Used 2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Breaks down every other month
By Jessica

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Ive never experienced so many problems with a car before. The engine coils break every 4 months as well as the spark plugs. Ive gotten the battery replaced multiple times in the past 3 years. The interior cloth and leather seats are falling apart so easily. The radiator and water pump had to be replaced. I feel like ive replaced and have fixed everything in this car and yet i still have problems with it. Reading all the other reviews im starting to think maybe i just got a bad one or the owner before me didnt do crap to maintain it!!! its a shame though because it really is a unique and fun looking car to drive.

178K and still going strong!
By bali1

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

I love my beetle! I bought it in 2008 with 104K miles on it, and it has been a road warrior! Up to 178K miles and still no problems! Replaced water pump and belts at 120K and just regular oil changes. Awesome, reliable car. The front grille keeps coming off because I keep scraping it on the ground (admittedly I have very poor parking skills) so low clearance is my only problem, but that is also what makes it so zippy! If you are looking for reliable transportation this is the car for you!

Very glad I bought it, so sorry that someone else totaled it.
By mpls5

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

This was my first new car, every other car I ever had, including a 1974 superbeetle convertible, started at over 100,000. I had some small problems the first 5 years. No problems the next 5. Drove pretty rough the last 2, but probably mostly my fault. :) I really wanted to get the car to 200,000-probably would have if a 21 year old hadn't sideswiped into me at 75 mph, sending me spinning across three lanes of interstate and into a cement barrier. Car dented on 3 sides on the outside, none on inside. Airbag didn't deploy and didn't need too, though I did get sore. Very safe car. Handled a lot of less than ideal conditions- well, including spending over 10 yrs in MN, only 1 yr of it garaged.

1. Love driving at night with the interior red and blue lights - felt like I was in my own little space ship. 2. Other drivers treat you better when you are driving a bug. They let you merge much more easily and wave you into their lane when traffic is stop and go. 3. Fun to drive and had good pick up and braking. 4. Transmission lasted me entire 162,000+ miles and I am not the gentlist stick shift driver. 5. Was rear-ended 3 times with barely any damage to my vehicle & barely even a muscle ache afterword. In one incident I was at a full stop and a BMW behind me, who was also at a full stop, was rammed into my car at 70 mph by a car behind him. His car was totaled, mine just scratched up.

1. 6 cd disk holder never worked right. 2. O2 Sensor touchy and unhelpful. 3. Cupholders were ridiculous.

Good car if it's taken care of.
By chasecm

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I bought my vw beetle a few months ago, and I have had a few problems. I had to replace the ball joints, and the catalytic converter the first week. However It was my fault because I purchased a vehicle without getting in inspected like I should have. I believe vws are good cars if you take care of them. So when you buy one used, just be careful not to buy one that has not had its scheduled maintenance like it should have.

Cute car Fun to drive

The interior quality could be greatly improved.

Will always be my favorite and possible only type of car!!!
By frunklaje

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Awesome little bug! It can carry a lot even three dogs, nice spoiler,(not a surprise it comes out at 90mph) great mileage have gotten 40 on highway, very small and compact but still a lot of head room. PS: Very strong panels. Ran into a van, van got a dent but no scratch on the beetle.

The red light up dashboard, easy to replace wheel covers, pretty nice turbo, big dashboard for pizza, still four seats and great adjustable steering column.

None Really