2000 Volkswagen New Beetle 1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Say It With Me Now,

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Review

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual)

Say It With Me Now, L-E-M-O-N
By courto on

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Where to begin? Ah yes, my Beetle has miserable failing sensor lights-replaced too many times to count. The radio volume button is obsolete, turn it up, it goes right back down. It also has collapsing windows. The a/c blows the stench of the dead. It has broken knobs, buttons, switches, handles, and peeling rubber coating. Things that have had to be replaced include the turbo, electronic immobilizer, headlights once a month, clutch, brakes, brake lines, thermostat, and water pump (which caused a blown head gasket and a cracked head b/c by the time your thermo sensor goes off, already too late). Volkswagen dealership service stinks. They charged me for 5 hours of labor for just trying to figure out what was wrong, then said that they were "pretty sure" the turbo was out, then charged me to fix that too.

Favorite Features

It handles curves at warp speed like a dream. It gets good gas mileage and has excellent safety ratings. The heated leather seats? Yeah, they'll rock your socks.

Suggested Improvements

Hey VW, on next year's model don't use just glue and sauerkraut to put the car together. And how about cup holders that that were meant to hold cups? Not that I would ever buy another.. I wouldn't trust VW to bake me a cake!