Used 2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Worst Car Ever!!
By jwalker

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

This car has had issues from the day I purchased it brand new. Pieces fall off. 1st week, bottom of dash fell to the floor. Door handle flew off on freeway- VW fixed 3x, now door handle sticks. Check engine light ALWAYS on. VW says light covers numerous items. So numerous, in fact, that if you take the car in to fix an "extended warranty", they require you to fix all other supposed "problems" before they'll fix item under warranty so they can get $. Lights (interior/outer) go out frequently. Stuck in park twice. Starter fixed twice. Burns oil like mad. Sounds like a lawn mower. Catalytic Converter issues. VW fixes - problem happens again. Spend more time on tow truck/in service than on road

Favorite Features

Liked look of it. That's why I bought it = bad reason. Interior roomier than it appears. Drives nice when it's not in shop.

Suggested Improvements

Stop production - send back to design engineers - and don't produce again until VW can guarantee a quality product. Design better engine. Don't use engine light to highlight so many potential problems - make dash lights more specific. Use better parts. Fix electrical system, I could go on and on...

Dangerous to drive
By lindagill

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

The first few months headlights went out on my way home from work in the dark. Both went out at the same time. Happened again a year later. No one enjoys replacing the headlights. Sensor under the brake went out first year and second year. Was told by VW to bad you have to pay again. Car will not go into gear with out it. Learned to over ride it but dangerous to get to VW for repair. Sun roof one year leaks 250.00 plus 99.00 just to talk to VW. They have a sign when you walk in 99.00 a hour even if it does not take a hour you pay for it even if you only need a 20.00 part. Rims bad never held air in tires replaced tires over and over. To many repairs to list. Linda

Favorite Features

gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Do not sell in Northeastern Ohio to much snow stranded alot. Headlights dangerous. Rims replaced. Brake sensor bad sun roof leaks key cost to much and do not work. 300.00 for a new door latch to be installed. CD player stopped working at 75,000 miles and never really used it much. Can go on and on.

I hate Volkswagen!
By Teresa Mota

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

This car is my nightmare. I hate it so much. I have it since January and I already spent $3,000 fixing it! I'm so tired of all that happened with it. And I'm broke obviously. Do never ever ever buy a Volkswagen whatever model it is that has more than 4/5 years. I'm from Portugal, and there I had a Renault twingo, you probably don't know what it is, but its way cheaper and way better than this thing! And my car was from 1994! Shame on you Volkswagen!

Favorite Features

The exterior and interior design!

Suggested Improvements

Everything needs to be improved!

Fun Car to Drive
By Monte

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

For starters folks, if your looking at a used Beetle be prepared to put a little time and money into it. I have found so many things that the first 2 owners never took care of it's crazy. My Beetle has 90,000 miles on it and it's never had the cabin filter changed, the plugs and wires where still O.E., the fuel filter had never been replaced. I don't blame the car for these issues I blame the previous owners for not taking good care of the car. Since changing out the items mentioned I average 28 mpg in town and 33-34 mpg on the highway.

Favorite Features

I love the classic looks, the heated seats (Colorado weather), the stereo ROCKS, and the 2.0L engine is quick and peppy. I also enjoy not feeling like I have to pry myself out of the car, the seats are adjustable so I only need to turn and stand right up to get out.

Suggested Improvements

Better / bigger cup holders for todays take out sized (medium = 32oz)cups, maybe a 5th gear ratio that is less than 3600 rpm at 75 mph (would improve gas mileage)

Lemon!
By Hannah

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I've had my Bug for a year and half and had only heartache. I thought a Bug would be a good choice as my aunt had her '78 Bug for 17 yrs and was in still great running condition when she sold it. I was disappointed to find that this high reliability no longer exists in the new Bugs. To begin with the sensors had to be replaced, and the seatbelt covers. Then the oil pan sprung a leek, the axle bent, the cd player broke. Now my driver's seat no longer stays locked as it should. The sunroof visor is now off track and to top it off my air filter is now over heating the car and causing it to die and need a jump start. I can't run the air at all. I've thrown over $4000 into the trash for this lemon car!

Favorite Features

The sunroof and big windows. The cute design and colors. Very fun to drive!

Suggested Improvements

Just about everything including the gas mileage, my Bug only get 19 mpg!