Used 2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

178K and still going strong!
By bali1

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

I love my beetle! I bought it in 2008 with 104K miles on it, and it has been a road warrior! Up to 178K miles and still no problems! Replaced water pump and belts at 120K and just regular oil changes. Awesome, reliable car. The front grille keeps coming off because I keep scraping it on the ground (admittedly I have very poor parking skills) so low clearance is my only problem, but that is also what makes it so zippy! If you are looking for reliable transportation this is the car for you!

Very glad I bought it, so sorry that someone else totaled it.
By mpls5

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

This was my first new car, every other car I ever had, including a 1974 superbeetle convertible, started at over 100,000. I had some small problems the first 5 years. No problems the next 5. Drove pretty rough the last 2, but probably mostly my fault. :) I really wanted to get the car to 200,000-probably would have if a 21 year old hadn't sideswiped into me at 75 mph, sending me spinning across three lanes of interstate and into a cement barrier. Car dented on 3 sides on the outside, none on inside. Airbag didn't deploy and didn't need too, though I did get sore. Very safe car. Handled a lot of less than ideal conditions- well, including spending over 10 yrs in MN, only 1 yr of it garaged.

1. Love driving at night with the interior red and blue lights - felt like I was in my own little space ship. 2. Other drivers treat you better when you are driving a bug. They let you merge much more easily and wave you into their lane when traffic is stop and go. 3. Fun to drive and had good pick up and braking. 4. Transmission lasted me entire 162,000+ miles and I am not the gentlist stick shift driver. 5. Was rear-ended 3 times with barely any damage to my vehicle & barely even a muscle ache afterword. In one incident I was at a full stop and a BMW behind me, who was also at a full stop, was rammed into my car at 70 mph by a car behind him. His car was totaled, mine just scratched up.

1. 6 cd disk holder never worked right. 2. O2 Sensor touchy and unhelpful. 3. Cupholders were ridiculous.

Good car if it's taken care of.
By chasecm

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 2dr Hatchback

I bought my vw beetle a few months ago, and I have had a few problems. I had to replace the ball joints, and the catalytic converter the first week. However It was my fault because I purchased a vehicle without getting in inspected like I should have. I believe vws are good cars if you take care of them. So when you buy one used, just be careful not to buy one that has not had its scheduled maintenance like it should have.

Cute car Fun to drive

The interior quality could be greatly improved.

Will always be my favorite and possible only type of car!!!
By frunklaje

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Awesome little bug! It can carry a lot even three dogs, nice spoiler,(not a surprise it comes out at 90mph) great mileage have gotten 40 on highway, very small and compact but still a lot of head room. PS: Very strong panels. Ran into a van, van got a dent but no scratch on the beetle.

The red light up dashboard, easy to replace wheel covers, pretty nice turbo, big dashboard for pizza, still four seats and great adjustable steering column.

None Really

Great engine
By greg2877

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback

I gave this little car 4 stars for the engine only. It is very sound and will last forever, if you keep up with the regular oil changes. I bough the car 2 years ago, and had to do zero repairs for the engine. The inside is a different story. The only thing solid for the car is the engine and the steering wheel. A lot of the inside is made of plastic and actually, under the hood, a little tongue comes out to open the hood, and that broke off, so now I have to magician my way to open it. It's tricky but can be done. The inside is breaking. The sunroof,door handles, locks, and glovebox. I would say, the inside would cost me around $1000 to get fixed. If I do the work myself.

Love the engine. Solid if you change the oil and get a tune every now and then. If you run it into the ground, just like any car, you will have it towed 3 or 4 time and it will leave you stranded.

Stop using cheap plastic. If the car runs really well, it makes no difference when a person tries to resell and the consumer sees the roof is falling doen and the plastic is all breaking. It bring the value and the company name way down, regardless of the engine quality.