2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Review: Over Priced Niche Car

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Review

GLS 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Over Priced Niche Car
By fuscia on

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

bought used in 2002, I'm so disappointed. I've literally watched my car disintegrate around me. I'm a fastidious car owner and keep my cars clean. I've had electrical issues, the interior has been disintegrating since the day I bought it used. The window switches break, the weird rubber dash coating scratches easily, the vinyl interior is coming away from the door, hatchback won't close properly,fog light bracket broke,water pump melted, the suspension's shot after 7 yrs normal driving, speakers are starting to crackle after normal volume levels, the emergency brake rusted thru within 3 yrs,the brakes stick and wear the pads down. The car is meant to be looked at not driven on a daily basis

I love the design, it's like driving a little space ship. Very safe. Exterior paint has held up very well. Maybe good for my daughter to drive when she's old enough.

The interior parts are SO cheap yet SO expensive to replace!!!!! No room for American sized beverages in the cup holders. I wonder if they've improved these issues with later models? Gas mileage is pretty lame for such a small car. The people's car??? Really????