2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Sad Ending
By ex owner on 08/19/08 12:47 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I purchased my bug as a gift to myself I have always wanted one since sitting in my uncles old beetle as a kid and finally got it. Unfortunately I have had many problems mostly small but they add up, my biggest problem and suggestion would be to make sure prior to purchase you have a qualified mechanic that is knowledgeable with vw that you trust. I have found this to be important with mine and unfortunately there is only one vw dealer in the area (crooks $500 oil change, because they demolished to oil pan, and later denied fault) As my car has aged though the check engine light has become a glowing friend, that mysteriously can not be fixed!This has been going on for 4 mo and $1,000, now trading

VW New Beetle Always in the Repair Shop!
By J. Engle on 08/11/08 14:32 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

We bought a new 2000 VW GLS 1.8T since my wife had owned an original Beetle for over 15 years. We were hoping the second time around would be as good or better than the first Beetle she had owned. The New Beetle we bought was constantly in the shop for chronic and annoying electrical problems. The entire front dash wiring went out just after the warranty expired. We got tired of spending repair money on this New Beetle and the fact that it was constantly in the repair shop for electrical problems. We went out and bought a new 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid which we love for the gas mileage and which has never had any repairs other than routine maintenance. We will never buy a VW product again!

A BIG lemon!
By KMAC on 07/26/08 08:55 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

My parents bought my bug for me when I turned 16. I was so excited when I got it! But soon I started to hate it! So many things have gone wrong such as I have had to get a new clutch, thermostat, headlight, taillights, window motors in both Windows, plastic parts in the car are always breaking and etc. Taking it to a VW dealership is crazy because they charged me almost $400 just to look at it not to mention that the parts are very costly too! Overall its a cheaply made car! I would not recommend this car to anyone else!

Buggin'
By LEISHA on 07/07/08 11:10 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I haven't owned my Beetle for very long but what little time I have had it I LOVE IT! Who would have ever thought these little cars would have so much room and POWER! These are not stripped down cars, they too have lots of neat options. It hugs the road so when meeting big trucks you don't have to worry about being blown around. Great gas mileage!

Too many problems
By Christina on 06/04/08 18:35 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

My Beetle has had endless electrical problems. The chrome finish on the steering wheel began rubbing off after 18 months of ownership. The engine cover falls off once or twice a year, which I hear happens a lot to new beetles. A cute car, but ridiculous to maintain. I didn't start having problems until it was about 4 years old. When I bought it, I sure expected it to last me more than 75,000 miles.

Greatest Car in the Whole Darn Universe!
By dora2 on 05/11/08 00:38 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I bought my Beetle Baby used!! I loved it from day 1 that I first saw it. The color is bright green with a sunroof. After I had it for about 3 months I had problems getting it started, but that was due to the mechanic not knowing what he was doing. My next car is going to be a convertible Beetle Baby.

Pain in the back
By tac724 on 04/12/08 12:12 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I have had more trouble with this car than I care to admit. I got more frustrated because I like the way the car drives but I have had to replace so many parts in this car from an oxygen sensor 3 times to the turbo engine at 40,000. That is ridiculous! The dealerships want to rake the consumer over the coals in price of repair!

Too Bad
By Jerry on 03/13/08 11:57 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This was a fun car. But its low level of quality really stinks. Something was always broken. The bulbs for the headlight are impossible to change if the plastic mounting/locking device for the headlight assembly break (the dealer confirmed that was the case). 10,000 miles before the timing belt was due to be changed the tensioner broke destroying the engine. And because VW makes the engine mounting holes different for different models with the same engine you can not interchange them. This became a pricey repair ($7,000 before it was done). The airbag and a sensor both went bad. Several sensors went bad. It was a nightmare. I was very happy to get rid of it.

Good value, cool snug bug, but..
By toms on 07/09/07 13:50 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

Nimble handling, chic style and VW's engineering has not let us down in the 2 years we've driven it. Warning! Replacement of body panels may be extremely delayed. We had to wait two months for a new rear right panel - from Japan - to replace our dented end. It kept our New Beetle in the shop all that time.

BAD CAR!
By sm on 07/02/07 13:20 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

Do not buy a VW. I cannot wait to get rid of this lemon. I bought this brand new back in 2000 and have had nothing but problems. Although they are not too major, they are annoying and cause a lot of anxiety. About once or twice a year my car decides not to start AT ALL and leaves me stranded. It will be running like a beauty one day and completely dead the next. Electrical problems galore, peeling door handles, plastic parts break, etc., etc., etc. Fortunately my father is a mechanic otherwise I would be seriously in debt up to my eyeballs. I actually feel guilty trading this lemon in!! I am getting a Honda or Toyota next time. This thing has been recalled more times than I can count!