Used 2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volkswagen New-beetle - Consumer Reviews

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Greatest Car in the Whole Darn Universe!
By dora2

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I bought my Beetle Baby used!! I loved it from day 1 that I first saw it. The color is bright green with a sunroof. After I had it for about 3 months I had problems getting it started, but that was due to the mechanic not knowing what he was doing. My next car is going to be a convertible Beetle Baby.

Favorite Features

The whole bug!! Beetle Bugs looks so lovable!!

Suggested Improvements

Soda cup holder in a better place. Outside mirrors in a lower position. More interior lights.

Pain in the back
By tac724

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I have had more trouble with this car than I care to admit. I got more frustrated because I like the way the car drives but I have had to replace so many parts in this car from an oxygen sensor 3 times to the turbo engine at 40,000. That is ridiculous! The dealerships want to rake the consumer over the coals in price of repair!

Favorite Features

Drivability....comfort, functionality

Suggested Improvements

Build a car that doesn't have so many parts designed to fail and need replaced, and make the parts more affordable!!!

Too Bad
By Jerry

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This was a fun car. But its low level of quality really stinks. Something was always broken. The bulbs for the headlight are impossible to change if the plastic mounting/locking device for the headlight assembly break (the dealer confirmed that was the case). 10,000 miles before the timing belt was due to be changed the tensioner broke destroying the engine. And because VW makes the engine mounting holes different for different models with the same engine you can not interchange them. This became a pricey repair ($7,000 before it was done). The airbag and a sensor both went bad. Several sensors went bad. It was a nightmare. I was very happy to get rid of it.

Favorite Features

When it worked it was fast and fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Improve quality, redesign headlight assembly, make battery easier to change, etc.

Good value, cool snug bug, but..
By toms

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

Nimble handling, chic style and VW's engineering has not let us down in the 2 years we've driven it. Warning! Replacement of body panels may be extremely delayed. We had to wait two months for a new rear right panel - from Japan - to replace our dented end. It kept our New Beetle in the shop all that time.

Favorite Features

Style, driving and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Easily breakable plastic switches and fixtures lower tone of interior. All those cup holders are overkill, and veer to the cheesy.

BAD CAR!
By sm

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

Do not buy a VW. I cannot wait to get rid of this lemon. I bought this brand new back in 2000 and have had nothing but problems. Although they are not too major, they are annoying and cause a lot of anxiety. About once or twice a year my car decides not to start AT ALL and leaves me stranded. It will be running like a beauty one day and completely dead the next. Electrical problems galore, peeling door handles, plastic parts break, etc., etc., etc. Fortunately my father is a mechanic otherwise I would be seriously in debt up to my eyeballs. I actually feel guilty trading this lemon in!! I am getting a Honda or Toyota next time. This thing has been recalled more times than I can count!

Favorite Features

Style of car. I like that it's retro. Size is nice

Suggested Improvements

Everything but the way it looks. It's an awful car.