Used 2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volkswagen New-beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Very glad I bought it, so sorry that someone else totaled it.
By mpls5

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

This was my first new car, every other car I ever had, including a 1974 superbeetle convertible, started at over 100,000. I had some small problems the first 5 years. No problems the next 5. Drove pretty rough the last 2, but probably mostly my fault. :) I really wanted to get the car to 200,000-probably would have if a 21 year old hadn't sideswiped into me at 75 mph, sending me spinning across three lanes of interstate and into a cement barrier. Car dented on 3 sides on the outside, none on inside. Airbag didn't deploy and didn't need too, though I did get sore. Very safe car. Handled a lot of less than ideal conditions- well, including spending over 10 yrs in MN, only 1 yr of it garaged.

Favorite Features

1. Love driving at night with the interior red and blue lights - felt like I was in my own little space ship. 2. Other drivers treat you better when you are driving a bug. They let you merge much more easily and wave you into their lane when traffic is stop and go. 3. Fun to drive and had good pick up and braking. 4. Transmission lasted me entire 162,000+ miles and I am not the gentlist stick shift driver. 5. Was rear-ended 3 times with barely any damage to my vehicle & barely even a muscle ache afterword. In one incident I was at a full stop and a BMW behind me, who was also at a full stop, was rammed into my car at 70 mph by a car behind him. His car was totaled, mine just scratched up.

Suggested Improvements

1. 6 cd disk holder never worked right. 2. O2 Sensor touchy and unhelpful. 3. Cupholders were ridiculous.

Good car if it's taken care of.
By chasecm

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I bought my vw beetle a few months ago, and I have had a few problems. I had to replace the ball joints, and the catalytic converter the first week. However It was my fault because I purchased a vehicle without getting in inspected like I should have. I believe vws are good cars if you take care of them. So when you buy one used, just be careful not to buy one that has not had its scheduled maintenance like it should have.

Favorite Features

Cute car Fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

The interior quality could be greatly improved.

please read before buying beetle
By hatevw1

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

i bought my 2000 new beetle in feb 2010 and i have put probably 3000 or more into it with repairs have seen it be towed away 4 times, left me stranded for all those times. i have done nothing but regret buying that car. yes its cute but thats it. i am honestly scared to drive it places in fear that it will leave me stranded again. its a piece of junk, and everything is expensive to fix and a pain to fix as well. i do not suggest anyone buys this car. i really wish they would stop making them to be honest. that breaks my heart to say because i always dreamed of owning a beetle and that dream has turned into a nightmare.

Favorite Features

it's cute on the outside, tell me the temperature outside... that's about it.

Suggested Improvements

everything

250k! <3 my bug.
By dulciepoo

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

My parents bought this car at 60k, gave it to me at 120k, and i've driven it up to 250k, and it's still going. I've had some issues, of course....it's a car. Heating/cooling fan went out, clutch replaced once, windshield wiper fluid stopped spraying? cheap interior. Still, it is time I look for another car, and I am looking at VWs. Expensive repairs, but a VW will stay running forever. Do not pay $60 for your headlight. I bought the bulb for $12 and a small mechanic did labor for $8. Find someone else to do repairs! You'll pay 1/3 the price that you did at the dealer. Just make sure he/she knows what they're doing.

Love to drive it, but tired of problems.
By SunBear

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

When I bought this car, it had about 60ish thousand miles on it. Has transmission problems, doesn't like to go in reverse or it slips around the third gear. (Automatic). And VW wants 3k+ for a replacement! Even rebuilt ones online are over 1k. Replaced the water pump twice, the timing belt once. The headlights have both gone out, and take forever to replace. We have done all of the work at home, to save money, and it is a pain to do work on it, things are hard to get to. Car burns oil Recently replaced the starter and battery. I love driving this car, I can take corners at 45+ with no problem. The CD player it came with never worked, and my seat heater stopped working- but it's a sturdy car

Favorite Features

Stability for sure. The speakers are also nice. Has a strong feel to it.

Suggested Improvements

Mostly mechanical, I've heard a lot of cases of the transmissions going out on these and they are too high to replace.