2000 Volkswagen New Beetle - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:
Lov my Bug
By gank on 07/07/13 13:58 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

I needed a commuter car. I bought my yellow bug used at 100K km. I now have 380K km on it. I replaced the clutch about 40K ago, upgraded to a racing clutch without the double throw. The car has has brakes at the normal interval, had to have have the AC repaired last year after 12 years service. Everything else works great, I hope to get 500K on her, the only issue I have is the running boards are too easy to rot out... but its a cheap fix. Im now looking for another TDI for the wife... BTW I drive it like I stole it and average 53-56 MPG Oh yeah, women seem to like the yellow beast.

Solid, zippy, reliable, 48mpg(70%hwy) -54mpg(95%hwy) stock!
By genegenre on 12/15/12 20:47 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 2000 Beetle tdi in 10/11 with 110k. It is now 12/12 and after getting a job as a courier recently, I have put about 40k miles on it. Zero break downs. Since I've owned it; 1. had to replace starter 2. AC compressor failed 3. Cruise control failed 4. stock speakers all blown (I listen to jazz & NPR so lil disappointing) 5. original shocks/struts really wearing out... Not perfect but damn good where it counts. The interior panels and dash are cheap and look awful but the seats are comfy. I sit in it 6hrs a day now & am very pleased with the lumbar support. Eng hums @ 70-80 and through rolling hills of Pittsburgh, I got 48mpg b4 w/ a 24mi trip to work now 50+ nearly all hwy.

178K and still going strong!
By bali1 on 12/11/12 13:01 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

I love my beetle! I bought it in 2008 with 104K miles on it, and it has been a road warrior! Up to 178K miles and still no problems! Replaced water pump and belts at 120K and just regular oil changes. Awesome, reliable car. The front grille keeps coming off because I keep scraping it on the ground (admittedly I have very poor parking skills) so low clearance is my only problem, but that is also what makes it so zippy! If you are looking for reliable transportation this is the car for you!

Very glad I bought it, so sorry that someone else totaled it.
By mpls5 on 11/30/12 19:19 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

This was my first new car, every other car I ever had, including a 1974 superbeetle convertible, started at over 100,000. I had some small problems the first 5 years. No problems the next 5. Drove pretty rough the last 2, but probably mostly my fault. :) I really wanted to get the car to 200,000-probably would have if a 21 year old hadn't sideswiped into me at 75 mph, sending me spinning across three lanes of interstate and into a cement barrier. Car dented on 3 sides on the outside, none on inside. Airbag didn't deploy and didn't need too, though I did get sore. Very safe car. Handled a lot of less than ideal conditions- well, including spending over 10 yrs in MN, only 1 yr of it garaged.

Good car if it's taken care of.
By chasecm on 08/13/12 14:06 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I bought my vw beetle a few months ago, and I have had a few problems. I had to replace the ball joints, and the catalytic converter the first week. However It was my fault because I purchased a vehicle without getting in inspected like I should have. I believe vws are good cars if you take care of them. So when you buy one used, just be careful not to buy one that has not had its scheduled maintenance like it should have.

Will always be my favorite and possible only type of car!!!
By frunklaje on 08/12/12 20:51 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

Awesome little bug! It can carry a lot even three dogs, nice spoiler,(not a surprise it comes out at 90mph) great mileage have gotten 40 on highway, very small and compact but still a lot of head room. PS: Very strong panels. Ran into a van, van got a dent but no scratch on the beetle.

Great engine
By greg2877 on 07/27/12 05:44 AM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

I gave this little car 4 stars for the engine only. It is very sound and will last forever, if you keep up with the regular oil changes. I bough the car 2 years ago, and had to do zero repairs for the engine. The inside is a different story. The only thing solid for the car is the engine and the steering wheel. A lot of the inside is made of plastic and actually, under the hood, a little tongue comes out to open the hood, and that broke off, so now I have to magician my way to open it. It's tricky but can be done. The inside is breaking. The sunroof,door handles, locks, and glovebox. I would say, the inside would cost me around $1000 to get fixed. If I do the work myself.

Bullet Proof!!!!
By 2000vw on 04/08/12 21:14 PM (PDT)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

i purchased my vw 2 years ago with 133,000 miles on it and have had no problems with it ...took it to florida on spring break doing 85 mph all the way made it from indiana on 1 tank getting 52.3 mpg love it:) its got 204,000 on it now bout time for water pump and timing belt replacement just normal wear...i love my car:)

Fun car but its falling apart
By bbo on 12/27/11 14:39 PM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLX 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car brand new and it was a fun car to drive. I love this car and still love this car but random parts of the car started falling off like the interior door handle, the window regulator, pretty much every plastic piece. my head lights burn every 3000 miles and my rear passenger side fixed window fell off on the freeway. The radio went out and the defroster doesn't work well. I a little electrical issues.

this car is ok nothing to write home about
By terrynikkomay on 11/11/11 09:01 AM (PST)

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T Turbo 2dr Hatchback

I bought this car 3 1/2 years ago and i had it repaired a few times ,like heater hose was rusted through ,then the air bag light came on due to when you move the seats it cuts the wires thats for the seat air bags happened 3xs then gas lid would not open so i disconnected it then when it snows you cant get trunk lid to shut after opening it ,shocks are bad rough ride ,car vibrates on freeway and hard to control on windy days also plastic break off easy in side like glovebox etc