Used 2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Sad Ending
By ex owner

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I purchased my bug as a gift to myself I have always wanted one since sitting in my uncles old beetle as a kid and finally got it. Unfortunately I have had many problems mostly small but they add up, my biggest problem and suggestion would be to make sure prior to purchase you have a qualified mechanic that is knowledgeable with vw that you trust. I have found this to be important with mine and unfortunately there is only one vw dealer in the area (crooks $500 oil change, because they demolished to oil pan, and later denied fault) As my car has aged though the check engine light has become a glowing friend, that mysteriously can not be fixed!This has been going on for 4 mo and $1,000, now trading

Favorite Features

Looks, get a lot of attention from by standers, you always can win at slug bug, the bug club (other owners waving and honking, I don't really know why but they do and it's fun).I love the visibility. I do have to say she has never left me stranded anywhere we've always limped to help when needed.

Suggested Improvements

use quality parts, don't make everything so darn complicated, you should not have to try 5 mass airflow sensors to get it right, and how many window switches do you really need to replace before you chg it to better material obviously what you put on it isn't working.

VW New Beetle Always in the Repair Shop!
By J. Engle

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

We bought a new 2000 VW GLS 1.8T since my wife had owned an original Beetle for over 15 years. We were hoping the second time around would be as good or better than the first Beetle she had owned. The New Beetle we bought was constantly in the shop for chronic and annoying electrical problems. The entire front dash wiring went out just after the warranty expired. We got tired of spending repair money on this New Beetle and the fact that it was constantly in the repair shop for electrical problems. We went out and bought a new 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid which we love for the gas mileage and which has never had any repairs other than routine maintenance. We will never buy a VW product again!

Favorite Features

The Turbo Engine ran well but burned oil. Had to switch to synthetic motor oil which helped. Fun to drive on the highway and hugs the road nicely.

Suggested Improvements

Quality on this car which we bought new was terrible---always in the repair shop with (expensive) electrical problems. The 1.8 Turbo burns 91 octane which is too expensive.

A BIG lemon!
By KMAC

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

My parents bought my bug for me when I turned 16. I was so excited when I got it! But soon I started to hate it! So many things have gone wrong such as I have had to get a new clutch, thermostat, headlight, taillights, window motors in both Windows, plastic parts in the car are always breaking and etc. Taking it to a VW dealership is crazy because they charged me almost $400 just to look at it not to mention that the parts are very costly too! Overall its a cheaply made car! I would not recommend this car to anyone else!

Favorite Features

Good on gas and it handles curves very well!

Suggested Improvements

Change the cup holders i can only use mine for change!

Buggin'
By LEISHA

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I haven't owned my Beetle for very long but what little time I have had it I LOVE IT! Who would have ever thought these little cars would have so much room and POWER! These are not stripped down cars, they too have lots of neat options. It hugs the road so when meeting big trucks you don't have to worry about being blown around. Great gas mileage!

Favorite Features

Heated Leather Seats that you can choose from 1 to 5 and not just on or off. AM/FS, Cassette Player, and 6 CD player. Most of all the 5 speed transmission.

Suggested Improvements

If the location of the cup holders could somehow be placed in a better place and not so far underneath the dash that would be GREAT.

Too many problems
By Christina

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

My Beetle has had endless electrical problems. The chrome finish on the steering wheel began rubbing off after 18 months of ownership. The engine cover falls off once or twice a year, which I hear happens a lot to new beetles. A cute car, but ridiculous to maintain. I didn't start having problems until it was about 4 years old. When I bought it, I sure expected it to last me more than 75,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Really great gas mileage, fun to drive, and cute.

Suggested Improvements

Fixing anything is so expensive. It is unreliable and falling apart, even though I take care of it. It is something new every two months. Time to buy a Toyota.