2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
VW Beetle-Air Conditioning problem
By R. Ehret on 06/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I purchased the car 10/01 and in 6/02 discovered the air conditioning didn't work. Neither the dealership nor VOA would do anything about it. There were 2 major leaks-one in the AC Compressor and one in the Evaporator Core. Cost to fix $1800+. The warranty was only for 2 yrs. or 24,000 miles and I was told I was JUST out of warranty.

Would buy another
By P1CDS on 06/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I have had almost no trouble with my GLS. I have 55k on it. It uses about 1 quart of oil per 2k. Seems like a lot but the dealer says it's okay. I will probably trade/sell this one and get another within the year. LEARN HOW TO REPLACE YOUR HEADLIGHTS BEFORE THEY GO OUT!!!!! It is way too expensive at the dealer ($85 for mine). My speedometer/odometer have always been off by about 10% - don't know why.

VW bug = fun
By MindyKae on 05/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I have had my car for almost 4 years and have had no major problems. I did have to have the trunk latch replaced and have the windows worked on, but all was under warranty. Overall, I have really enjoyed the car and I would recommend this car to someone who wants a somewhat unique car with a practical side. I think the turbo would be a nice touch, although I have never driven one.

Most fun I've ever had
By prettygood on 05/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I wasn't looking to buy a Beetle when I was shopping for a car. But after buying one, I don't know if I can go back. The engine is amazing, the interior is very comfortable (the heated seats are a must, and the overall interior look is addictive. Strangers smile and wave at you just because of the car. Most people would not consider a bug because of the looks, but everyone I know has become a fan of my car.

Still turns heads....
By jamb on 04/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

We were looking for a vheicle for my wife, we looked at vehicle that were fun to drive, sporty, economical and reliable. We drove the PT cruiser which was like a mini-van in cool clothing. We test drove the Beetle, we fell in love with it. We have only had minor problems, which our dealer has taken care of very promptly. We are a very satisfied VW customer.

New Beetle
By Casey B on 04/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

WE bought this car used with just under 20,000 miles on it.We had a hard time finding the automatic trans. ,but really tired of shifting. This is my wifes car and I dont drive it a lot,but handling and comfort are very good and it is very quiet at freeway speeds.We already replaced a window regulator and oxygen sensor under warranty no real complaints.

Fun Little Car
By kda on 04/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

This is a great car to get around town and for long trips. It is very comfortable and handles well. Winter driving is great as well as we have found no real problems driving in the snow. The only problem is lack of trunk space but hey it's a beetle..Great car...Love it!!!

Great interior room for a small car
By Wild Blue Yonder on 04/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I am always amazed at how much stuff I can get into my Beetle. Just pop down the back seat and load up boxed up computers, office chairs, you name it. This weekend I bought a bistro set with a table and two chairs...all pieces fit in just fine. I also carted home a rocking chair in it...in fact I tried fitting the chair into my Mazda 626 and it did not fit...had to come back home and get the Beetle.

Buggy about my bug
By Rich Palatini on 04/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I bought my Turbo New Beetle because I considered it to be a great fun drive when I test drove it. And 3 years of driving it hasn't disappointed me. The ride, power and handling continue to impress me even to this day. I love driving a rolling piece of sculpture. Especially something that looks unlike anything else on rhe road. About the only problem I encountered was a short that appeared as a warning light in the instrument cluster. It seems that 3 times in the first two years the air bag indicator light came on. Each time my dealer indicated that it was an electrical short and replaced the cluster under warranty with no charge to me.

Nice Car, Turbo Problems
By Turbo99jetta on 03/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I love this car, however, i have only had it a month and its been at the dealership longer than at my house. We have had turbo problems with it. They replaced the wastegate valve and yet again it went out. it seems like if u get into the car and start moving the turbo heats up and then it never comes back. Great car when its up and running I wish i wouldnt have a turbo problem. The dealership sucks, car is good