2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
2000 1.8L Turbo
By nicksrick on 02/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This vehicle is very stable on the road, it has quite a power range in many gears, so that I can frequently skip gears if I am up to speed. I owned several VW Beatles years ago, and this car looks reminiscant to the early modles but handles like a Porsche. The acceleration is a joy as it moves one right into position in tight traffic.

Cute, but....
By ST on 02/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I have had my new Beetle for almost three years now. As cute as it is (and it is!), I have had many minor frustrations for such a new/low mileage car. Such as: gas cap release lever broke, passenger side window broke (in down position, of course), window switch came right off in my hand. As someone who only owned Japanese cars, my first and only VW has been very disappointing. I would not buy another VW made in Mexico.

There are Pros and Cons!
By Rumz on 02/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

Pros: Great if you are considering the car for just two people, Nice head room and leg room. Attractive, I have had a lot of people stop by and compliment my car. Never had this experience before with other cars. Easy drive and park because of small size, Helps if you are living or commute to big cities. Decent mileage. Cons: Too little space in the back seats if you have extra riders. Cup holders (Yr 2000 model) are terribly placed. Cant fit in a medium size drink!! I have had frequent problems with engine "check" indicator turning on often. Heard of similar complaints from other owners too. Over all, a great second car for a small family!

survivor
By whodafunk on 01/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

vw survived a pretty good broadside from a big old econoline. car needs lots of work, but, driver, me is still walking and wasn't squished like a bug in my beetle. i was a messenger/currier in this vehicle and drove it 12 hours a day, stop and go, harsh city driving, these cars are reliable and safe and fun.

A Real Gem
By Fretbuzzer on 01/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

We bought our 2000 GLS used and have enjoyed it more than any other vehicle we have ever owned. It has been very reliable as well as fun to drive (a hard mix to find). We are taking her for her 40k service this week and haven't spent a dime on maintenance that wasn't a regularly scheduled service. Would buy another VW bug anyday! Have had great service at Ed Murphy VW in Schaumburg, IL!

Could be greatly improved
By raul on 01/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

1) Head rests don't come up far enough for a tall person (I'm 6.2) 2) Sun shades should have sliding attachments, also better "sunshade -- center mirror" shape interaction, so that sun light doesn't get in through so easily when sun at right front. 4) Should have more room for the right knee. 5) Tighter suspension for the turbo version (car wabbles easily when stopped and a car passes next to you at fast speed). 6) Wiper for the back window 7) "Check engine" light should provide a number or letter code, so that owner can look up what's wrong. 8) Should be a little more silent in highway, there is quite some road noise at high speed.

I LOVE MY BUG!!!
By drkim on 12/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I bought my Bug used over a year ago and I just love it. I have had NO mechiancal problems with it. It has a lot more room than I thought it would have. The car is a fun car to drive! I would buy another one in the future I'm having so much fun with this one.

FUN car...but.....
By Irby on 12/18/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

Fun car to drive, has a lot of pep. but i will not be getting another Beetle. And after 2 years of ownership (we bought it brand new with hardly any miles on it) i am ready to give it up. mechanically it is sound...but for a 2 year old car lots of little things have gone wrong with it as soon as we drove it off the lot. The drivers side window we were told is a 'known problem' with Beetles. Also al of the face plates on the interior are coming away and becoming loose. the rear hatch almost never releases on the 1st try...usually it takes 3-5 tries before it will release.

something smells
By t shirt man on 12/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

i've had this car over 2 1/2 years and the only major problem i have is the a/c smells horrible. they tell me for $300 they have to flush the a/c vents. this is a normal thing that happens to this car. also outside light bulbs are a little hard to c

VW's have problems
By ihatemycar on 11/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I have taken my car to the shop SOOOOO many times. It constantly has electrical problems and does not qualify for the lemon law. When i go into the shop there are always other angry VW drivers there regretting purchasing this car as I do. Don't get suckered in by its cuteness. These cars will break.