2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Review: Fun Car to Drive

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Review

Fun Car to Drive
By Monte on

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

For starters folks, if your looking at a used Beetle be prepared to put a little time and money into it. I have found so many things that the first 2 owners never took care of it's crazy. My Beetle has 90,000 miles on it and it's never had the cabin filter changed, the plugs and wires where still O.E., the fuel filter had never been replaced. I don't blame the car for these issues I blame the previous owners for not taking good care of the car. Since changing out the items mentioned I average 28 mpg in town and 33-34 mpg on the highway.

I love the classic looks, the heated seats (Colorado weather), the stereo ROCKS, and the 2.0L engine is quick and peppy. I also enjoy not feeling like I have to pry myself out of the car, the seats are adjustable so I only need to turn and stand right up to get out.

Better / bigger cup holders for todays take out sized (medium = 32oz)cups, maybe a 5th gear ratio that is less than 3600 rpm at 75 mph (would improve gas mileage)