Used 2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 161 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Too many problems
By Christina

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

My Beetle has had endless electrical problems. The chrome finish on the steering wheel began rubbing off after 18 months of ownership. The engine cover falls off once or twice a year, which I hear happens a lot to new beetles. A cute car, but ridiculous to maintain. I didn't start having problems until it was about 4 years old. When I bought it, I sure expected it to last me more than 75,000 miles.

Really great gas mileage, fun to drive, and cute.

Fixing anything is so expensive. It is unreliable and falling apart, even though I take care of it. It is something new every two months. Time to buy a Toyota.

Greatest Car in the Whole Darn Universe!
By dora2

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I bought my Beetle Baby used!! I loved it from day 1 that I first saw it. The color is bright green with a sunroof. After I had it for about 3 months I had problems getting it started, but that was due to the mechanic not knowing what he was doing. My next car is going to be a convertible Beetle Baby.

The whole bug!! Beetle Bugs looks so lovable!!

Soda cup holder in a better place. Outside mirrors in a lower position. More interior lights.

Pain in the back
By tac724

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I have had more trouble with this car than I care to admit. I got more frustrated because I like the way the car drives but I have had to replace so many parts in this car from an oxygen sensor 3 times to the turbo engine at 40,000. That is ridiculous! The dealerships want to rake the consumer over the coals in price of repair!

Drivability....comfort, functionality

Build a car that doesn't have so many parts designed to fail and need replaced, and make the parts more affordable!!!

Too Bad
By Jerry

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This was a fun car. But its low level of quality really stinks. Something was always broken. The bulbs for the headlight are impossible to change if the plastic mounting/locking device for the headlight assembly break (the dealer confirmed that was the case). 10,000 miles before the timing belt was due to be changed the tensioner broke destroying the engine. And because VW makes the engine mounting holes different for different models with the same engine you can not interchange them. This became a pricey repair ($7,000 before it was done). The airbag and a sensor both went bad. Several sensors went bad. It was a nightmare. I was very happy to get rid of it.

When it worked it was fast and fun to drive.

Improve quality, redesign headlight assembly, make battery easier to change, etc.

Good value, cool snug bug, but..
By toms

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

Nimble handling, chic style and VW's engineering has not let us down in the 2 years we've driven it. Warning! Replacement of body panels may be extremely delayed. We had to wait two months for a new rear right panel - from Japan - to replace our dented end. It kept our New Beetle in the shop all that time.

Style, driving and handling.

Easily breakable plastic switches and fixtures lower tone of interior. All those cup holders are overkill, and veer to the cheesy.