2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Review: So Shoddy Yet So Cute

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Review

So Shoddy Yet So Cute
By B & A on

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I've had my 2000 Volkswagen New Beetle for seven years now. I've had to replace one too many things...a transmission failure at 48,000 miles, the engine literally fell out on the freeway due to faulty motor mounts, I have replaced 2 CV boots, window buttons, light bulbs behind the dash at 20,000 miles, air conditioning, MAF sensor, amongst many other things not to mention cruise control that doesn't work and I've even tried passing a vehicle once on the highway and my car didn't respond with speed... instead started slowing down by 30 mph! VW used cheap interior materials throughout the car and a 2.0 engine that only pumps out 115 horsepower and sucks gas like it's going out of style. Will VW ever get it right?!?!

The round design is insanely safe in crash tests and the overall cute factor of the car makes it insane eye candy. The roomy interior and the big dash make you feel right at home in the car. All of the modifications that I've done to the car have added to the look making my Bug a head turner.

Try EVERYTHING. at least Volkswagen switched over to eisen warner transmissions and hitatchi coil packs...Japanese parts that make a german vehicle worth a darn. I love my Beetle because I've thrown about $15,000 in mods into it, but she'd be gone if it wasn't for all of that. My next car will be a Honda!