2000 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Very glad I bought it, so sorry that someone else totaled it.
By mpls5 on 11/30/12 19:19 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

This was my first new car, every other car I ever had, including a 1974 superbeetle convertible, started at over 100,000. I had some small problems the first 5 years. No problems the next 5. Drove pretty rough the last 2, but probably mostly my fault. :) I really wanted to get the car to 200,000-probably would have if a 21 year old hadn't sideswiped into me at 75 mph, sending me spinning across three lanes of interstate and into a cement barrier. Car dented on 3 sides on the outside, none on inside. Airbag didn't deploy and didn't need too, though I did get sore. Very safe car. Handled a lot of less than ideal conditions- well, including spending over 10 yrs in MN, only 1 yr of it garaged.

Good car if it's taken care of.
By chasecm on 08/13/12 14:06 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I bought my vw beetle a few months ago, and I have had a few problems. I had to replace the ball joints, and the catalytic converter the first week. However It was my fault because I purchased a vehicle without getting in inspected like I should have. I believe vws are good cars if you take care of them. So when you buy one used, just be careful not to buy one that has not had its scheduled maintenance like it should have.

please read before buying beetle
By hatevw1 on 09/12/11 19:04 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

i bought my 2000 new beetle in feb 2010 and i have put probably 3000 or more into it with repairs have seen it be towed away 4 times, left me stranded for all those times. i have done nothing but regret buying that car. yes its cute but thats it. i am honestly scared to drive it places in fear that it will leave me stranded again. its a piece of junk, and everything is expensive to fix and a pain to fix as well. i do not suggest anyone buys this car. i really wish they would stop making them to be honest. that breaks my heart to say because i always dreamed of owning a beetle and that dream has turned into a nightmare.

250k! <3 my bug.
By dulciepoo on 06/02/11 06:12 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

My parents bought this car at 60k, gave it to me at 120k, and i've driven it up to 250k, and it's still going. I've had some issues, of course....it's a car. Heating/cooling fan went out, clutch replaced once, windshield wiper fluid stopped spraying? cheap interior. Still, it is time I look for another car, and I am looking at VWs. Expensive repairs, but a VW will stay running forever. Do not pay $60 for your headlight. I bought the bulb for $12 and a small mechanic did labor for $8. Find someone else to do repairs! You'll pay 1/3 the price that you did at the dealer. Just make sure he/she knows what they're doing.

Love to drive it, but tired of problems.
By SunBear on 07/09/10 15:02 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

When I bought this car, it had about 60ish thousand miles on it. Has transmission problems, doesn't like to go in reverse or it slips around the third gear. (Automatic). And VW wants 3k+ for a replacement! Even rebuilt ones online are over 1k. Replaced the water pump twice, the timing belt once. The headlights have both gone out, and take forever to replace. We have done all of the work at home, to save money, and it is a pain to do work on it, things are hard to get to. Car burns oil Recently replaced the starter and battery. I love driving this car, I can take corners at 45+ with no problem. The CD player it came with never worked, and my seat heater stopped working- but it's a sturdy car

In love with my car. :)
By VWlover on 06/01/10 10:21 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

In my opinion this is the best car. i love it! being a smaller car like i am, its the perfect size. very comfortable. safe. Drives amazing. great sound system. i couldn't have asked for a better car from my parents. as long as you take care of it, nothing goes wrong, I've had no major repairs been made. oil change, and tires balanced. thats about it. Thank you VolksWagen.

Cute but crappy
By luvely21 on 11/04/09 23:20 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

Took it in the next day after purchase to service the driver window because it didn't want to go up.The interior melts in the sun.Switches in the car fall off,like window switches. Cupholders detach therefore, i have a big orange juice stain on the passenger floor.Replaced both headlights at least once every year, very expensive, due to labor.VW made it difficult for customers to do themselves.Head of car hit pavement going over bumps.Forgot how many times I took it to get something fixed or replaced.AC filter needed to be cleaned within the 1st year and VW charged me for that. Hubcaps fell off in the 1st year of ownership.I hate this car.Even my Sentra from the 80's treated me better.

Over Priced Niche Car
By fuscia on 10/30/09 13:42 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

bought used in 2002, I'm so disappointed. I've literally watched my car disintegrate around me. I'm a fastidious car owner and keep my cars clean. I've had electrical issues, the interior has been disintegrating since the day I bought it used. The window switches break, the weird rubber dash coating scratches easily, the vinyl interior is coming away from the door, hatchback won't close properly,fog light bracket broke,water pump melted, the suspension's shot after 7 yrs normal driving, speakers are starting to crackle after normal volume levels, the emergency brake rusted thru within 3 yrs,the brakes stick and wear the pads down. The car is meant to be looked at not driven on a daily basis

Very Reliable and Fun
By Barronae on 08/03/09 18:14 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I have had this car now for 5 years and am just now going to get rid of it due to my growing family and needing something bigger. This car has been WONDERFUL! I've never had to do anything other than routine maintenance!! I hate having to sell and I recommend this car to anyone!! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!

CRASHED!
By Bo on 06/17/09 09:53 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

SO my parents bought the bug for my older sister then it was handled down to me..i hated it at first because i felt like i was driving in a BUBBLE and it was not air resistance.(everytime driving on the highway i felt like i was going to be blown away with the wind)..ANYWHO i came to love the bug cuz it started to become fun until one day i lost control on the highway and crash!!!! (accident not my fault) ohh and did i mention SO MANY DAM PROBLEMSSS!!!! ughhhh so yah i dontthink ill buy another beetle again..and coming from a future car designer this is bad..design is good..reliability...not so good