Used 2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GL Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volkswagen New-beetle - Consumer Reviews

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

178K and still going strong!
By bali1

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

I love my beetle! I bought it in 2008 with 104K miles on it, and it has been a road warrior! Up to 178K miles and still no problems! Replaced water pump and belts at 120K and just regular oil changes. Awesome, reliable car. The front grille keeps coming off because I keep scraping it on the ground (admittedly I have very poor parking skills) so low clearance is my only problem, but that is also what makes it so zippy! If you are looking for reliable transportation this is the car for you!

Great engine
By greg2877

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

I gave this little car 4 stars for the engine only. It is very sound and will last forever, if you keep up with the regular oil changes. I bough the car 2 years ago, and had to do zero repairs for the engine. The inside is a different story. The only thing solid for the car is the engine and the steering wheel. A lot of the inside is made of plastic and actually, under the hood, a little tongue comes out to open the hood, and that broke off, so now I have to magician my way to open it. It's tricky but can be done. The inside is breaking. The sunroof,door handles, locks, and glovebox. I would say, the inside would cost me around $1000 to get fixed. If I do the work myself.

Favorite Features

Love the engine. Solid if you change the oil and get a tune every now and then. If you run it into the ground, just like any car, you will have it towed 3 or 4 time and it will leave you stranded.

Suggested Improvements

Stop using cheap plastic. If the car runs really well, it makes no difference when a person tries to resell and the consumer sees the roof is falling doen and the plastic is all breaking. It bring the value and the company name way down, regardless of the engine quality.

Seems like it's falling apart...=0(
By bridge89

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

I love my Beetle, HOWEVER little things keep breaking. Cosmeticly inside the plastic materials used were just cheap... the visor mirror cover broke off completely so now the visor light is always on, the hande to the glove box completely broke off, can not access glove box, pieces of plasitc from the drink holders have chipped out, even in the backseat which is rarely used. The CD player stopped working, the sensor inside the drivers side door is on the fritz, I have to unlock the car door, then press lock on the remote to lock the door. When it rains, the trunk will not shut, now the door on the gas tank wil not open, had to pry it.. my list goes on...

Favorite Features

I have always wanted a Beetle and love driving it, I have had very little mechanical issues, I do take care of my car but the little stuff going srong has turned me a bit sour. I was planning to keep it and give it to my daugher who turns 16 this year, but God forbid she be stranded somewhere because she couldn't fill up at the gas station becasue she couldn't get the tank open... Seems like too much trouble and too expensive to keep fixing the isses like the trunk latch, the tank latch, the stereo.. the door sensor alone was quoted around $500.00..

Suggested Improvements

Make a Beetle that I could put a reasonably sized baby stroller in. Not one DECENT umbrella stroller would even fit in the trunk, they were all too long by just a couple of inches unless I wanted to purchase the Walmart cheapie for 20 bucks. I actually had to put my stroller in my back-seat taking up space for another person.

Too many problems
By Christina

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

My Beetle has had endless electrical problems. The chrome finish on the steering wheel began rubbing off after 18 months of ownership. The engine cover falls off once or twice a year, which I hear happens a lot to new beetles. A cute car, but ridiculous to maintain. I didn't start having problems until it was about 4 years old. When I bought it, I sure expected it to last me more than 75,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Really great gas mileage, fun to drive, and cute.

Suggested Improvements

Fixing anything is so expensive. It is unreliable and falling apart, even though I take care of it. It is something new every two months. Time to buy a Toyota.

Good value, cool snug bug, but..
By toms

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

Nimble handling, chic style and VW's engineering has not let us down in the 2 years we've driven it. Warning! Replacement of body panels may be extremely delayed. We had to wait two months for a new rear right panel - from Japan - to replace our dented end. It kept our New Beetle in the shop all that time.

Favorite Features

Style, driving and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Easily breakable plastic switches and fixtures lower tone of interior. All those cup holders are overkill, and veer to the cheesy.