Very glad I bought it, so sorry that someone else totaled it.
By mpls5 on
2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback
This was my first new car, every other car I ever had, including a 1974 superbeetle convertible, started at over 100,000. I had some small problems the first 5 years. No problems the next 5. Drove pretty rough the last 2, but probably mostly my fault. :) I really wanted to get the car to 200,000-probably would have if a 21 year old hadn't sideswiped into me at 75 mph, sending me spinning across three lanes of interstate and into a cement barrier. Car dented on 3 sides on the outside, none on inside. Airbag didn't deploy and didn't need too, though I did get sore. Very safe car. Handled a lot of less than ideal conditions- well, including spending over 10 yrs in MN, only 1 yr of it garaged.
Favorite Features
1. Love driving at night with the interior red and blue lights - felt like I was in my own little space ship. 2. Other drivers treat you better when you are driving a bug. They let you merge much more easily and wave you into their lane when traffic is stop and go. 3. Fun to drive and had good pick up and braking. 4. Transmission lasted me entire 162,000+ miles and I am not the gentlist stick shift driver. 5. Was rear-ended 3 times with barely any damage to my vehicle & barely even a muscle ache afterword. In one incident I was at a full stop and a BMW behind me, who was also at a full stop, was rammed into my car at 70 mph by a car behind him. His car was totaled, mine just scratched up.
Suggested Improvements
1. 6 cd disk holder never worked right. 2. O2 Sensor touchy and unhelpful. 3. Cupholders were ridiculous.