2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Volkswagen New-beetle - Consumer Reviews

2000 New Beetle Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Sort Reviews by

Will always be my favorite and possible only type of car!!!
By frunklaje

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Awesome little bug! It can carry a lot even three dogs, nice spoiler,(not a surprise it comes out at 90mph) great mileage have gotten 40 on highway, very small and compact but still a lot of head room. PS: Very strong panels. Ran into a van, van got a dent but no scratch on the beetle.

Favorite Features

The red light up dashboard, easy to replace wheel covers, pretty nice turbo, big dashboard for pizza, still four seats and great adjustable steering column.

Suggested Improvements

None Really

this car is ok nothing to write home about
By terrynikkomay

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car 3 1/2 years ago and i had it repaired a few times ,like heater hose was rusted through ,then the air bag light came on due to when you move the seats it cuts the wires thats for the seat air bags happened 3xs then gas lid would not open so i disconnected it then when it snows you cant get trunk lid to shut after opening it ,shocks are bad rough ride ,car vibrates on freeway and hard to control on windy days also plastic break off easy in side like glovebox etc

Favorite Features

i do like the turbo car is fast

Suggested Improvements

fix all the complaints then you would have a good car

LOVE THIS CAR!!!
By vwlove

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car last year and it is the best one i owned! I haven't had a problem yet and its so comfortable! i have a turbo and you wouldn't imagine how fast it can go. it's great for everyone! even my dad likes driving the car.

Favorite Features

i like having the cd player in the trunk so you dont have to see it. safety is excellent!

Suggested Improvements

cup holders, but thats it

Trade it in quickly
By Cathy

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Very cute car and fun to drive, but extremely unreliable. If you don't live close to a volkswagen dealership don't even think of buying one. Been on tow truck almost as much as driven in the 15 months we owned it. Constant problems starting. Shudders when it starts and was told by dearlership this was normal. When it shuddered for them, they could not figure out what was wrong and wanted to replace many parts to try to fix it. Car was bought for 19 year old daughter. She loved it when it ran, but it was dead more than running. Just replaced shifter linkage because linkage is made out of plastic parts.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive when it was running.

Suggested Improvements

Don't make parts out of plastic. Teach the mechanics at the dealerships how to fix the numerous problems the bugs have.

10 Years & Still Goin'!
By Edi Mac

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

My husband bought me a 2000 "Bug" in 2005 for Mother's Day, had 32,000 miles. The turbo power is awesome, it hugs/grips the road like you wouldn't believe, the 6 disc cd/speakers will blow you outta there, let the back seat down & you'd be surprised what you can haul around, great mileage. After 5 years: new gear shift, timing belt, tires, inside roof. Mileage today: 69,888. The door panels have come loose & finding replacements is almost impossible. The engine light just came on yesterday, not looking forward to whatever this may cost. Husband says to trade it in. I don't wanna. The bottom line is: it's a great running lil car. Gonna hold on to it as long as I can afford it.

Favorite Features

Handling, maneuverability, mileage, sound system

Suggested Improvements

Sturdier/stronger door panels, larger cup holders

Yellow car = less green wallet
By AJ

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I bought my Beetle, in December 2008. I bought it with zero maintenance records, at night. Oops! I have been a Beetle/New Beetle nut since I could walk. I'm 23 now, this is my 15th car. It was always my dream car and knew I messed up when I bought it. No service records took a big hit on my wallet. If you buy a Beetle, be smart, get it from someone who appreciates the car. Look for maintenance records. I'd agree some people DO get a lemon. These cars are "particular" and require TLC to be right. I love my car. Don't buy this car thinking you can let things go as you would in another car. If you are reading this, know it's a VW not a Toyota, and you have to maintain it thoroughly.

Favorite Features

The turbo, the gearbox, the speed activated spoiler, the heated seats, the great front visibility. My car is lightly (chipped and a few other things) modded, and I have no problem eating new Honda Civic si's for a snack. It's quick, and puts up a good fight. It's a blast to drive in the mountains

Suggested Improvements

How about an actual temperature gauge? That's my biggest complaint. That flashing red light when my water pump went out was of no help to tell me how hot it was. Maybe lumbar support would have been nice, but some models (like the Turbo S) I believe had it. Don't bother with the automatic = junk

Little Bug'er
By Ornary Old Coot

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Ok, so bought this turbo beast of mine at 114000, here I am and 2 oil changes later (at 5000km's a piece, first one as soon as I got her ), I'm at 120000km's n she drives like a dream. I call her pristine, mind you after the manual sunroof blocker had to be removed and the sunroof is visible all the time I may have to change that. I got her reasonably young, and is amazing to drive. I take off ramps rated at 40 km/hr at 80 and she hugs every corner. When I bought her, she came with 17" Momo Italia 5 spokes, wrapped in pirelli's. I had a 96 jetta b4 hand and this one is much more fun, aside from a lack in cupholders and a bit of trunk space, handling is superb for a front wheel drive

Favorite Features

Handling, Unique Exterior, Handling, Handling, Handling. Mpg. Winter Package. Eats Honda's. Fun to drive factor. Shock Factor. Excellent tranny, turbo, the whole nine. Bugs Rule. Miss the traditional bug sound.

Suggested Improvements

The cupholder's need work. Only being able to fit a 250ml can of Beaver buzz and Coke can, and not being able to fit a 500ml, is a pain.

Dangerous to drive
By lindagill

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

The first few months headlights went out on my way home from work in the dark. Both went out at the same time. Happened again a year later. No one enjoys replacing the headlights. Sensor under the brake went out first year and second year. Was told by VW to bad you have to pay again. Car will not go into gear with out it. Learned to over ride it but dangerous to get to VW for repair. Sun roof one year leaks 250.00 plus 99.00 just to talk to VW. They have a sign when you walk in 99.00 a hour even if it does not take a hour you pay for it even if you only need a 20.00 part. Rims bad never held air in tires replaced tires over and over. To many repairs to list. Linda

Favorite Features

gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Do not sell in Northeastern Ohio to much snow stranded alot. Headlights dangerous. Rims replaced. Brake sensor bad sun roof leaks key cost to much and do not work. 300.00 for a new door latch to be installed. CD player stopped working at 75,000 miles and never really used it much. Can go on and on.

VW New Beetle Always in the Repair Shop!
By J. Engle

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

We bought a new 2000 VW GLS 1.8T since my wife had owned an original Beetle for over 15 years. We were hoping the second time around would be as good or better than the first Beetle she had owned. The New Beetle we bought was constantly in the shop for chronic and annoying electrical problems. The entire front dash wiring went out just after the warranty expired. We got tired of spending repair money on this New Beetle and the fact that it was constantly in the repair shop for electrical problems. We went out and bought a new 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid which we love for the gas mileage and which has never had any repairs other than routine maintenance. We will never buy a VW product again!

Favorite Features

The Turbo Engine ran well but burned oil. Had to switch to synthetic motor oil which helped. Fun to drive on the highway and hugs the road nicely.

Suggested Improvements

Quality on this car which we bought new was terrible---always in the repair shop with (expensive) electrical problems. The 1.8 Turbo burns 91 octane which is too expensive.

Greatest Car in the Whole Darn Universe!
By dora2

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I bought my Beetle Baby used!! I loved it from day 1 that I first saw it. The color is bright green with a sunroof. After I had it for about 3 months I had problems getting it started, but that was due to the mechanic not knowing what he was doing. My next car is going to be a convertible Beetle Baby.

Favorite Features

The whole bug!! Beetle Bugs looks so lovable!!

Suggested Improvements

Soda cup holder in a better place. Outside mirrors in a lower position. More interior lights.