Most Fun Lemon I've ever had
By Husky44 on
2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback
Bought my 2000 Volkswagen Beetle as a certified used vehicle for my wife to replace her 1999 Passat wagon (the 1st VW lemon we owned). I swore I'd never buy another VW, but she loved it, and this was a manual, instead of an automatic transmission, which gave us so much trouble in the Passat. This car is an absolute blast to drive. Unfortunately, VW quality is poor, and VW service is abysmal. We have had numerous electrical and drivetrain problems with this car. We have thorougly described and documented all of the problems, and have been told by the dealer that they don't exist. We have replaced too many parts to list. When I complained about the turbo spoiler not working automatically at 90+, the dealer told me not to go that fast (then why offer the feature?).
Favorite Features
I love the great performance! The Beetle accelerates like a race car. It will shock many of the hopped up Hondas out there, and it corners like it's on rails.
Suggested Improvements
Complete redesign, focused on improving quality, particularly mechanical and electrical. Change the corporate mindset, held by all of the dealers that I've dealt with - that their cars are great, you're too picky, and all of these problems are minor. By the way, you can replace the headlamps yourself, but the dealer won't tell you that.