2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Review: Poor Electrical System

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Review

GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual)

Poor Electrical System
By Duder on

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

We purchased our 2000 Volkswagen Beetle new in November 1999 and traded it in today because we need to make room for our new baby. All in all I would say that owning this car was a positive experience and I would be happy to continue driving it if we didn't need more room. Our biggest complaint is the electrical system. We had to replace the mass air flow sensor at least once per year and the trouble lights on the dash would come on and turn off for no reason. The cost of unscheduled yearly maintenece was high, at least $800 per year. We did not consider another VW because of the electrical problems. We're gonna miss you little buggy. We all had some great times together and I loved smokin' those Hondas just as much as you did! Sorry bout all the curbs.

Turbo, traction control, leather heated seats, build quality (other than those electrical issues), moonroof, turbo, mechanical reliability, and of course the turbo.

Volkswagon... please, please, please fix your electrical issues. You've had them for a long time now let's do something about it. I promise I will come back if you do.