2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
2000 Volkswagen Beetle
By sandy on 08/30/05 16:26 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this car for my daughter. It's the worst car we've ever had. Major problems. Interior parts come off in your hand. Go to web sites before purchasing a bug. I traded it for a Saturn!

Bad Decision
By Amy on 08/23/05 04:35 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car used with only 26,000 miles on it. It has always been very fun to drive and the handling is great (except in the snow). But the reliability is the worst of any car I have ever owned, and I have had some bad ones! The list of problems includes the permanantly on check engine light, replaced fan control unit at 65,000 miles, air bag problems, broken fuel latch and trunk latch, knob for mirrors fell off, broken arm rest latch, steering rack replaced twice, air conditioner went out at 68,000 miles, broken knobs on the stero, some dash lights are burnt out, etc. I could go on and on forever. And NOTHING on the car is inexpensive to fix. It even requires premium gas because of the turbo. Don't make the same bad decision I made.

Don't do it............
By Kozso on 08/10/05 07:46 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

Looking to buy a VW Beetle? Don't do it! We have had our Beetle for 1 1/2 years. We bought used with 60,000 on it. Shame on me for not doing my homework. It has been a nightmare. OK, it is fun to drive, gets 43+ mpg and we have put 50,000 miles on it. But the frequent costly repairs out weighs the savings at the pump and the fun of driving it. VW has an electrical issue. I get the thing fixed, and try to sell, but another indicator lights pops on: check engine, ABS, brake pads - you name it, it has been broken. At this rate I will never get rid of it.

By Linda Petty on 07/28/05 09:24 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

The material on the doors are lifting & coming unglued. Paint inside on door is bubbling. I am not real happy with this. I take very good care of my bug. I keep her in the garage & as I said I only have about 35000 miles on it.I plan on keeping my bug for as long as I can, but the inside is falling apart. Coastal VW will not do anything about it. Said it was wear & tear. In 5 years your car should NOT be falling apart on the inside.

good car if u get a good one
By my buggy on 07/11/05 01:26 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

i bought my beetle used with 12k on it and it has 122k now, i love it ive had small problems like, driver window relay went out, water pump replace last week my brakes r great the were replaced at 100k, it drives like a high quality car and brakes like no other car ive had i love it and plan on getting another soon, its to bad so many people have had alot of problems out of them b/c they r a great car for the price

The car I wish I didn't buy...
By Unlucky Owner on 06/09/05 21:48 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

At first we loved the car, looked great, roomy and drove nice. However, during the first year we developed Nothing but problems with no help from the dealer. Suspension problems, engine noise, cd changer was replaced 4 times, window broke, rubber coating in the interior is peeling, thermostat went bad, plastic console broke, seats have mysteriously stained. Service has been horrible. I cannot recommend VW to anyone. See www.myvwlemon.com - I am not affiliated but they helped me solve some problems. Do not buy this car.

2000 Beetle - Cute, but never again!
By PDW on 05/22/05 10:13 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

We bought the car brand new and had problems with the air bag lights right away. We have had the car into the dealer numerous times for the air bag light indicator. The check engine light comes on frequently and many sensors have been replaced. I would not buy another VW. (We learned how to replace headlamp bulb ourselves - it's very expensive to have it done at the mechanic shop.)The car has a reputation with many mechanics!!

Too bad!
By savage1 on 04/29/05 15:16 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

Major repair problems. Tried 2 different VW dealers and an independent mechanic - no one can fix it right. Had head gasket replaced ($1200), water pump, and themostat (twice) - still overheating! No temp gauge - only a red light when it's already too hot. Front license plate holder fell off. Everything about this car is expensive, so make sure you get an extended warranty! Dealer service is terrible - will keep car for a week for any repairs. Oil change took 3 hours.

New Beetle
By Cary on 03/22/05 19:46 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This is by far the worst car I have ever owned. I am a mechanic, and I can barely keep this thing running. It only has 49000 miles on it, and it costs about $200 a month in replacement parts alone. This car just falls apart, and you can't keep up with all of the broken items. This is definitely the last Volkswagen I will ever own.

2000 Beetle Review
By Sridhar on 10/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I bought the beetle 'cause it was my childhood dream to own one. The car drives awesome, the way it handles curves and braking etc., you never feel you are out of control. But sadly, I sold mine today not for comfort reasons but for reliability. The quality control is poor, the window trimming gives way, and the window switches are flaky, and after it crossed 50K miles, this year I had to go the dealer multiple times to get my engine check light fixed. When I talk to the service agents about the quality issues, they shrug their shoulders and say it is normal wear and tear. I own a camry with 80K miles and never had any problems. Reliability is one reason I would never buy VW or recommend it