2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
My Blue Bug
By DustyJones on 08/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

A lot of bang for the buck. I am a 6 foot, 240 lb male and have to say that the bug is the most comfortable and roomy car in its class. There's plenty of head and leg room up front. This is the most enjoyable aspect of my experience thus far, but don't think for a minute that it ends there. The car has been extremely reliable and I've found it quite a blast to drive. The 5 speed manual transmission has plenty of pep and is quite comfortable cruising at 90mph.

Enjoyed the car!
By SilverStarC230K on 08/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I have had this car for 2 1/2 years and finally selling it. I enjoyed the car. Wasn't quite as reliable as you might expect a car under 3 yrs old, but it is a fun car to drive. I had no major mechanical issues, just minor things. I considered buying a '02 TurboS, but instead bought a '03 C230K. Will be sad to see my car go, it was a lot of fun drive. The 2.0 (2.slow) has some pep, but you would expect better gas mileage. Roomy, fun to drive, and retro styling is very cool!

mixed
By knothead on 08/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

In two years and 15000 miles the following problems: 1. gas cap remote did not work at time of delivery; 2.driver's side door grip flaked off; 3. driver's side window control died; 4. mass air sensor went out.

it is a shame VW doesn't care
By scarabo on 07/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

none

Fun to drive but not for keep.
By klai on 07/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I had problems with my car a week after delivery. Here are the problems. 1) Rear hatch not closing properly. 3 visits to the shop before it was fixed. 2) Door not shutting flushed. 3) Broken power window and switch. 5) Gas flap servo broken twice. 6) Both honks broken and a dead battery. 7) Broken speedometer cable. 8) Oxygen sensor broken twice. 9) Door handle cover plastic is peeling. 10) Paint on steering spooke is peeling. I should have gotten rid of the car a long time ago. This time I will as the last repair bill was $750, not to mention the time lost and the inconvenience I had to put up with.

What a joke
By Clown on 07/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

Loved it the day I bought it. But I know it's going to leave me stranded. Obviously the warranty is only 2 years... cause these sexy cars are crap! Every 2000 kilometers with the 2.0L 5 Speed, I add half a litre of oil and yup, 3 dealers say thats normal. One dealer said it was because the pistons are oval and they change shape while they warm up. But the other 2 dealers didn't say that??? The interior door handles peel front and back (they recognize the problem but wont replace them all - just one by one). The fuel door solonoid sucks... carry a toolkit and oil. Do I ever miss my Honda Accord.

Not worth the wait.
By Bughata on 07/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This vehicle has given me unbeliable electrical problems. The the whole instrument cluster is unoperational, as well as the console light is out. Our transmission slips when trying to downshift. This is a vehicle with only 50,000 miles it should not be this bad at this point, but it is. Our warranty is up and now is up to us to reapair the unreliability of such a neglecting company. Consumer beware

Just Fun
By DW on 07/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

Car is fun to drive, and safe feeling

Mid Life Crisis
By Susan B on 06/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

Has been an OK car. Wish I had my reliable Jetta back. Have had to 1) Take to dealership for oxygen sensor recall 2) Have the Piston rings replaced - major problem with oil loss. Thankfully, still under warranty 3) Gas door latch had to be replaced 4) Door started to fall off hinge. Dealer told me they have had lots of oil loss problems and everyone's gas door has to be fixed.

New Beetle Turbo GX - 2000
By Tom C on 06/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Is fun to drive and still gets attention on the road. The few problems so far have mainly been minor annoynances.