Used 2000 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Lov my Bug
By gank

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

I needed a commuter car. I bought my yellow bug used at 100K km. I now have 380K km on it. I replaced the clutch about 40K ago, upgraded to a racing clutch without the double throw. The car has has brakes at the normal interval, had to have have the AC repaired last year after 12 years service. Everything else works great, I hope to get 500K on her, the only issue I have is the running boards are too easy to rot out... but its a cheap fix. Im now looking for another TDI for the wife... BTW I drive it like I stole it and average 53-56 MPG Oh yeah, women seem to like the yellow beast.

Mileage, heated Seats, design,

a 4 door?

Solid, zippy, reliable, 48mpg(70%hwy) -54mpg(95%hwy) stock!
By genegenre

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDi 2dr Hatchback

I bought my 2000 Beetle tdi in 10/11 with 110k. It is now 12/12 and after getting a job as a courier recently, I have put about 40k miles on it. Zero break downs. Since I've owned it; 1. had to replace starter 2. AC compressor failed 3. Cruise control failed 4. stock speakers all blown (I listen to jazz & NPR so lil disappointing) 5. original shocks/struts really wearing out... Not perfect but damn good where it counts. The interior panels and dash are cheap and look awful but the seats are comfy. I sit in it 6hrs a day now & am very pleased with the lumbar support. Eng hums @ 70-80 and through rolling hills of Pittsburgh, I got 48mpg b4 w/ a 24mi trip to work now 50+ nearly all hwy.

Handling. I can lift my foot off the clutch and take off on a 15 degree incline from a stop with no right foot.

Too much head room. I am 6' and have 6" of space above me! A chop top would mean even more mpg! Plastic interior components scratch and crack.

178K and still going strong!
By bali1

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback

I love my beetle! I bought it in 2008 with 104K miles on it, and it has been a road warrior! Up to 178K miles and still no problems! Replaced water pump and belts at 120K and just regular oil changes. Awesome, reliable car. The front grille keeps coming off because I keep scraping it on the ground (admittedly I have very poor parking skills) so low clearance is my only problem, but that is also what makes it so zippy! If you are looking for reliable transportation this is the car for you!

Very glad I bought it, so sorry that someone else totaled it.
By mpls5

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

This was my first new car, every other car I ever had, including a 1974 superbeetle convertible, started at over 100,000. I had some small problems the first 5 years. No problems the next 5. Drove pretty rough the last 2, but probably mostly my fault. :) I really wanted to get the car to 200,000-probably would have if a 21 year old hadn't sideswiped into me at 75 mph, sending me spinning across three lanes of interstate and into a cement barrier. Car dented on 3 sides on the outside, none on inside. Airbag didn't deploy and didn't need too, though I did get sore. Very safe car. Handled a lot of less than ideal conditions- well, including spending over 10 yrs in MN, only 1 yr of it garaged.

1. Love driving at night with the interior red and blue lights - felt like I was in my own little space ship. 2. Other drivers treat you better when you are driving a bug. They let you merge much more easily and wave you into their lane when traffic is stop and go. 3. Fun to drive and had good pick up and braking. 4. Transmission lasted me entire 162,000+ miles and I am not the gentlist stick shift driver. 5. Was rear-ended 3 times with barely any damage to my vehicle & barely even a muscle ache afterword. In one incident I was at a full stop and a BMW behind me, who was also at a full stop, was rammed into my car at 70 mph by a car behind him. His car was totaled, mine just scratched up.

1. 6 cd disk holder never worked right. 2. O2 Sensor touchy and unhelpful. 3. Cupholders were ridiculous.

Good car if it's taken care of.
By chasecm

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Hatchback

I bought my vw beetle a few months ago, and I have had a few problems. I had to replace the ball joints, and the catalytic converter the first week. However It was my fault because I purchased a vehicle without getting in inspected like I should have. I believe vws are good cars if you take care of them. So when you buy one used, just be careful not to buy one that has not had its scheduled maintenance like it should have.

Cute car Fun to drive

The interior quality could be greatly improved.