2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GL Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

2000 1.8L Turbo
By nicksrick

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

This vehicle is very stable on the road, it has quite a power range in many gears, so that I can frequently skip gears if I am up to speed. I owned several VW Beatles years ago, and this car looks reminiscant to the early modles but handles like a Porsche. The acceleration is a joy as it moves one right into position in tight traffic.

Favorite Features

Looks, handling and fuel milage!

Suggested Improvements

Build the vehicles so that a VW dealer would not be required for servicing! My present Dealer's service is top notch, an earlier one was a night mare.

Cute, but....
By ST

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I have had my new Beetle for almost three years now. As cute as it is (and it is!), I have had many minor frustrations for such a new/low mileage car. Such as: gas cap release lever broke, passenger side window broke (in down position, of course), window switch came right off in my hand. As someone who only owned Japanese cars, my first and only VW has been very disappointing. I would not buy another VW made in Mexico.

Favorite Features

This car is fun...easy to park, fun to drive, great stereo system.

Suggested Improvements

Improve cup holders, visors (the current visors are for show only and do not block the sun...they are useless), improve gas mileage. Implement quality checks. Recall these cars and replace faulty window switches. Build QUALITY.

There are Pros and Cons!
By Rumz

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

Pros: Great if you are considering the car for just two people, Nice head room and leg room. Attractive, I have had a lot of people stop by and compliment my car. Never had this experience before with other cars. Easy drive and park because of small size, Helps if you are living or commute to big cities. Decent mileage. Cons: Too little space in the back seats if you have extra riders. Cup holders (Yr 2000 model) are terribly placed. Cant fit in a medium size drink!! I have had frequent problems with engine "check" indicator turning on often. Heard of similar complaints from other owners too. Over all, a great second car for a small family!

Favorite Features

Head and Leg room space. Attractive interior/exterior.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders - Find a better place for them! Mechanical Problems - Can improve!

survivor
By whodafunk

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

vw survived a pretty good broadside from a big old econoline. car needs lots of work, but, driver, me is still walking and wasn't squished like a bug in my beetle. i was a messenger/currier in this vehicle and drove it 12 hours a day, stop and go, harsh city driving, these cars are reliable and safe and fun.

Favorite Features

sunroof, sound system, you can redline this car and it will not hurt it. it just shuts itself down. step on it ... fun.

Suggested Improvements

i wish i had vinyl seats because i have a dog. wish the suspension was a bit beefier. faster would be nice but they do make a turbo !

A Real Gem
By Fretbuzzer

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

We bought our 2000 GLS used and have enjoyed it more than any other vehicle we have ever owned. It has been very reliable as well as fun to drive (a hard mix to find). We are taking her for her 40k service this week and haven't spent a dime on maintenance that wasn't a regularly scheduled service. Would buy another VW bug anyday! Have had great service at Ed Murphy VW in Schaumburg, IL!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, the look still makes me smile, the sound system, comfort of the seats, TONS of headroom (I could go on and on...)

Suggested Improvements

The gas milage is lower than we expected for a small car, but the fun factor outweighs the extra fuel anyday! The handles that peel (at least replacements are cheap)

Could be greatly improved
By raul

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

1) Head rests don't come up far enough for a tall person (I'm 6.2) 2) Sun shades should have sliding attachments, also better "sunshade -- center mirror" shape interaction, so that sun light doesn't get in through so easily when sun at right front. 4) Should have more room for the right knee. 5) Tighter suspension for the turbo version (car wabbles easily when stopped and a car passes next to you at fast speed). 6) Wiper for the back window 7) "Check engine" light should provide a number or letter code, so that owner can look up what's wrong. 8) Should be a little more silent in highway, there is quite some road noise at high speed.

Favorite Features

Spaciousness in the front (except for the right knee), great headroom.

Suggested Improvements

All those mentioned in my review above

I LOVE MY BUG!!!
By drkim

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I bought my Bug used over a year ago and I just love it. I have had NO mechiancal problems with it. It has a lot more room than I thought it would have. The car is a fun car to drive! I would buy another one in the future I'm having so much fun with this one.

Favorite Features

The style of the car. Also the easy of which my 7 year daughter can get in the backseat. The front seat folds nicely out of the way. The sound system is great.

Suggested Improvements

NONE

FUN car...but.....
By Irby

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

Fun car to drive, has a lot of pep. but i will not be getting another Beetle. And after 2 years of ownership (we bought it brand new with hardly any miles on it) i am ready to give it up. mechanically it is sound...but for a 2 year old car lots of little things have gone wrong with it as soon as we drove it off the lot. The drivers side window we were told is a 'known problem' with Beetles. Also al of the face plates on the interior are coming away and becoming loose. the rear hatch almost never releases on the 1st try...usually it takes 3-5 tries before it will release.

Favorite Features

looks very cute, Nippy little car. very fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Work on the interior... the interior design is nice, but it does not stand up to normal wear and tear. Within 2 years things are starting to fall off.

something smells
By t shirt man

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

i've had this car over 2 1/2 years and the only major problem i have is the a/c smells horrible. they tell me for $300 they have to flush the a/c vents. this is a normal thing that happens to this car. also outside light bulbs are a little hard to c

Favorite Features

fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

fix the smelly a/c and seat adjustments

VW's have problems
By ihatemycar

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I have taken my car to the shop SOOOOO many times. It constantly has electrical problems and does not qualify for the lemon law. When i go into the shop there are always other angry VW drivers there regretting purchasing this car as I do. Don't get suckered in by its cuteness. These cars will break.

Favorite Features

The body is cute. The stereo is good (althoug hmine had to be replaced 4 times and i have the paperwork to prove it).

Suggested Improvements

Redo the electric system on all the VW's. Redo the cupholder, the headrest& the seat adjustments