2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
178K and still going strong!
By bali1 on 12/11/12 13:01 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

I love my beetle! I bought it in 2008 with 104K miles on it, and it has been a road warrior! Up to 178K miles and still no problems! Replaced water pump and belts at 120K and just regular oil changes. Awesome, reliable car. The front grille keeps coming off because I keep scraping it on the ground (admittedly I have very poor parking skills) so low clearance is my only problem, but that is also what makes it so zippy! If you are looking for reliable transportation this is the car for you!

Great engine
By greg2877 on 07/27/12 05:44 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

I gave this little car 4 stars for the engine only. It is very sound and will last forever, if you keep up with the regular oil changes. I bough the car 2 years ago, and had to do zero repairs for the engine. The inside is a different story. The only thing solid for the car is the engine and the steering wheel. A lot of the inside is made of plastic and actually, under the hood, a little tongue comes out to open the hood, and that broke off, so now I have to magician my way to open it. It's tricky but can be done. The inside is breaking. The sunroof,door handles, locks, and glovebox. I would say, the inside would cost me around $1000 to get fixed. If I do the work myself.

Seems like it's falling apart...=0(
By bridge89 on 04/18/11 11:35 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

I love my Beetle, HOWEVER little things keep breaking. Cosmeticly inside the plastic materials used were just cheap... the visor mirror cover broke off completely so now the visor light is always on, the hande to the glove box completely broke off, can not access glove box, pieces of plasitc from the drink holders have chipped out, even in the backseat which is rarely used. The CD player stopped working, the sensor inside the drivers side door is on the fritz, I have to unlock the car door, then press lock on the remote to lock the door. When it rains, the trunk will not shut, now the door on the gas tank wil not open, had to pry it.. my list goes on...

Too many problems
By Christina on 06/04/08 18:35 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

My Beetle has had endless electrical problems. The chrome finish on the steering wheel began rubbing off after 18 months of ownership. The engine cover falls off once or twice a year, which I hear happens a lot to new beetles. A cute car, but ridiculous to maintain. I didn't start having problems until it was about 4 years old. When I bought it, I sure expected it to last me more than 75,000 miles.

Good value, cool snug bug, but..
By toms on 07/09/07 13:50 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

Nimble handling, chic style and VW's engineering has not let us down in the 2 years we've driven it. Warning! Replacement of body panels may be extremely delayed. We had to wait two months for a new rear right panel - from Japan - to replace our dented end. It kept our New Beetle in the shop all that time.

I Hate My Car
By cd on 09/30/05 21:51 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

I will never buy another Volkswagen again. I can't wait to get rid of my lemon. It is one problem after another. Not just with the car, but with my Volkswagen dealership. I'm tired of taking my car back to get the same things fixed over and over. Not to mention the time the mechanic at the dealership told me my car was fine and let me drive away with an overheating car. The problems never end. In my 1998 Beetle, it was the air conditioning, which broke three years in a row. There were many other things wrong with that year, but I decided to give VW another chance and got a 2000 model. Stupid me, this car is a mess. My independant mechanic told me he wanted to shoot my car, I feel the same :(

2000 Volkswagen Beetle
By sandy on 08/30/05 16:26 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

I purchased this car for my daughter. It's the worst car we've ever had. Major problems. Interior parts come off in your hand. Go to web sites before purchasing a bug. I traded it for a Saturn!

By Linda Petty on 07/28/05 09:24 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

The material on the doors are lifting & coming unglued. Paint inside on door is bubbling. I am not real happy with this. I take very good care of my bug. I keep her in the garage & as I said I only have about 35000 miles on it.I plan on keeping my bug for as long as I can, but the inside is falling apart. Coastal VW will not do anything about it. Said it was wear & tear. In 5 years your car should NOT be falling apart on the inside.

Too bad!
By savage1 on 04/29/05 15:16 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

Major repair problems. Tried 2 different VW dealers and an independent mechanic - no one can fix it right. Had head gasket replaced ($1200), water pump, and themostat (twice) - still overheating! No temp gauge - only a red light when it's already too hot. Front license plate holder fell off. Everything about this car is expensive, so make sure you get an extended warranty! Dealer service is terrible - will keep car for a week for any repairs. Oil change took 3 hours.

Nice Dress, Shame about the Bod
By MTLA on 03/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

Think hard before falling for the Beetle's very real charm. Replacement brakes at 35K, failed starter motor at 45K, broken hood realease, failed glove box hinge, sheared off mirror adjuster, 3 new O2 sensors, 3 mass airflow sensors later we're ready to say bye bye. Add to that a customer service dept which manages to sound concerned and attentive while never actually giving the immpression that they'll ever do anything.