Used 2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 161 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

I love this car
By I Love my Beetle

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

Since I got this car, there was only one problem with it and it was EZ Lube's fault. Took it there for an oil change and the next day oil was on my driveway. I recommend getting a Beetle. It's one of best cars I ever had and I think it's really reliable. All these other people who had problems with it probably didn't really take good care of their Beetles. My Honda Civic had more problems than this car.

The color, Uni-Red :) the overall look of the car, the CD-Changer, everything!

The dealers shouldn't charge so much for service. One of my headlights burned one dealer told me it cost $54 to fix it if I had a bulb and $74 to fix it without the bulb. I took it back to the dealer I bought it from and they did it for free. And the bulb cost like $10 at AutoZone.

2000 Volkswagen Beetle
By sandy

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this car for my daughter. It's the worst car we've ever had. Major problems. Interior parts come off in your hand. Go to web sites before purchasing a bug. I traded it for a Saturn!

The look.

Much better quality and reliability because it is Made in Mexico.

Bad Decision
By Amy

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Bought this car used with only 26,000 miles on it. It has always been very fun to drive and the handling is great (except in the snow). But the reliability is the worst of any car I have ever owned, and I have had some bad ones! The list of problems includes the permanantly on check engine light, replaced fan control unit at 65,000 miles, air bag problems, broken fuel latch and trunk latch, knob for mirrors fell off, broken arm rest latch, steering rack replaced twice, air conditioner went out at 68,000 miles, broken knobs on the stero, some dash lights are burnt out, etc. I could go on and on forever. And NOTHING on the car is inexpensive to fix. It even requires premium gas because of the turbo. Don't make the same bad decision I made.

Handles well. Fun to drive.

Keep the fun to drive part...everything else needs to be redone.

Don't do it............
By Kozso

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

Looking to buy a VW Beetle? Don't do it! We have had our Beetle for 1 1/2 years. We bought used with 60,000 on it. Shame on me for not doing my homework. It has been a nightmare. OK, it is fun to drive, gets 43+ mpg and we have put 50,000 miles on it. But the frequent costly repairs out weighs the savings at the pump and the fun of driving it. VW has an electrical issue. I get the thing fixed, and try to sell, but another indicator lights pops on: check engine, ABS, brake pads - you name it, it has been broken. At this rate I will never get rid of it.

I am so disgusted with it that there are not any favorite features.

Improve the reliability of the electrical system.

By Linda Petty

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

The material on the doors are lifting & coming unglued. Paint inside on door is bubbling. I am not real happy with this. I take very good care of my bug. I keep her in the garage & as I said I only have about 35000 miles on it.I plan on keeping my bug for as long as I can, but the inside is falling apart. Coastal VW will not do anything about it. Said it was wear & tear. In 5 years your car should NOT be falling apart on the inside.

I love my bug!! I like the room it has & the look of a VW. IO had a 1976 VW & loved it. I wanted another.

Paint on inside of doors Door interior is bubbling & lifting away from doors