New Beetle for the Young at Heart
By Chuckw on
2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback
My only problem with the car was when it was two days old. I had an electrical problem where the windshield wipers would go on, the emergency flashers would activate, and myriad other electrical impossibilities. It took 3 weeks to get it back to me... problem; a bad ground in the headlight. Since the day I got it back, it has been problem free. I really enjoy the spirit the turbo GLX displays and only now, after two years, have come to drive it a little more sensibly. My two biggest complaints are the useless cup holders and the reception on the radio, which is really bad on the AM side.
Favorite Features
Acceleration is wonderful... front seat leg room and head room are about as good as my Mereceds 420... I still love the appearance of the car and have never ceased to be amused by everyone waiving at red lights.
Suggested Improvements
Reduce wind noise when driving at highway speeds... design useful cup holders (may have already been done by now) Redesign the switches for the windows... you have to be a contortionist to operate the switches now.