2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Don't buy a Beetle/Jetta
By The Rocket on 10/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Read all of the other reviews because I have had every one of their problems. This car might be German engineered for the awesome motor and styling but the Mexican build quality with Mickey Mouse switches ain't worth a peso. Unfortunately the only thing on this car that hasn't failed is the Check Engine light...It's still glowing strong!

Cute Car
By Cara_14 on 10/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

i really enjoy this car, its fun to drive and really cute. Although i did have minor problems , sensors, the a/c smells horrable, drinks a lot of gas, peeling inside the car...all cars have minor problems unless u catch a 'lemon'then ur screwed, but overall it drives well.

Fun to Drive, but Unreliable
By louvia on 09/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Owning a New Beetle is a love-hate relationship. You love how it drives but hate how it keeps letting you down. I've had endless problems with this car from the start. The transmission started leaking the first week and had to be replaced. We've had endless brake problems due to a vacuum leak. It took Capistrano VW 4 times to diagnose it the first time it happened. Brakes have never worked well. The battery has been replaced twice. The interior is falling apart, door handles peeling, passenger sun visor won't stay up, side mirror knob broke off. We're going to replace it with something more reliable. It's a bad sign when the dealership knows you by sight.

Fun for the first 40,000 miles
By Chelsey Raden on 08/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

It's fun to drive but once you hit 40,000 get out your checkbook. Multiple electronic/sensor repairs, recalls and broken gadgets (fuel flap, armrest compartment latch etc...). When talking to other Beetle owners the same complaints were made. Would I buy another-no. Not reliable.

2000 VW Beetle - aka Crap Mobile
By bisrdhazrd on 07/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

This is the most disappointing car I've owned. The interior is falling apart - plastic pieces break, the arm rests are peeling off the door. Several recalls. HORRIBLE service from the VW service shop - LIES, LIES, LIES. A few minor issues with mechanical, but majority is interior problems. I do not recommend buying in the VW family!! If you do - GOOD LUCK!

Do NOT buy this car!!!
By silverbbugboi00 on 07/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

Buying this car was probably the biggest mistake I've made. The day I drove it off the lot, nothing but problems. The 'check engine' light was always on, the car had trouble starting EVERY morning, it ate TONS of oil, over a quart every 1,000 miles, the a\c made the entire car shake, and if you did use it, the vents would stink for several days afterward, door handles peeled, sunroof leaked, too much to list here so I'll stop here.

NEVER AGAIN!!!!!
By Piperboi on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I had nothing but problems since day 1! The dealer had my car more than I did. I take very good care of my cars, this one just did not see to want to hang in there. my egnition coil, window swithches, brake light switch, temp gage, emergency brake handle, glove box lever, cooling system, power locks, moonroof/shade, and gage cluster all went bad or broke! To replace a headlight you have to go to the dealer!! ($50.00) Breaks are VERY expensive too! I will never own a VW product again! If you are in the market for a bug..THINK TWICE! DO NOT BUY! The warrenty is awful! even with an extra warrenty i bought, i put in $3000 more!

My Black Stink Bug
By BMO on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

Too many repairs at 45k mi!! Yesterday the driver's side window got stuck down in the door--either motor gave out or window clips broke. Two weeks ago I replaced the battery and also recalled part changed. Already replaced the brakes at 30K. Broken window switches, replaced engine belts, replaced relay sensors for horn to honk again ($500). Peeling interior. Stiff suspension and bottoms out easily. Trunk doesn't always close easily. 6-CD changer doesn't always register. Have a crack in windshield but costs me extra to replace d/t over- size. The worst part is the sucky dealership service. HATE VWs now. I'm dumping this thing for a generic but RELIABLE Honda

Beetles Suck
By vwbugkelly1182 on 06/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I am tired of having my beetle because it goes to the dealership every 3 months. i have had to replace the radiator, water pump, the window switch 3x, the back brakes 6x, the headlights 3x, the speedometer went out, the check engine light comes on all the time, and i have replaced many oxygen sensors. There are a lot of other things that have went wrong on my beetle, but there is too many to remember.

The bug didn't bug me
By bugboy on 06/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

Fun Car to drive 2.0 gas version feels sluggish ,however its styling won me over great looking car ,we plan to get ba convertable soon