Used 2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

2000 Volkswagen Beetle
By sandy

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this car for my daughter. It's the worst car we've ever had. Major problems. Interior parts come off in your hand. Go to web sites before purchasing a bug. I traded it for a Saturn!

The look.

Much better quality and reliability because it is Made in Mexico.

Bad Decision
By Amy

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car used with only 26,000 miles on it. It has always been very fun to drive and the handling is great (except in the snow). But the reliability is the worst of any car I have ever owned, and I have had some bad ones! The list of problems includes the permanantly on check engine light, replaced fan control unit at 65,000 miles, air bag problems, broken fuel latch and trunk latch, knob for mirrors fell off, broken arm rest latch, steering rack replaced twice, air conditioner went out at 68,000 miles, broken knobs on the stero, some dash lights are burnt out, etc. I could go on and on forever. And NOTHING on the car is inexpensive to fix. It even requires premium gas because of the turbo. Don't make the same bad decision I made.

Handles well. Fun to drive.

Keep the fun to drive part...everything else needs to be redone.

Don't do it............
By Kozso

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

Looking to buy a VW Beetle? Don't do it! We have had our Beetle for 1 1/2 years. We bought used with 60,000 on it. Shame on me for not doing my homework. It has been a nightmare. OK, it is fun to drive, gets 43+ mpg and we have put 50,000 miles on it. But the frequent costly repairs out weighs the savings at the pump and the fun of driving it. VW has an electrical issue. I get the thing fixed, and try to sell, but another indicator lights pops on: check engine, ABS, brake pads - you name it, it has been broken. At this rate I will never get rid of it.

I am so disgusted with it that there are not any favorite features.

Improve the reliability of the electrical system.

By Linda Petty

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

The material on the doors are lifting & coming unglued. Paint inside on door is bubbling. I am not real happy with this. I take very good care of my bug. I keep her in the garage & as I said I only have about 35000 miles on it.I plan on keeping my bug for as long as I can, but the inside is falling apart. Coastal VW will not do anything about it. Said it was wear & tear. In 5 years your car should NOT be falling apart on the inside.

I love my bug!! I like the room it has & the look of a VW. IO had a 1976 VW & loved it. I wanted another.

Paint on inside of doors Door interior is bubbling & lifting away from doors

good car if u get a good one
By my buggy

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

i bought my beetle used with 12k on it and it has 122k now, i love it ive had small problems like, driver window relay went out, water pump replace last week my brakes r great the were replaced at 100k, it drives like a high quality car and brakes like no other car ive had i love it and plan on getting another soon, its to bad so many people have had alot of problems out of them b/c they r a great car for the price

the styling,indgo lights,cd player is great,braking,handling at any speed,conforttable seats,plenty of room on the inside, the mpg i get 36 with the 2.0

the inside could use some work on the buttons and the peeling doors and the cloth seats and head liner needs scotchgard bad!!!! and more power for the 2.0 would be nice ,cup holders need to fit bigger cups