needs. The Beetle best feature it is the 1.8 engine with the 5 speed manual transmission that comes with it, gives me about 25 mpg city and 35 hwy. It is a fast car that responds very well, fun to drive. The color on my Beetle is also a limited edition color named Vortex Blue with only 2,500 made worlwide. Also comes with leather, sunroof/moonroof, all power options, heated seats and much more features. I almost forgot that it has a rear spoiler that lifts up when your speed is over 90 mph. which is dificult to accomplish in U.S. due to the speed limit. I call this car the porsche of the middle class.

I will had put a six speed manual instead of the five speed manual.

Never ever again will I buy a VW (any)
By davemoon22

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

1st Beelte had a bunch of issues (a/c, batteries would never last over a few months, oil leaking - had to do a major repair, then sold it).
Second, a 2001 with 70k, has had more issues than I can possibly recall. I must have spent over 7k withing a 9 month period. Ridiculous. The major problem I have is with the dealerships. They'll diagnose something is wrong, you get that done, the car still has the same issue and then they will tell you "Oh, well, then, it must be something else"
Replace driver's seatbelt buckle, both windows regulators, cam shaft adjuster, turn signal relay, inner tie rods, valve cover gasket, pcv hose, door latch and list goes on: all major $$$ repairs.