2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
178K and still going strong!
By bali1 on 12/11/12 13:01 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

I love my beetle! I bought it in 2008 with 104K miles on it, and it has been a road warrior! Up to 178K miles and still no problems! Replaced water pump and belts at 120K and just regular oil changes. Awesome, reliable car. The front grille keeps coming off because I keep scraping it on the ground (admittedly I have very poor parking skills) so low clearance is my only problem, but that is also what makes it so zippy! If you are looking for reliable transportation this is the car for you!

Very glad I bought it, so sorry that someone else totaled it.
By mpls5 on 11/30/12 19:19 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

This was my first new car, every other car I ever had, including a 1974 superbeetle convertible, started at over 100,000. I had some small problems the first 5 years. No problems the next 5. Drove pretty rough the last 2, but probably mostly my fault. :) I really wanted to get the car to 200,000-probably would have if a 21 year old hadn't sideswiped into me at 75 mph, sending me spinning across three lanes of interstate and into a cement barrier. Car dented on 3 sides on the outside, none on inside. Airbag didn't deploy and didn't need too, though I did get sore. Very safe car. Handled a lot of less than ideal conditions- well, including spending over 10 yrs in MN, only 1 yr of it garaged.

Good car if it's taken care of.
By chasecm on 08/13/12 14:06 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I bought my vw beetle a few months ago, and I have had a few problems. I had to replace the ball joints, and the catalytic converter the first week. However It was my fault because I purchased a vehicle without getting in inspected like I should have. I believe vws are good cars if you take care of them. So when you buy one used, just be careful not to buy one that has not had its scheduled maintenance like it should have.

Will always be my favorite and possible only type of car!!!
By frunklaje on 08/12/12 20:51 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Awesome little bug! It can carry a lot even three dogs, nice spoiler,(not a surprise it comes out at 90mph) great mileage have gotten 40 on highway, very small and compact but still a lot of head room. PS: Very strong panels. Ran into a van, van got a dent but no scratch on the beetle.

Great engine
By greg2877 on 07/27/12 05:44 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

I gave this little car 4 stars for the engine only. It is very sound and will last forever, if you keep up with the regular oil changes. I bough the car 2 years ago, and had to do zero repairs for the engine. The inside is a different story. The only thing solid for the car is the engine and the steering wheel. A lot of the inside is made of plastic and actually, under the hood, a little tongue comes out to open the hood, and that broke off, so now I have to magician my way to open it. It's tricky but can be done. The inside is breaking. The sunroof,door handles, locks, and glovebox. I would say, the inside would cost me around $1000 to get fixed. If I do the work myself.

Fun car but its falling apart
By bbo on 12/27/11 14:39 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car brand new and it was a fun car to drive. I love this car and still love this car but random parts of the car started falling off like the interior door handle, the window regulator, pretty much every plastic piece. my head lights burn every 3000 miles and my rear passenger side fixed window fell off on the freeway. The radio went out and the defroster doesn't work well. I a little electrical issues.

this car is ok nothing to write home about
By terrynikkomay on 11/11/11 09:01 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car 3 1/2 years ago and i had it repaired a few times ,like heater hose was rusted through ,then the air bag light came on due to when you move the seats it cuts the wires thats for the seat air bags happened 3xs then gas lid would not open so i disconnected it then when it snows you cant get trunk lid to shut after opening it ,shocks are bad rough ride ,car vibrates on freeway and hard to control on windy days also plastic break off easy in side like glovebox etc

please read before buying beetle
By hatevw1 on 09/12/11 19:04 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

i bought my 2000 new beetle in feb 2010 and i have put probably 3000 or more into it with repairs have seen it be towed away 4 times, left me stranded for all those times. i have done nothing but regret buying that car. yes its cute but thats it. i am honestly scared to drive it places in fear that it will leave me stranded again. its a piece of junk, and everything is expensive to fix and a pain to fix as well. i do not suggest anyone buys this car. i really wish they would stop making them to be honest. that breaks my heart to say because i always dreamed of owning a beetle and that dream has turned into a nightmare.

250k! <3 my bug.
By dulciepoo on 06/02/11 06:12 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

My parents bought this car at 60k, gave it to me at 120k, and i've driven it up to 250k, and it's still going. I've had some issues, of course....it's a car. Heating/cooling fan went out, clutch replaced once, windshield wiper fluid stopped spraying? cheap interior. Still, it is time I look for another car, and I am looking at VWs. Expensive repairs, but a VW will stay running forever. Do not pay $60 for your headlight. I bought the bulb for $12 and a small mechanic did labor for $8. Find someone else to do repairs! You'll pay 1/3 the price that you did at the dealer. Just make sure he/she knows what they're doing.

Seems like it's falling apart...=0(
By bridge89 on 04/18/11 11:35 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

I love my Beetle, HOWEVER little things keep breaking. Cosmeticly inside the plastic materials used were just cheap... the visor mirror cover broke off completely so now the visor light is always on, the hande to the glove box completely broke off, can not access glove box, pieces of plasitc from the drink holders have chipped out, even in the backseat which is rarely used. The CD player stopped working, the sensor inside the drivers side door is on the fritz, I have to unlock the car door, then press lock on the remote to lock the door. When it rains, the trunk will not shut, now the door on the gas tank wil not open, had to pry it.. my list goes on...