Used 2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Fun car but its falling apart
By bbo

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car brand new and it was a fun car to drive. I love this car and still love this car but random parts of the car started falling off like the interior door handle, the window regulator, pretty much every plastic piece. my head lights burn every 3000 miles and my rear passenger side fixed window fell off on the freeway. The radio went out and the defroster doesn't work well. I a little electrical issues.

the sunroof, rear spoiler, the blue color the well designed exterior. the performance and the speed. my head doesn't hit the ceiling when sitting in it. the gas milage .the simpleness of the interior. the comfortable leather seats.

the head lights. the plastic piece, the radio the defroster and the window motors

Good if you take care of it
By lucky12depart

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

My mom actually bought this car a year 2000, and bought it in 2008. From the start, it was making a very loud noise from the engine, til i figured it was the air pump. So we replaced that and it takes off very fast! I have seen some reviews on this car, and i do not think this car gets the good reviews it deserves. If people actually take care of the problem and know exactly what it is, then it will be good to you. Anybody could buy a car brand new, but eventually it will need to be fixed, and something will break down. This car is running good and fast even after soo long. I could say that interior is cheap, but just driving this is very cool. even the small size makes it great anywhere.

My favorite thing is the 1.8 Turbo engine that puts out a kick to take off. The size is not too small, but good enough to get around without having a bulky car like a sedan that has been stretched out with unnecessary space. I think this car would be good for people that are single, or dont have too much baggage (family). Saves on gas and a good car if you know exactly what you are doing with a German car.

I think it could have a high value on the interior. Could have made the dash area a little smaller. Could have made the the back seat area with more room, but with the new Beetle coming out, i think it will figure it out.

Been good for ten years
By sunman42

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I realize I probably drive this less than most, being blessed with a 2.5 mile commute (each way), but it's gone ten years with no major work due to anything other than stupidity (mine, in barreling into a deep pot hole this year that required a new catalytic converter) or age (the impeller in the water pump broke in two this year, and I took the opportunity to have the timing chain replaced - all small engines need it sooner or later. I have lost no switches or other details, but would have preferred (1) a remote that actually opened the hatchback, rather than leaving it partly unlatched but closed on cold days, and (2) a driver's window that opened a bit faster. Good, safe car, fun to drive

Turbo performance, suspension, handling, leather upholstery, sunroof, wet and snow road handling

Better cup holder placement (though medium sized drinks fit fine), more reliable electrical connections for remote (e.g. gas filler door release), better hatchback release.

Mind of Its Own
By chicadee1652

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Heres what I went through in the ten months that I owned my bug before trading it in: 2 new alternators ($400 each), 4 new tires ($450 for all), getting stranded b/c the battery was dead all the time, new front brakes ($300), and then, the mother of all, in one weekend- oil change that led to $800 repair for hose that kept engine cool, $900 for new timing belt in the engine, and the guy also told me it would need a new front axle. I said forget it, so I traded it in the next day for a 2006 Hyundai sonata which drives like a Lexus!

the turbo, and that was only when it worked. the looks. and heated seats.

anything electrical. my check engine light was on for 9 months out of the ten months that i owned it.

worst car i ever bought
By Megan

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I first got the car it ran fine until 40k and 4 years later. The red engine light went on and i took to dealership where they said needs a new motor. That $3,000 next after that the red coolant light came on and that was a new water pump, thermostat, fans, that's another 1000. It is one big pile. my advice is to shoot it that would make it the best car i have ever owned.

• SUV