Sad Ending
By ex owner on
2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback
I purchased my bug as a gift to myself I have always wanted one since sitting in my uncles old beetle as a kid and finally got it. Unfortunately I have had many problems mostly small but they add up, my biggest problem and suggestion would be to make sure prior to purchase you have a qualified mechanic that is knowledgeable with vw that you trust. I have found this to be important with mine and unfortunately there is only one vw dealer in the area (crooks $500 oil change, because they demolished to oil pan, and later denied fault) As my car has aged though the check engine light has become a glowing friend, that mysteriously can not be fixed!This has been going on for 4 mo and $1,000, now trading
Favorite Features
Looks, get a lot of attention from by standers, you always can win at slug bug, the bug club (other owners waving and honking, I don't really know why but they do and it's fun).I love the visibility. I do have to say she has never left me stranded anywhere we've always limped to help when needed.
Suggested Improvements
use quality parts, don't make everything so darn complicated, you should not have to try 5 mass airflow sensors to get it right, and how many window switches do you really need to replace before you chg it to better material obviously what you put on it isn't working.