What a joke
By Clown on
2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback
Loved it the day I bought it. But I know it's going to leave me stranded. Obviously the warranty is only 2 years... cause these sexy cars are crap! Every 2000 kilometers with the 2.0L 5 Speed, I add half a litre of oil and yup, 3 dealers say thats normal. One dealer said it was because the pistons are oval and they change shape while they warm up. But the other 2 dealers didn't say that??? The interior door handles peel front and back (they recognize the problem but wont replace them all - just one by one). The fuel door solonoid sucks... carry a toolkit and oil. Do I ever miss my Honda Accord.
Favorite Features
Sexy style, dash is perfect for a picnic, fun to drive, handles very well, parking is a snap, leg room for 6'2" me is incredible, seats flip forward super-easily.
Suggested Improvements
Care about your customer! Classic tale: little company who cared redesigns/ captures market share... now they couldn't care less. Be warned about maintenance times - no easy access to any part of this buggy. Recall the 2.0's and admit you blundered big-time. Electrical is plagued.