Used 2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Electrical Faults
By mark wheeler

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

My 2000 Volkswagen Beetle is fun to drive, but has had multiple electrical problems. The gas cap release failed at 250 miles followed by the driver's window motor at 12 months, 6 days and 7,500 miles, followed by the battery at 23 months, the speaker wiring at three years and the radio at four years. The dealer tried to make me cover the window motor because I was six days out of warranty but I shamed him into doing it gratis. I plan on replacing the VW with a more reliable Japanese car.

Favorite Features

Pleasant, comfortable interior design, good acceleration and handling, and nice fit and finish.

Suggested Improvements

The electrical system definitely needs work. The passenger headrest is strategically located to obscure the view out the rear seat side window. The mileage is mildly disappointing, 23 mpg city, 29 mpg highway.

Most Fun Lemon I've ever had
By Husky44

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Bought my 2000 Volkswagen Beetle as a certified used vehicle for my wife to replace her 1999 Passat wagon (the 1st VW lemon we owned). I swore I'd never buy another VW, but she loved it, and this was a manual, instead of an automatic transmission, which gave us so much trouble in the Passat. This car is an absolute blast to drive. Unfortunately, VW quality is poor, and VW service is abysmal. We have had numerous electrical and drivetrain problems with this car. We have thorougly described and documented all of the problems, and have been told by the dealer that they don't exist. We have replaced too many parts to list. When I complained about the turbo spoiler not working automatically at 90+, the dealer told me not to go that fast (then why offer the feature?).

Favorite Features

I love the great performance! The Beetle accelerates like a race car. It will shock many of the hopped up Hondas out there, and it corners like it's on rails.

Suggested Improvements

Complete redesign, focused on improving quality, particularly mechanical and electrical. Change the corporate mindset, held by all of the dealers that I've dealt with - that their cars are great, you're too picky, and all of these problems are minor. By the way, you can replace the headlamps yourself, but the dealer won't tell you that.

I Hate My Car
By cd

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

I will never buy another Volkswagen again. I can't wait to get rid of my lemon. It is one problem after another. Not just with the car, but with my Volkswagen dealership. I'm tired of taking my car back to get the same things fixed over and over. Not to mention the time the mechanic at the dealership told me my car was fine and let me drive away with an overheating car. The problems never end. In my 1998 Beetle, it was the air conditioning, which broke three years in a row. There were many other things wrong with that year, but I decided to give VW another chance and got a 2000 model. Stupid me, this car is a mess. My independant mechanic told me he wanted to shoot my car, I feel the same :(

Favorite Features

Once upon a time I might have said my car looked cute.

Suggested Improvements

My car keeps overheating, so maybe a radiator you can actually pour water into, instead of one you can't get to unless you take off the front bumper! Cupholders you can actually use...so many other things, I think this car needs to stop being made.

Just don't...
By UGH!

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I have had nothing but one problem after another since I bought this car and it only had 12,000K miles on it! Now after I have spent $2,000 plus a $1,500 warranty, I am going to take a huge loss on the trade too. This car stinks and now everyone knows it. Just save yourself the trouble.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Everything.

I love this car
By I Love my Beetle

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

Since I got this car, there was only one problem with it and it was EZ Lube's fault. Took it there for an oil change and the next day oil was on my driveway. I recommend getting a Beetle. It's one of best cars I ever had and I think it's really reliable. All these other people who had problems with it probably didn't really take good care of their Beetles. My Honda Civic had more problems than this car.

Favorite Features

The color, Uni-Red :) the overall look of the car, the CD-Changer, everything!

Suggested Improvements

The dealers shouldn't charge so much for service. One of my headlights burned one dealer told me it cost $54 to fix it if I had a bulb and $74 to fix it without the bulb. I took it back to the dealer I bought it from and they did it for free. And the bulb cost like $10 at AutoZone.